Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Apr 4, 2009, 4:50 AM   #1

I am an architecture student and I need to buy a DSLR camera and a decent lens for my projects.I need to take a decent photos of buildings and lanscapes,especially focusing on some elements of the buildings design or just the overall building (magazine style).I never had an DSLR camera before, so this would be my first one. Any suggestion for the lens would be good as well.I apperciate any help:-).thx

My budget is $600_$1500
pepprmint is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 4, 2009, 9:11 AM   #2

Purely in terms of IQ, the D90 is the best choice of the cameras you list. However, it's not that simple. for architecture and landscape (and really any photography), the lenses are the critical piece of the puzzle. Since the type of shooting you mention is static, you may be better off pairing the D60 or D80 with better glass.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2009, 9:24 AM   #3

thx,but what kind of lens do you recomment for those kind of photography which I mention above?
pepprmint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2009, 8:35 PM   #4

The Nikkor AF-S 16-85mm f/3-5-5.6G ED VR DX is quite popular with the landscape photographers and also serves well as an all around everyday lens. Its relatively small maximum aperture could be a little limiting for low light situations but you could use a flash if necessary.

Most zoom lenses do exhibit a certain amount of geometric distortion which might be an issue for architectural work. This lens performs reasonably well in this regard. Check out the review at http://www.photozone.de/nikon--nikko...or_1685_3556vr

FrankD is offline   Reply With Quote