Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old May 31, 2009, 3:33 AM   #1

Default Odd D1H/80-200 issue

Friday I went to shoot baseball with my trusty Nikon D1H and Nikon 80-200. When I turned the camera on, I got the flashing 'FEE' error. Turned off and on, took battery out, put in spare battery, still problem persisted. Took lens off and remounted, cured it for a couple of seconds but then a slight 'pop' sound and error message returned.
Out of curiosity, I pulled out my 85/1.8 and that worked fine. Further curious, I took out the D50 from the office and put the 80-200 on, that combo worked fine as well. What's going on? Are the D1H and 80-200 simply mad at each other and not wanting to communicate? Do I just need to do a good cleaning of the contact pins on both? Or is my D1H developing a problem? On Thursday I had the D50's 18-55 on the D1H for a bit, shooting an inside event. At one point I could not get the autofocus to work at all, then it was suddenly fine. Any ideas?
Thanks,
Craig
murphyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 31, 2009, 1:47 PM   #2
Administrator

If your 80-200mm has an aperture ring, make sure it's set to the highest f/stop number (and you may want to move it in and out of that position to make sure it's making a good connection).

But, if you're seeing intermittent problems with more than one lens with the problems stopping briefly after remounting, it sounds like it's probably an electrical issue like oxidation on the camera's lens mount contacts or bad batteries if you're sure both of them were fully charged (and if they're old, they may not be supplying as much as they should be under load).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2009, 12:05 PM   #3

Thanks for the reply, Jim. I indeed moved the aperture ring, different battery, different card, etc. This morning I tried my three other lenses, all worked fine on the D1H. Put the 80-200 back on after spraying air on both the camera and the lens, as soon as I put the lens on and tapped the shutter, click sound and 'FEE' error. The lens still works on the D50. Fortunately most sports are almost done (just one baseball team still going) so it's about the best time for a camera problem, not that there is a 'good' time of course. I'll try to find a local camera shop to see if someone can take a quick look at it.
Thanks again,
Craig
Old Jul 22, 2009, 11:44 PM   #4

I ended up sending them in, the lens could probably use a good cleaning anyway. If there's a problem with one I'd rather it be the body, since I can get another D1H pretty cheap. I just hope to know by early August so I can have a camera ready for fall sports season.
Old Jul 23, 2009, 6:45 AM   #5
Administrator

Let us know how it works out. I'd suspect batteries if the contacts are clean.
Old Jul 31, 2009, 12:53 AM   #6

I'm searching for another D1H or a D2Hs if I could find one, but most likely it'll be a cheap D1H body. Nikon quoted $375 to repair a problem it calls "LCD DAMAGED" which makes no sense to me, both because the LCD wasn't damaged when I sent it in and because that doesn't seem related to the problem. I denied that repair, accepted $114 for work on the lens since the lens could use a good cleaning anyway. I asked them to send the D1H back, if worse comes to worse I can slap on my old Sigma 70-300.
Craig
Old Jul 31, 2009, 8:14 AM   #7
Administrator

That's too bad. It looks like Adorama has a couple of D1H bodies:

http://www.adorama.com/catalog.tpl?o...eras&Startat=1

I don't see any at http://www.bhphotovideo.com or http://www.keh.com right this minute. Ditto for a D2Hs body. I do see a couple of D2H bodies at keh.com. But, the D2Hs would be preferable given the potential for meter issues with the D2H.

Do you need the performance of a higher end body (AF system, frame rate)? You may want to consider getting a newer mid range body instead. For example, you could pick up a used D80 for around the same price as a D2H.
Old Aug 3, 2009, 8:25 PM   #8

Jim--
Thanks for the feedback. My budget is rather limited right now, and my wife's recent visit to the hospital tightened it even more. We have a car that needs new tires before winter hits, so the budget is tighter yet. I was going to use the leftover money my dad gave me for a laptop (birthday gift), but that margin has been spoken for. I have a source where I can get a D1H for about $150, basically a stop-gap measure. If my current D1H only acts up with the one lens, I could use it as a back-up to a different D1H or even primary for most shooting assignments.
I'm leery of the D2H because of the shutter issue and all I've read about high ISO noise. I shoot a lot of sports, so I'd prefer the D2Hs for that reason. Because of the amount of sports, I would strongly prefer the pro-level Nikons with the focusing and FPS. My D70 has been a faithful trooper, but it feels like a point and shoot after having a D1H for so long.
Old Aug 9, 2009, 1:01 AM   #9

My D1H came back yesterday with more problems than when I sent it off. The display window behind the on/off switch (which lists the mode, shutter speed, pics taken, etc.) is dead. The glass there isn't broken, but the screen where that info. is displayed somehow got smashed and is now mostly black. Tried some test shots, sounds way off and no images being recorded. Looks like there was damage while shipping, already contacted Nikon and now have to find my UPS receipt. Needless to say, for sure I need to buy a new body. I just hope they didn't screw up my lens as well.
Old Aug 25, 2009, 6:59 PM   #10

Still have to settle things with UPS, been too many pots on the stove. At least the lens came back in good shape, cleaned and everything. Plus I got a real cheap D1H that sounds healthy, even if it looks ugly. I'll have to do some test shots this week to make sure everything's ready for upcoming fall sports.