Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Dec 28, 2008, 10:42 AM   #1

Hi, Does anyone know how to find out how many times a cameras shutter has been fired. Is it a feature only found on the top end DSLRs or would my D40X have it?.

It would be very useful when buying a camera to know what sort of usage it has already had.

Thanks.

Also a Very Happy and Prosperous New Year to all.

deadshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 28, 2008, 7:04 PM   #2

Opanda.com has an exif viewer that I recommend for anyone with a digital camera. It allows you to view the camera settings used to capture the shot being viewed. It also can show how many actuations were taken by your camera. I know it works for Nikon and not about any other make.

I am not sure if a refurb is reset by the manufacturer but it would be good to find out if you are buying a used camera from someone else and all you need to do it take a shot. Upload the image on your computer/laptop and use the exif viewer to see how many shots were taken with that camera.
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2009, 6:57 AM   #3

Thank's for the reply.

How would this work along side Photoshop Elements? as I do have exif data on that but it doesn't seem to show any shutter usage, not that I recognise anyway. Would Opanda and P/Shop fight one another so that I would have a problem?.

Cheers
Old Jan 4, 2009, 7:29 AM   #4

deadshot wrote:
Quote:
Thank's for the reply.

How would this work along side Photoshop Elements? as I do have exif data on that but it doesn't seem to show any shutter usage, not that I recognise anyway. Would Opanda and P/Shop fight one another so that I would have a problem?.

Cheers
As long as you have sufficient disc space, the two programs shouldn't conflict or cause any problems.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2009, 10:05 AM   #5

Thanks for the info. Ihave downloaded the Download 1, they have 2 and 3 up there at the moment. I don't know what the differences are between the 3 of them but 1 seems to tell me quite a lot. Interestingly I have gone back to the first photo's I have recorded and it shows that over 300 shots have been taken . I know I played with the camera before actually taking a photo worth keeping but I doubt very much ifI would have fired off over 300. So I wonder how many test shots if any Nikon make on a body before sending it out. My one, I was told by the dealer was coming straight from Nikon. Mmmm makes you think doesn't it?. Anyway thanks to you guys a very useful bit of software.

I have just looked at my recent shots and have now, in less than a year, got over 1400, amazing.

Incidentally the dealer I bought from last January has recently folded just before Christmas, after moving into larger premises.

A sad sign of the times.