Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Feb 27, 2009, 8:34 PM   #1

I hope this is posted in the correct place, but I figured you Nikon users could help me out better than anyone else. I am looking to purchase either a D80 or D90. I'm no professional, or even great photographer by any means, but I do love to take pictures, mainly wildlife, sports, or my kids. (you can see what I do at http://www.mkklein.smugmug.comfor an idea).

The D80 seems like it would be OK for me, but I like that the D90 takes video. A couple of friends who have used bothprefer the 90, but is it really worth the extra money?Whichever camera I buy, I want to make sure that it's something that I can grow into and that I won't regret later on, wishing that I had purchased a better camera.

Also, what are the big/main differences that I would notice, if any?

ETA:I also am wondering about where to purchase? Newegg has a good deal on the D90, butit seems likethey are being sold on eBay with a ton of extras for the same price. What's the deal with that?

ride16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 27, 2009, 10:31 PM   #2

Hi, I just took a look at your Smugmug page. You have some very nice shots there. I love the dogs. I also started out with the DMC- FZ20. I was a great camera. I am sorry I sold it. As for your question. In my opinion, for what it's worth, I would go for the D90. I have a D300 that I upgrade to from the D80. The D80 was a very good camera, but I was really blown away with the D300's high ISO capabilities. It is supposed to have nearly the same picture quality and exposure as the D3. I have read it's the best Nikon camera for the money. I have no numbers or concrete proof of this, just what I have read. I am sure others can and will provide the specific tech points. I found the D90 for $889 ( body only) on Amazon. The D80 was $649(body only) at Amazon as well. I know you'll need lenses but the basis for comparison should still be valid. Good luck, I am sure you will be happy with either choice. I don't know if it helps but I have D80, and FZ20 shots on my Smugmup page if you'd care to look. This gallery has many D80 shots. Just click the photo info (i) button to see which photos were taken with which camera.
http://scienceguy.smugmug.com/galler...11147123_92cyb

Cheers.... Steve
smac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2009, 5:54 AM   #3

The D80 is great...I still own one. However, it is over 3 years old, and falls short of the D90 in every category. Unless money is a huge issue, you're better off with the D90.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2009, 9:52 AM   #4
Administrator

Quote:
also am wondering about where to purchase? Newegg has a good deal on the D90, butit seems likethey are being sold on eBay with a ton of extras for the same price. What's the deal with that?
Be careful with Ebay vendors. If it's a gray market camera (one that was not intended for sale in the country you live in), Nikon USA will refuse to service it, even if you are willing to pay them for the service (and they'll be able to tell by the serial number).

A lot of the Nikon gear you see for sale from Ebay vendors is gray market. So, stick to Authorized Nikon Dealers that offer a Nikon USA factory warranty if you want to make sure you can get your camera serviced later. Often, vendors will make misleading statements in their listings (for example "1 Year USA warranty"), when they mean a store warranty (and it may not be worth the paper it's written on since they may not be able to get parts and don't have the expertise needed to correct issues).

I'd suggest sticking with a reputable vendor like http://www.bhphotovideo.com

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2009, 8:55 PM   #5

On the other hand, there are many very legitimate vendors that sell through ebay, such as Cameta Camera, who's every bit as reputable as B&H, Adorama, etc.

Cameta specializes in Manufacturer's refurbs and demo models that cost significantly less than new, but are indistinguishable from brand new items. They typically come with a 90 day manufacturer's warranty and a 1 year store warranty. And of course, warranty extensions are available (although generally, these cost more than they are worth). Cameta's Demo/refurb models are not grey market, they are authorized U.S. models, and will be fully supported by the manufacturer's service.
DougJGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2009, 9:31 AM   #6
Administrator

Cameta is a reputable vendor. I almost mentioned them when I made my post (and probably should have). So, thanks for mentioning them.

I've purchased gear from Cameta in the past (including multiple lenses that were factory reconditioned), and they all arrived as described in perfect condition.

A number of the forum members here bought factory reconditioned Nikon cameras from them, and unlike many other Ebay vendors that sell gray market Nikon bodies (that Nikon USA will usually refuse to service), Cameta sells Nikon gear that was intended for sale in the U.S.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2009, 3:30 PM   #7

Steve - wonderful pictures!

Thanks for the suggestions. I ended up ordering a Nikon D90 from Butterfly photo. They used to sell on Amazon, and I saw it had a 1 year usa warranty, but of course now I'm wondering if it's a NIKON USA warranty. :sad: Guess I'll find out when it gets here on Monday. The Nikon mfg number was the same - would that be true if it was a grey market camera?
ride16 is offline   Reply With Quote