Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Jan 15, 2009, 12:20 PM   #1

Ihave just seen a post over here stateing that Nikon have just increased the prices of their cameras .I checked it out on Nikons site and it's true.

The D300 has risen by about £100, you can convert that into $.

Over here our economy is in tatters at the moment as I beleive yours is in the States.

So it looks like their will be even more retailers closing down,especially if Canon and co follow suit.

What a good time to increase prices, just as everyone has to watch their pennies.:?

I for one will be putting my change to the D90 on the back burner.
deadshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 15, 2009, 1:13 PM   #2

Check out Thom Hogan's website, http://www.bythom.com. He talks on the front page about why some of these changes will be occurring soon in the US, although he states increaases will typically be incurred on lenses and accessories. Considering pricing has remained stable or only slightly decreased despite the relative weakness of the Yen to other currencies, it's suprising it hasn't happened sooner. Nikon's margins and financial predictions were based on a much stronger Yen. to meet their goals and expected margins, a price increase is neccessary. Yes, money is tight for everyone, but it's tight for Nikon too. If your production costs go up (in this case it's not production, it's currency exchange rates), a price increase is expected, especially if volume is already down. They're not "mad", it's just a necessary business decision.

Nikon has to watch their pennies too.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2009, 3:57 PM   #3

The same is happening here in Canada as well. Another factor in these situations is that although counter-intuitive, specialty products and services tend to increase in price amidst an economic downturn. Most people figure prices should drop when times are tough to stimulate sales, and that is in fact what happens in many instances. However with specialty items/services there are a limited number of purchasers to deal with and most of them will be buying despite a price increase for the most part. Whereas with items that everyone buys, it's much easier to offer a price reduction and keep sales flowing to meet targeted sales goals.
goomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2009, 7:00 AM   #4

rjseeney wrote:
Quote:
Check out Thom Hogan's website, http://www.bythom.com. He talks on the front page about why some of these changes will be occurring soon in the US, although he states increaases will typically be incurred on lenses and accessories. Considering pricing has remained stable or only slightly decreased despite the relative weakness of the Yen to other currencies, it's suprising it hasn't happened sooner. Nikon's margins and financial predictions were based on a much stronger Yen. to meet their goals and expected margins, a price increase is neccessary. Yes, money is tight for everyone, but it's tight for Nikon too. If your production costs go up (in this case it's not production, it's currency exchange rates), a price increase is expected, especially if volume is already down. They're not "mad", it's just a necessary business decision.

Nikon has to watch their pennies too.
http://www.nikon.co.uk/customer_serv...tJanuary09.pdf

This will show you what I am on about.As you will see it's not just lenses etc.

"Mad"was just me being provocative.

I hear what you are saying but I was in business for myself for over 40 years and putting prices up during a recession was always counter productive and a definate no no.

Time will tell where it will end up but camera retailers are folding over here as we speak.

This wont help them at all.
Old Jan 16, 2009, 9:08 AM   #5

Quote:
I hear what you are saying but I was in business for myself for over 40 years and putting prices up during a recession was always counter productive and a definate no no.
I get what you're saying, but it's just not the camera industry that's raising prices. All my bills and expenses have gone up...grocery, utilities etc all have higher prices today than what they were 18 months ago. In fact I don't see any industry going out of its way to cut prices to help the consumer out. I run a business too, and prices have gone up in my business in some cases 30-40% on some items. I can't afford to not raise prices, as the cost to me has gone up. Are you saying if you sold an item for $10 that cost used to cost you $5 and now costs you $8 or $9, you wouldn't raise the price?? If a business does not maintain it's margins, it eventually won't be able to cover it's fixed costs.

I'm not defending Nikon, or saying it's a good thing that prices are going up, but it is what it is. For what it's worth Canon is doing the same thing. These price changes are ocurring because businesses want to do it..they have to do it.Believe me, it's not just camera business that are struggling.

Old Jan 16, 2009, 9:29 AM   #6

It's obvious that when a company has it's back to the wall that they will increase prices but you cant help wondering about companies like Nikon who are well able to discount and make special offers on models that are not the latest.Sometimes by 40%.

Honda UK have announced today that they are closing down for 2 months as they are not selling cars. Lets hope and pray that it sorts itself out.
Old Jan 16, 2009, 9:38 AM   #7

deadshot wrote:
Quote:
It's obvious that when a company has it's back to the wall that they will increase prices but you cant help wondering about companies like Nikon who are well able to discount and make special offers on models that are not the latest.Sometimes by 40%.

Honda UK have announced today that they are closing down for 2 months as they are not selling cars. Lets hope and pray that it sorts itself out.
Unfortunately, that discounting is done at a loss (or close to it..it's certainly not profitable) especially on camera bodies, which carry narrower margins.

Things are going to radically different in the future..many formerly strong companies will go away, and replaced by stronger, better run companies. It's cyclical, and the strong will survive. I think Nikon and Canon can weather storm mainly because they are the coice of working pro's and other people who make a living off their products. Nikon and Canon also have other interests (printing, optics, etc). sony should be ok too...the other's...Olympus, Pentax etc..may struggle.

I'm glad I made a big investment in gear last year!!

Old Jan 17, 2009, 12:34 PM   #8

Just as a matter of interest our local dealer has increased the price of the D90 body only, by £90 today.
Old Jan 21, 2009, 1:45 PM   #9
TC3

I have been thinking of getting a 2nd sb600 to go with the one i have and my D90. I had no luck finding a sb800 for less than 250 and that was too steep for me as i will only be using the set up for scale models of buildings. 2 days ago sb600 was avaliable for £145 but that has gone up 20 quid today. I ended up ordering from a USA company and shipped to a USA address to save shipping. I will pick it up when i am out there is a few months and i paid £134 in total. Did not want to wait until i was out there in case prices rise out there like back in UK
TC3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2009, 1:19 PM   #10

TC3 wrote:
Quote:
I have been thinking of getting a 2nd sb600 to go with the one i have and my D90. I had no luck finding a sb800 for less than 250 and that was too steep for me as i will only be using the set up for scale models of buildings. 2 days ago sb600 was avaliable for £145 but that has gone up 20 quid today. I ended up ordering from a USA company and shipped to a USA address to save shipping. I will pick it up when i am out there is a few months and i paid £134 in total. Did not want to wait until i was out there in case prices rise out there like back in UK
We live in the same county. Have you noticed how little stock Digital Depot seem to be carrying lately?. Nearly everything you look at says "out of stock".

By coincidenceI have been buying sports equipment fornearly 40 yearsand it doesn't seem to matter how strong or weak the £ is against the $, the same equipment is always a good deal cheaper in the USA. I used to have relatives over there and would do the same as you have done but it's not an option any more. I know a sportsequipment manufacturer who has stopped exporting his stuff to the USA as he tells me they wont pay his prices. So it appears that we always pay the top dollar for every thing over here. I bought my flash off of E Bay and saved quite a bit but I am nervous of buying a camera that way.