Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old May 12, 2009, 5:22 AM   #1

Default Remote Release for D40 - Question?

I heard that there is a remote non-wired shutter release for the D40.

Does anyone know if it operates only with line-of-site or can it be fired from the hand from any position?

Thanks
joggerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 12, 2009, 8:15 AM   #2
Administrator

Nikon's ML-L3 Wireless remote (compatible with your D40) is infrared.

The infrared receiver is built into your camera body (it's located in the upper part of your camera's grip). So, you'll need to be in front of your camera to use it.

You'll also need to set the camera to expect a signal from it. Your D40 has shooting mode options for "Quick Remote" or "Delayed Remote" (with a 2 second delay) when you want to use it. There is also a separate timer setting that determines how long the camera will stay in Remote mode (1, 5, 10 or 15 minutes) once selected.

Nikon publishes the range of this remote as approximately 16 feet.

http://www.nikonusa.com/Find-Your-Nikon/Product/Remote-Cords/4730/ML-L3-Wireless-Remote-Control-(Infrared).html
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2009, 8:17 AM   #3

I've one of these amd I've used it on a D70 and D80. It's really line of sight although the signal will reflect of things. I fixed a piece of kitchen foil in front of the sensor to use the remote from behind the camera and it worked surprisingly well.

Ken
Nagasaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2009, 8:59 AM   #4

OK once again Iím the odd ball

I bought a third party remote for my D50 from a company called Jianisi
The first thing I intended to do was figure out how to rig a reflector so I could use it from behind the camera.
As it turns out I didnít need to. Iíve tried indoors and out and have yet to find a position where it does not fire the camera.
Maybe I just got lucky??
tjsnaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2009, 2:16 PM   #5

Thanks everyone for the info.
joggerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2009, 2:37 AM   #6

I found a Phottix Plato on eBay which I bought to use on my D300. It works perfectly (so far); it's radio (2.4GHz) and the max range is around 100 metres. One of the neat things about it is that both the transmitter and the receiver each use one AAA battery, which are readily available.

- Wil
Wil Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2009, 6:53 AM   #7
Administrator

Wil:

The radio controlled remotes won't work on a D40 (the D40 is missing the connector that a wireless receiver plugs into).
Old May 15, 2009, 11:08 AM   #8

Hi Jim, According to the instructions, Phottix make a number of leads with different connectors for different cameras, so that the Plato can be used with a variety of cameras. I guess I didn't look hard enough for the D40; my bad, sorry for the confusion!

- Wil
Wil Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2009, 12:07 PM   #9
Administrator

Unfortunately, the D40 has no connections for any kind of add-on shutter release (wired or wireless). Remember, this is an entry level body. ;-)

The only option available other than depressing the shutter button on the camera body is the use of an IR remote (that takes advantage of the IR receiver built into the D40's grip). Note that there are some third party IR remotes available for it. So, some of those may have more range compared to the Nikon model.