Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Jan 4, 2009, 4:53 AM   #11

I don't see the pattern in the full shots but I can see what appears to be JPG artifacts in the crop. What compression levels are you using for the in camera shot and for saving the RAW conversion?
Nagasaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2009, 7:13 AM   #12

One more for the I can see them brigade but only in the reduced sizes not in the full sizes. I have the top quality monitor that Dell sell for what it's worth.
deadshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2009, 12:44 PM   #13

I thought to check the exif information and see that on the JPG image you're using an image quality of basic. I'd always use fine and I'd recommend at a minimum normal. I'm not surprised you get compression atifacts using basic.

Ken
Old Jan 5, 2009, 9:11 AM   #14

I see that pattern on the full screen shot but it goes away when I zoom in. maybe it's just a monitor issue. How do they print?
ReneB3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2009, 8:20 AM   #15

Hello,

I printed it out right now, and yes, I can see an interference pattern. And to be fair, I printed out a D70s image I took that was better exposed and again I was not happy with the print either. (The eyes got really dark when I printed the image.)

Actually, when I 1st got the Nikon D70s, I was getting ready to get blown away with the image quality (after reading Ken Rockwell's & The Strobist writing about the camera) and then when I took my 1st pictures, viewed them on screen and printed them I was completely unimpressed. (Especially the eyes. The eyes just seemed so muddy compared to my Pentax.)

I chalked it up to just having to figure out how to use the camera.

So over the past three months or so, I just kept trying to work with the camera.

But the images didn't get much better. And every now-and-then an image would come along that had this "grid" interference pattern.

So, one day (about a month ago?) I took a really close look at the eyes, and that is the first time I noticed what I called the "odd pixelation."

So I posted one of the images (This thread) asking how I could get rid of this pixelation / grid pattern.

Nobody seemed to have an answer, so I thought to myself. Am I just imagining this, so I went and opened up the image and looked at it very closely & that is when I noticed that there is the "horizontal & vertical" patterns embedded right into the image. [I've gone back over my other D70s images and have noticed these H&V Patterns in most of my images whether exposure was fairly good or not. There was only one image I noticed where the H&V Patterns were almost unnoticeable.]

This thread was my last ditch effort to try to find out how to get better image quality from this camera.

For anyone that is interested, here is a link to the original RAW file. (To download to your computer, I think you just right-mouse-click on the link.)

http://www.tacticdesigns.com/picts/DSC_1146.NEF

Any help or suggestions on how to get rid of this pixelation in-camera is still sincerely desired and will be greatfully accepted & appreciated.

Take care, yours truly,
Glen

tacticdesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2009, 3:17 PM   #16

Well, I do see the pattern. It almost looks like a texture filter was applied. I begin seeing at about 66% magnification. I've never seen this with any nikon camera and cannot begin to offer an explanation. The shot is underexposed a little over 1 stop, but the pattern is not what is usually seen with noise. And it's not compression artifacts because I looked at the RAW file. Did you buy this camera used from a reputable source?? If so, I would look at returning it, or possibly sending it in to Nikon for a repair estimate.

In terms of muddy colors, the D70 doesn't produce vivid images at default setting right from camera. You'll either need to load one of the custom curves available or tweek the images in photo shop.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2009, 4:58 AM   #17

Looked at the RAW file and also took a close look at one of my D70 shots. I can't really see a similar thing on my D70 shot so as RJSeeney says it may be a fault on your camera.

I can see a pattern at around 66% but on my monitor it's less evident at 100% than at 66% so that may be an issue with the monitor or Photoshop. The patttern is very evident at 200% and above. However if I use bicubic smoother and uprez the image the effect is far less evident.

Ken

Old Jan 7, 2009, 10:05 AM   #18

Hi All,

Rather interesting phenomenon. Include me in the group that can readily see the grid on my monitor when viewing the image. However, when I saved the file and then opened it in Photshop Elements 6.0 , Voila!, the grid pattern magically disappears.

It's actually quite a nice image of your child.

Zig

zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2009, 4:21 PM   #19

Well, this is late to the game but I have a D70 and when taking portraits of my kids using an SB-600 flash I too notice the interference pattern on skin tones. Guess it's just another flaw related to the D70's moire problem?
poiedney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2009, 6:59 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by poiedney View Post
Well, this is late to the game but I have a D70 and when taking portraits of my kids using an SB-600 flash I too notice the interference pattern on skin tones. Guess it's just another flaw related to the D70's moire problem?
This is not moire, which is more of a wavy pattern is higher contrast , solid color areas. I think this problem is related to the editing program the OP is using. Since this post back in January I have come across this a few times and each time it was related to the RAW conversion of the image.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote