Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old May 30, 2009, 10:27 AM   #1

Default toploaders/holsters

As anyone had a problems with the holster/ toploader type camera bags.
I have a D40X +18-200m lens and I am a bit worried about the weight of the body sitting on top of the lens, especially as I am going to get the D90 or D5000 body soon(Ihope). I wonder if it is bad for the lens?. I have always used bags that my camera lays flat in.
Thanks for any input.
deadshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 30, 2009, 10:15 PM   #2

I use a Lowepro Nova 2 AW with my D300 plus 18-200 (and sometimes the 105 micro, which is bigger), and have found that by carefully positioning the internal dividers, I can have them support most of the weight of the body, and still provide enough space for the MB-D10 grip, 50 mm 1.4 lens and 3 battery packs, leaving all the pockets still available for memory cards & things. The trick is to pack slightly tighter so that things don't rattle around. HTH -

- Wil
Wil Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2009, 8:17 PM   #3

Never had any issues; started using mine with a Nikon f3+motor drive, on an 80-200/4.5
Same bag works fine with my d80+grip with 18-200 VR, or 70-300VR. Hope thishelps.
Dave
dlynch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2009, 7:08 AM   #4

I have now ordered and received the Lowepro Zoom 1 Toploader and it fits my gear well. Including flash gun and spare battery.
The main reason for me changing was weight, this one only weighs in at 200 g.
Thanks for the replies.
Old Jun 10, 2009, 7:26 AM   #5

How big of a lens can you fit in the Zoom 1? I'm trying to find a bag that can hold my d80 with the 70-300 on it.
justinmikehunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2009, 7:31 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinmikehunt View Post
How big of a lens can you fit in the Zoom 1? I'm trying to find a bag that can hold my d80 with the 70-300 on it.
I have now got my topload zoom 1.
My D40x+18-200mm goes into it fine, also I have tried the D5000 + 18-200mm VR.
They are snug but fit in ok. Plus in the front pocket there is room for my sp 400 flash and a spare camera battery , memory card, small blower brush,2 spare AA batteries for the flash plus a small bottle of lens cleaning fluid.
However I have noticed what to me is a design flaw and that is ,in the lid is a zip pocket for things like cleaning cloths etc but it is a plastic pocket. I think it may scratch the rear screen on my D40x. They have put a small soft flap over the zip pull to proctect the screen but I have put a soft lens cloth just into the zip so that it protects the screen by laying on top of it when closed.
Perhaps I am being over fussy.Of course this wont matter with the D5000 as it has a swivel screen that can be turned in .
Old Jun 12, 2009, 8:33 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinmikehunt View Post
What I did , is I went into Lowepro's site, measured up my outfits depth then checked the dimentions that they publish to find out what internal depth I needed.