Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Apr 29, 2009, 2:38 PM   #1

I've been using my D70 for some 3+ years now, and I'm looking for a camera with more than 6MP. My main photo subject is collectible coins, but I also like photographing (for fun) airplanes (from inside and out) and landscapes.

For the macro shots, my primary use, I have Sigma 180mm and 105mm lenses, and the camera stays on a copy stand.

I don't want to spend the money for the D300/D700 because I don't think the benefits they provide are worth it for my purposes. However, the D90 and D5000 look quite similar, and I'm debating either paying a bit more for the D90, or paying the D5000 price for a slightly used D90. The two big differences I've noticed between the two cameras are the D90's pentaprism viewfinder and in-body focus motor. However, I haven't seen too much on what those really mean.

If anyone can shed any light on how the cameras compare (I realize the D5000 isn't in your hands yet), I'd appreciate it. If you have any other thoughts, I'd appreciate those, as well.

Thanks,

Jeremy
airplanenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 29, 2009, 3:02 PM   #2
NHL

I would always go for the "in-body focus motor" because it'll give you more option in the lenses
-> This way you won't be limited by any lens option...
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2009, 3:30 PM   #3

I would agree with NHL...if you're upgrading from a body that has a focus motor, you'll likely have some lenses that require a focus motor, and in that case the entry level cameras aren't really a step up. In addition, the D70 is fairly well featured, so you also be giving up some functionality and control you may be used. You're best bet would be to get a D90, maybe a D80 if you can still find one new.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2009, 5:28 PM   #4
NHL

airplanenut wrote:
Quote:
For the macro shots, my primary use, I have Sigma 180mm and 105mm lenses, and the camera stays on a copy stand.
Not that you'll need it since macro focus are done manually anyway, but theses two lenses will no longer AF on the D5000 for example...
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2009, 7:22 PM   #5

That seems like a pretty convincing argument for the D90. Now the other question... does Nikon usually come out with a Summer rebate, or should I just plunge and get one now?
airplanenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2009, 8:31 PM   #6

airplanenut wrote:
Quote:
That seems like a pretty convincing argument for the D90. Now the other question... does Nikon usually come out with a Summer rebate, or should I just plunge and get one now?
The D90 is still fairly new. Mostly I think rebates are tied to the current exchange rates...if the yen falls against the dollar, you may see some rebates from Nikon. It's impossible to predict with certainty. Prices have been slowly going up and the dollar has recovered somewhat against the yen, so rebates are a possibility. I wouldn't bank on it, and I don't see any point in waiting if you need a camera now. Any rebates would likely be small, and rebates typically have only been on body/lens packages or lenses alone, and likely be under $100. Not a significant amount.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote