Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Mar 23, 2009, 5:03 PM   #1

I really want to purchase a telephoto lens for my D90 mostly for sports and wildlife shots but haven't a clue what to get willing to spend ~€1000 ($1300) was thinking of the Nikon AF VR 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6D ED not even sure it will work on the D90, all advice greatly appreciated. :?
gerreilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 23, 2009, 5:57 PM   #2
NHL

Do you really need VR?
If not try the Bigma, I use it on the D300 with great success: http://www.pbase.com/nhl/sigma_50_500

The advantages are multi-folds:
1. This lens has HSM (i.e. silent, faster, and full-time manual overide)
2. 500mm is better than 400mm
3. f/6.3 is only a third stop down from f/5.6 (i.e. negligible)

VR doesn't help much anyway in low-light: At longer tele the DOF is very thin so you don't want to use a lens wide open, couple this with low contrast, and the resulting images are not very good... So you'll end up with a flash anyway to overcome the bad lighting (to increase the contrast and saturation under the canopy of trees)

-> With a flash all handshakes are cancelled (i.e. the flash burst is so brief it'll freeze everything) - Check out this post were my handheld shutter speeds are way below the norm and no VR (or IS):
http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...967129#p967129
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2009, 6:00 PM   #3

I read a number of reviews for this lens on another website, and people with D70 & D50 cameras are using it, so I see no reason why it wouldn't be compatible with your D90. Your camera has the built-in focus motor in the camera, and that is required for autofocus with this lens. It will effectively be a 120-600mm lens on your D90 because it has 35 mm coverage. Here is the link to the website where I read the reviews:

http://www.slrgear.com/reviews/showp...uct/125/cat/13
jphess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2009, 5:02 PM   #4

Thanks a million guys for the prompt reply very helpful and informative.The Sigma 50-500 looks like the business it sure is one big Mamma of a lens and ticks all the boxes, I will be in the good old USA in the next coupla week might chance bringing it through customs way better value than here in Ireland :G

Old Mar 25, 2009, 6:52 PM   #5

What sports? Under what conditions?

This is important - the 50-500 has great flexibility but a 5.6 aperture limits you to shooting in bright sunlight. Heavy overcast or action under lights won't be possible. Even in good light, the problem with a 5.6 aperture is you have greater DOF (than a lens with f4 or f2.8) which means more of the background is in focus.

Not saying the bigma is a bad choice just that there is more to shooting sports than long focal length.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2009, 7:29 PM   #6
NHL

JohnG is right, the Bigma is a good widlife lens as compared to the AF VR 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6 but it's not a sport lens even with the faster focus speed and range; However, you're limited by the "willing to spend ~€1000 ($1300)".

A sport lens in this range is way out your budget:
http://www.adorama.com/NK40028AFVRU.html
-> It's a Bigger MAMA alright as you'll need an additional tripod for this... The other issue is because you have a Nikon body, this lens will cost you much more than a Canon counterpart (i.e. you can buy two Bigmas and some with the difference), but at least the warranty is 5 times better than the Canon... :-)
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2009, 5:29 PM   #7

What sports? Rugby my son plays Under 14 Under what conditions? Sunny, crisp icy winter days. I couldn't justify a Nikon 2.8 for the amateur photographer that is me. I take photo.'s for fun not for a living that would be work. The day that happens I will need to get a new hobby. Mostly I will use this lens when I am out hill walking (I know it will be an extra 4 pounds weight in my knapsack) in the wilds of the west of Ireland snapping shots of birds, :G the feathered type:shock: I know this lens will probably make me look like a perv. :evil:

I know John I wont get great DOF blur but that's what Photoshop is for as for Canon camera's NHL I'll like Nikon :lol:. Thanks again guys I think I'll wait a while befor I buy. :?