Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Mar 23, 2009, 7:51 AM   #1

I've tried every setting and every change the menu allows and I still can't get rid of the bulbloption on manual mode... even with no flash or wireless attached... if I set the shutter speed to sync at 1/250, the next option down in mode setting is bulb then 30"... if I set the shutter sync speed at 1/60, the next option down is bulb... I can't set the camera in manual to a 1/125 sec shutter speed...even without doing any flash work and no flash devices attached!!! Help... I'm stuck... Thanks in advance...
Cynthia
cynthrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 23, 2009, 10:13 AM   #2
NHL

Is the 'Auto-ISO' on?
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2009, 5:57 PM   #3

Hi,
I just turned it on, and nothing changed....switched things around with it on in case something is stuck... went to P and A and S... auto iso on and off... no change... any other ideas?
Many thanks again... help!!!
Old Mar 24, 2009, 6:07 AM   #4
NHL

I'm running out of idea as in 'Auto-ISO' one can limit the lowest shutter speed that the camera would not go under...

How about reset the whole camera to the default factory settings?
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2009, 6:52 AM   #5

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

NHL wrote:
Quote:
I'm running out of idea as in 'Auto-ISO' one can limit the lowest shutter speed that the camera would not go under...

How about reset the whole camera to the default factory settings?
In addition to the factory reset, I would also try removing and reinstalling the battery. I would also try it with a different lens just to eliminate any variables.
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2009, 3:22 PM   #6

I'm not sure I understand what you're trying to do. You shouldn't need to even go into the menu system to set shutter speed....I don't know of any way to set the shutter speed using the menu. It sounds like you are in the flash sync menu, which you shouldn't even need to access unless you are doing flash work.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2009, 3:03 PM   #7

Yes, I do do lots of flash work and that's when the probelm manifested... I NEVER tried to use bulb... why did it appear?... now I can't get rid of it... with flash or without.. I did the reset, changed lenses, changed batteries....
I'm happy to hear any other ides...
Many thianks,
Cynthia
Old Mar 27, 2009, 6:56 PM   #8
Administrator

What reset choice(s) did you use?

Your camera has more than one reset choice. I'd make sure to use the "Reset Shooting Menu" choice you'll find in the camera's Shooting Menus, and also use the "Reset Custom Settings" menu option you'll find in your camera's Custom Settings menus. Something about a setting combination you have may be causing the issue.

What Flash Mode is the camera set to? If you have it set to something like Slow Sync or Rear Curtain Sync, I'm wondering if that could be limiting your shutter speed choices.

There is a slowest shutter speed with flash setting in the Custom Settings menu. But, it should only come into the equation if you're using a flash and happened to have the sync speed and slowest shutter speed in an odd configuration (I wouldn't expect Bulb to show up if a slowest shutter speed setting was the issue).. Resetting custom functions should go back to defaults with these setttings.

If the above still doesn't solve it, try opening and closing your built in flash a few times to make sure a switch isn't sticking somewhere (so that the camera's logic for limiting choices thinks the flash is raised when it's not). But, if no minimum shutter speed with flash is set in custom settings, that shouldn't be the issue (and if you reset those settings to defaults using the Reset Custom Settings menu option, that would take any settings changes you've made out of the equation).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2009, 7:09 PM   #9
Administrator

JimC wrote:
Quote:
What Flash Mode is the camera set to? If you have it set to something like Slow Sync or Rear Curtain Sync, I'm wondering if that could be limiting your shutter speed choices.
I'd probably look at Flash Mode first.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2009, 12:12 AM   #10

Are you at the "wrong" end of the shutter speed scale? The D300 displays the flash sync speed in the position next to the bulb setting as well as in other locations. For example, if you have the default sync speed set, you should see 1/60, bulb, 30", 25' ...

If you are varying the shuuter speed for different flah exposures would you not be using speeds higher up in the range? Say 1/30 - 1/250? If this were the case you won't see the bulb selection.

I can't remember the significance of the sync speed option next to the bulb setting but it's in the manual somewhere. I do remember reading about it once.
FrankD is offline   Reply With Quote