Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Oct 23, 2003, 8:04 AM   #1

Default shift lens on DSLR

Any experience with 28mm nikkor shift on any of the DSLR's?

Is the focal multiplier a problem?

thanks,
dr
synthesisdv is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 23, 2003, 11:40 AM   #2

Why should there be a problem ? The multiplier is 1.5 (on Nikon D-series which I prosume you are talking about) and this will give you a 42mm lens. Not very usefull for that much I will say.
Remember that a multiplier over 1.0 only "works like a zoom" and therefore will produce no vignets, if that was what you are thinking about.

The mount on DSLRs depends on the lens' mount. Old ones will not provide you with many of the digital feature you will meet on a DLSR today.
Klaus DK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2003, 2:45 PM   #3

I have read that the imager chips in the dslr's like the light rays parallel. This is why there are now lenses specifically for dslr's beyond the reason of the multiplier effect.

The shift lenses must throw the light at extreme angles to the imager plane. Not sure what effect that will have.

dr
synthesisdv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2003, 6:06 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by synthesisdv
I have read that the imager chips in the dslr's like the light rays parallel. This is why there are now lenses specifically for dslr's beyond the reason of the multiplier effect.
It is very difficult to make the rays in parallel. In general, the criterion is that the rays hit the sensor with an incident angle less than or equal to 6 degree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by synthesisdv
The shift lenses must throw the light at extreme angles to the imager plane. Not sure what effect that will have.
Shift or perspective control (PC) lenses use the front group to see the subject from a different angle. The rear group of elements focus the altered light rays onto the image plane. Thus, light rays won't hit the image plane at extreme angle. The actual or major cause is that most PC lenses are of wide angle type, and older wide angle designs normally force the the light to hit the image plane at extreme angles. This is the reason that most lenses claimed to be digital friendly are wide angle zooms! Nikon has a 80mm PC lens, too!

CK
http://www.cs.mtu.edu/~shene/DigiCam
Nikon Coolpix 950/990/995/2500/4500 User Guide
shene is offline   Reply With Quote