Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Mar 30, 2009, 1:57 AM   #1

We have our basketball tournament and i been taking pictures of our game in very fast actions. But i can't take a good shot and most of them are like ghost.lol

Kindly give me some tips and settings on how to get a clear picture ina basketball gamesfast astion. Thanks a lot.
reivaxeSL is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 30, 2009, 3:51 AM   #2

The D40 isn't a great camera for basketball. Gyms are typically poorly lit, and that makes it tough to get fast enough shutter speeds to freeze action. You will need to shoot at the highest iso (1600 on your D40). If you have a fast lens available (f2.8 or better) use it. You'll need shutter speeds of at least 1/500 to freeze action. You could get by at 1/250 if you can time you shots at the peak of action (eg, the top of a jump). Flash is another possibility, but you'll have to be careful, many gyms don't allow flash, because it can be distracting to the players.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2009, 4:16 AM   #3

Thanks a lot sir rjseeney, i'm just new with this SLR thing and its really great getting tips from a seasoned photographers. I will take your advice but for now I havent get other lense for my camera, only the kit lense is the oneI am using. We are playing outdoor at night time and with lots of lights.

But is it still possible that i can get a good shot with my D40 and with the kit lense ihave right now.

Regards,
reivaxeSL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2009, 7:52 AM   #4

Your current setup isn't going to get you many usable shots shooting under lights. Those lights look bright to your eyes, but they aren't to your camera. An external speedlight would really help you out. Unfortunately, sports shooting is equipment intensive - especially in low light. If this is important to you, you might want to consider renting an 85mm 1.8 lens from a local camera shop.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2009, 8:09 AM   #5

reivaxeSL wrote:
Quote:
Thanks a lot sir rjseeney, i'm just new with this SLR thing and its really great getting tips from a seasoned photographers. I will take your advice but for now I havent get other lense for my camera, only the kit lense is the oneI am using. We are playing outdoor at night time and with lots of lights.

But is it still possible that i can get a good shot with my D40 and with the kit lense ihave right now.

Regards
Yes, it's possible, but it won't be easy with the equipment you have. You may get a keeper out of every 10-20 shots. Alot will depend on timing...as I mentioned before, snapping at the top of a jump, or shooting the instants prior to or just after motion. You really need f2.8 lenses and 3200 iso capability to be able to get consistent results without a flash.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote