Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Apr 20, 2009, 4:49 AM   #1

I recently purchased a D40 with 18-55 kit lens, and I am very pleased with the results from it's uncluttered 6mp sensor.

However, I now wish to get some cheap prime lenses. I have seen some good used E series primes particularly the 28mm f1.8 (giving 42mm on the D40)

I am quite happy to focus and meter manual, as I have in the past, but wondered if someone can answer the following for me regarding using these lenses on the D40 ?

1. Will I view at full aperture up to the point when the shutter is fired, and will the camera then shut down the aperture I have set on the lens to record the image?

2. Are the aperture settings shown on the lens the same when used on the D40 sized sensor, or do they change by say 1 stop?

Thanks
joggerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 21, 2009, 5:10 AM   #2

Anyone ?
Old Apr 21, 2009, 7:25 AM   #3
Administrator

When you set the aperture via the aperture ring using a manual focus lens, the aperture blades should be closing down to the selected aperture.

Quote:
I am quite happy to focus and meter manual, as I have in the past...
Just to make sure you're clear on how this works. You will not have a meter (no indication from the camera letting you know if your settings are resulting in underexposure or overexposure before taking a photo). The meter is inoperable using a non-CPU lens with a D40. This is not the same as using manual exposure on a camera that has a working meter. ;-)

So, you'll need to estimate the exposure needed, using playback/histogram features as a guide to how your settings for shutter speed/aperture/iso speed are working, adjusting as needed via trial and error for the lighting conditions you're shooting in. The least expensive Nikon dSLR that can meter with a non-CPU lens right now is the D200 (or D300 if you want a newer model).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2009, 1:04 PM   #4

JimC wrote:
Quote:
When you set the aperture via the aperture ring using a manual focus lens, the aperture blades should be closing down to the selected aperture.

Quote:
I am quite happy to focus and meter manual, as I have in the past...
Just to make sure you're clear on how this works. You will not have a meter (no indication from the camera letting you know if your settings are resulting in underexposure or overexposure before taking a photo). The meter is inoperable using a non-CPU lens with a D40. This is not the same as using manual exposure on a camera that has a working meter. ;-)

So, you'll need to estimate the exposure needed, using playback/histogram features as a guide to how your settings for shutter speed/aperture/iso speed are working, adjusting as needed via trial and error for the lighting conditions you're shooting in. The least expensive Nikon dSLR that can meter with a non-CPU lens right now is the D200 (or D300 if you want a newer model).

That's fine. I have a hand held meter which I have had for many years.

My main question was whether I would get to focus with the lens at full aperture up to the point when the camera stopped the lens down, or whether I would need to stop the lens down before pressing the shutter?

Old Apr 21, 2009, 3:00 PM   #5
Administrator

You won't have any aperture coupling between a D40 and a manual focus lens.

So, if you set the lens aperture ring to f/8, your viewfinder should reflect that. If you want to focus with the aperture wide open, you'd need to set the aperture ring that way while focusing, then turn the aperture ring to your desired f/stop setting before pressing your shutter button to take the photo.

Old Apr 21, 2009, 3:10 PM   #6

Thanks for that
Old Apr 21, 2009, 5:55 PM   #7
Administrator

If you go that way (manual focus lenses), you may also want to consider a third party split prism type focus screen, depending on what you're shooting.

That way, you'll have a bit more accuracy, since the factory focus screens on most dSLR models can leave something to be desired.

Here's one option:

http://www.katzeyeoptics.com/item--N...-prod_D40.html