Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Jan 11, 2009, 10:49 PM   #1

I just recieved the D80for christmas (a small gift to myself, the wife was non toooooooo happy) and I'm starting to play around with it. Well this weekend I got out to do some fishing and took it with me. THese a re some of the pics that i have taken and would like your input. I did not use any program to fix them up, it is straight from the camera to computer to the board. Thank you and I look forward to ya'lls input.

The first one is of an old push boat (same as a tugboat, but pushes instead of towing it):

This one was in the am just before I put the boat in the water:

This is a telphone booth on an old bridge, I can't understand why it was put hear:

I took this the day before, I saw some guys flying at a local RC airport:

I look forward to your help.

Weedy

MrWeedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 12, 2009, 11:55 AM   #2

Hi Weedy.

What help, exactly, are you looking for? Are you looking for a critique of your photos here or is there a specific problem you're trying to address?

The reason why I ask is it will affect the type of advice you get. Also with regards to critiquing the photos these are all different photos and the critique / advice on each will likely be different.

So, if you give us a better idea what it is you're looking for we can act accordingly.

John
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2009, 6:50 AM   #3

JohnG wrote:
Quote:
Hi Weedy.

What help, exactly, are you looking for? Are you looking for a critique of your photos here or is there a specific problem you're trying to address?

The reason why I ask is it will affect the type of advice you get. Also with regards to critiquing the photos these are all different photos and the critique / advice on each will likely be different.

So, if you give us a better idea what it is you're looking for we can act accordingly.

John
John,

I'm sorry for not being more specific, more or less just trying to get them critiqued! I am just learning on the new camera and these were the best that I came out with. The last one really can't do much with, at least I don't think so anyway. Again, this is one big learning process and I am a baby at all this! Thanks for your input and I look forward to your help!

Walt
Old Jan 13, 2009, 10:19 AM   #4

OK. Here is my take then at some constructive feedback:

Image 1: used an aperture that was too wide - a shallower aperture would have kept more of the scene in focus. Also the lighting was very harsh so the image looks washed out. This is the challenge with photographing outdoors. The time of day is important. Looks like you took the shot at 10:50 - a time in winter when lighting is going to be it's harshest. I think with greater DOF and at a different time with lesh harsh lighting it would be a compelling image. This is also an image that even with those adjustments could benefit from post processing - mostly to brighten it up and add contrast to different areas. It's the details of the boat that would make it interesting - so brightening the boat without brightening the whole image - as well as USM (unsharp mask).

Image 2: Watch having your horizon at the center of the frame - try to apply the rule of thirds. In addition to that adjustment, the image is a bit flat. With the bright water this would have been a great opportuity for an HDR image.

Image 3: Certainly curious. As a photograph though there are 2 suggestions for improving it. First the sky is blown out and thus distracting. A different time of day would again give less harsh lighting. In addition a neutral density filter would help protect the sky from being blown out. Secondly, composition again. The subject is at dead center with the bridge bisecting the image. I know intuitively people want to place the subject in the center of the frame but from a composition standpoint it is not usually as appealing.

Image 4: subject fills way to little of the frame. RC aircraft are small and it takes close physical proximity and a long lens to get a good shot of them. You really want the aircraft filling about 1/2 the frame in-camera to be able to crop down and retain enough detail for it to be interesting.

Glad you're enjoying the new gear. Keep shooting and I would encourage you to continue to post photos. I would strongly encourage looking at our "theme" forums here (landscape, people, sports etc) - don't just limit yourself to input from other nikon shooters. And especially the Critiques and Techniques forum. You can get lots of good advice and feedback from people that use other brands of camera equipment.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2009, 10:38 AM   #5

Thank you, your input was just what I was looking for. The words green behind the ears do not even begin to desribe me:G! Any and all help is taken into to my small brain and helps me out for the future. I was kinda scared to post it into the theme forums, mainly due to the fact that I am sooooooooooooooo green at this. Next time will post in the themed area. Again, thank you for your hrlp.

Walt