Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Apr 5, 2009, 11:20 AM   #1

I want to photograph an airplane on the runway as it approaches me and continue the photos as it passes me through lift off. I plan to set the shutter to "CH" and the focus to "C". If I swivel the camera and keep the focus rectangle in the viewfinder on the plane, will all the photos be in focus?

Thanks . . .

gstephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 6, 2009, 5:25 AM   #2
Super Moderator

Using Continuous focus and High speed continuous shooting you are going to have the best chance of getting the shots in focus. Will they all be in focus?? Nope, but a lot will. No camera will get focus tracking right 100% of the time.

What lens will you be using?

You might find that when shooting a depending on its colour and how bright the sky is that the exposure could be off so you might need to dial in some exposure compensation.

Are you talking about shooting a jet or a prop plane? With a jet then shutter speed is not an issue you can go as fast as you can get, but if shooting a plane with a prop then you want to use a slower shutter speed to get some movement in the prop otherwise it looks unreal.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2009, 6:38 AM   #3

Lens: Nikon 18-200 VR - Location: Private airport - Subjects: Three small planes, all propeller driven. The largest plane is a six passenger Beechcraft. I will stand on the runway and the backdrop is very tall trees. After shooting each plane separately,will look at the photos on a computer monitor in the hanger. During the first pass, will set the camera to "Program" andtinker with compensation and shutter speeds on the subsequent passes.

Thank You for the reply
gstephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2009, 6:59 AM   #4
Super Moderator

I really wouldn't waste time on prog mode, you really want to use shutter priority and start at 1/320s which will give you a good amount of prop movement (you can play with this later if you decide that you want more or less movement. Set the ISO so that you have an acceptable aperture, I would suggest looking something that will give about f7.1 or f8 and after that just play with the exposure compensation adjusting the ISO if you are losing too much aperture.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote