Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Mar 28, 2009, 7:02 PM   #1

After two years with a D80 w/ 18-135, I stepped up to a D90 w/ 16-85VR & 70-300VR. After studying for a week I have a couple D90 specific questions:

I used the Magic Lantern Guide for the D80. It was informative, but a bit judgmental (don't let the camera make decisions for you, you be in control - regardless). Is there a supplemental guide for the D90 that also offers extended information, besides the MLG?

The D90 offers "Multiple exposure": A single image will be recorded from a number of shots. This features is cover in the manual but does not explain the value of its results. I have tried this and don't see a huge jump in image quality. Is this a High-Dynamic-Range type of feature for really contrasty situations?

Thanks, I'm looking forward to lots of good photo fun.

Garry
GSFinlay is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 29, 2009, 7:32 AM   #2

Thom Hogan publishes very informative, detailed guides for nikon cameras. They are available from his web site, www.bythom.com.

Multiple exposure is not used for HDR. It is more of a creative mode. Wikapedia has an article with some examples of it's use.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2009, 10:46 AM   #3

Thom's writing is the best, especially on Nikon products. I have not become as comfortable reading the screen vs. the page – and it's harder to make notes in the margins.

My question about the multiple exposure shooting mode (not image overly in the touchup menu) is still there. You only have two choices: 2 or 3 shots and auto gain on or off. I have not found an example in Wikipedia / Wikapedia for this. Guess I will have to experiment more. Thanks,

Garry
Old Apr 1, 2009, 11:54 AM   #4

Here is another, more detailed article.

http://www.natureworkshops.com/multi...e_-_part_1.htm
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2009, 7:25 PM   #5

I've got it.

The "Multiple exposure" shooting mode is an automated "Image overlay". It takes the next two or three exposures and combines them into a single photo. The only control the photographer has is the framing of the multiple shots. Only one image is created. (You do this before taking the photos).

The "Image overlay" in the retouch menu lets the user select two photos to overlay into a single image. The original photos are still available and the new overlay are produced. (You do this after taking the photos).

The description is pretty vague in the manual. Thanks,

Garry