Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Mar 25, 2009, 6:40 AM   #1

Hey guys, want to learn more about taking good pictures and the controls and adjustments.
Check out this picture i have taken from my camera and hope to hear from you guys. Thanks a lot
Attached Images

reivaxeSL is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 25, 2009, 6:35 PM   #2
Super Moderator

Hi and welcome to Steve's. I've just moved this to the dSLR section rather than the Nikon point and shoot area.

From the exif it looks like you have a D40. I'm sure you will find some great advice so get stuck in, as questions and enjoy your photography and learning.#

Mark
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2009, 11:25 PM   #3

thanks sir steve, hope i can get a lot of advice and tips in here. i will post some of pictures later on and hope you can give some ideas how to get better pictures with my D40.
Attached Images

Old Mar 26, 2009, 1:24 AM   #4

Mark1616 wrote:
Quote:
Hi and welcome to Steve's. I've just moved this to the dSLR section rather than the Nikon point and shoot area.

From the exif it looks like you have a D40. I'm sure you will find some great advice so get stuck in, as questions and enjoy your photography and learning.#

Mark
Sorry for the wrong name, Sir Mark rather. I got confused caused when you say Steve, i just read moderator and i was thinking im in Steves forum. lol thanks a lot for the welcome again.
Old Mar 26, 2009, 4:35 AM   #5
Super Moderator

LOL, it's not a problem, I've been called far worse on here .

Which lenses do you have?

One great way to learn (apart from just getting out there and shooting lots) is to look at the work of other people and find the shots you would like to emulate then work on getting the results. Chat to the people who took the shots, post your work (good places are in the Post Your Photosarea where we have sections for people, wildlife, sports, close-up, landscape etc etc.

The Nikon dSLR section that you are now in is good for getting advice on the use of the camera, however as so much is similar on all dSLRs it is not essential to do so. There is also a section just below for Nikon lenses (lenses that work with Nikon dSLRS so could be made by Nikon, Sigma, Tamron, Tokina or any lesser manufacturer).

One warning as a new dSLR user; it can be addictive and take up a lot of your money as there is always something new you would like.

Mark
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2009, 10:47 PM   #6

Thanks a lot, I have the kit lense AF-S NIKKOR 18-55 mm 1:3.5-5.6 6 GII ED.
And for now im just trying to know the controls and adjustments. Im reading a lot from the forums and just what you have said try to emulate some of the photos, and i like to get a new lense that i can shoot for long range, not really a super telephoto but one that i can use as an alternate for longe range shot
Old Sep 22, 2009, 9:37 AM   #7

I just bought a new 35 mm f/1.8g lense and as Sir Mark says and warned me before the first time I post here, it can be addictive and its true.
Old Oct 10, 2009, 10:08 PM   #8

One thing i would suggest when taking pictures like this is to increase your f stop. This will bring the flowers in the background into focus. This is also known as increasing your depth of field.
StoneAge is offline   Reply With Quote