Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Jan 6, 2009, 2:58 PM   #1

Hi Folks,

I have a D50 I just adore, but I dropped it and now the camera is stuck in "Mirror Lock Up" mode, so it's going to have to visit a pro for repair. It's not a mechanical problem, it's a software issue. I've tried all the resets and whatnot to no avail.

It's out of warranty, so do I send it to an independent or contact Nikon? I live in the sticks so there's no locals who can help. Heck, there's no "locals" at all!

Do I just send it off to some shop in NYC and hope for the best? What if the repair is more than the camera is worth?

I'm really not sure where to start...so I started here.

Thanks ya'll...

~Chuck
Chuckracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 6, 2009, 3:05 PM   #2

You should probably send it to Nikon for a repair estimate. If it's less than $2-300, go ahead and get it fixed. More than that, you're better off picking up a used D80 body, or a new D40-40x-60. the only issue with the D40-60 is the lack of focus motor which will somewhat limit the lenses that will autofocus on the camera. If you have newer lenses, then it's no big deal.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2009, 11:24 AM   #3

Thanks you! That's the nudge I was looking for! :-)
Old Jan 29, 2009, 4:35 PM   #4

As a follow up, I sent the camera to Nikon, and 2 weeks and $154 later, it's back in my hands, probably cleaner than it's ever been and works terrific.

Thanks for the suggestion...it was right on the mark!
Old Feb 20, 2009, 2:01 PM   #5

Hi, what a coincidence. Same thing happened but not because of a drop. It juts happened when I was shooting. Suddenly, all came black and the battery was suddenly drained. Everything happened in a flash. Took the baby to Nikon Canada. Well...it's going to be 229$cdn. Much higher than I thought. If you could have your D50 repaired for around 150$. You're a lucky man or Nikon Canada doesn't repair cheap. Cause of that, I'm thinking of upgrading to D90. Went to my camera store. Have to say that I fell for a Canon 40D with 17-85 IS for 1289$ cdn. I'm really mixed up now. Help. Karmin
Karmin is offline   Reply With Quote