Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Jun 10, 2009, 12:17 PM   #1

Default Help with D70

Hey guys, I'm new here and looking for some help. I've had a D70 body for a while and haven't done anything with it, but I'm going to Thailand in a couple of weeks and figured this is the perfect time to get the little guy out.

The only problem is, I'm far from knowledgable when it comes to camera equipment and I'm pretty stumped on what lenses to get for my camera.

Idealy, with me going backpacking and travelling light, I want a pretty well-rounded, versatile lense to take with me, but advise on other wide-angle, portrait, tele, fisheye, macro, whatever etc I can get further down the line would be greatly appreciated.

I have a pretty limited budget at the minute, so I've been looking on Ebay with my reletively modest knowledge, for some nice second hand lenses and there's a few that I'm watching with a keen eye. Before I committ to anything, I thought it'd be best to come here and ask the experts advice before I buy a dud.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...m=150350077653

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...m=130310517224

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...m=150350401766

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...m=110399769453

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...m=250439423372

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...m=250439424441

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, and if you find any better ones for a similar price (less than 100, if possible) it'd be great if you could aim me at them.

Thanks guys!
pauly_j is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 10, 2009, 12:53 PM   #2

You seem to be set on that 50 mm lens. Do you want a moderate telephoto? That is what you would have with that lens. Personally, I like the 18-55 mm zoom lens. It is relatively sharp, and provides a lot of flexibility. If you are looking at getting a prime lens you might consider the new 35mm f/1.8. It is getting good reviews. It would be a normal lens on your camera. Only problem is, they are nearly impossible to find right now.

Since you say you haven't used your camera much, I would advise you not to hurry and purchase new lenses now. You need to take some time taking photos and evaluate what you want to photograph that you are not able to do now. What lenses do you have presently for your camera?
jphess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2009, 1:00 PM   #3

I don't have any lenses for it at the minute, just the body. That's why I need one pretty urgently!

I'm not set on the 50mm, it's just what I'd been advised as a good normal lense, so any advice is appreciated

thanks for the help

Are there any 18-55 lenses I should look at in particular? There are so, so many to choose from.

Last edited by pauly_j; Jun 10, 2009 at 1:15 PM.
Old Jun 10, 2009, 1:21 PM   #4

With your camera, 50mm is not a normal lens. The sensor is smaller than 35mm film, so you have to multiply focal lengths by 1.5 to get the 35mm equivalent focal length. Here are some equivalents:
18 mm equals 27 mm
35mm equals 52 mm
50 mm equals 75 mm

You get the idea. 18-55 mm lens is the equivalent of one of the old standard zooms in 35mm terms, 28-80 mm. I would recommend that you purchase a Nikkor brand lens. If you purchase one with the VR designation then it will have vibration reduction which can contribute to sharper images in some instances. It can help reduce camera shake if that is a problem for you. Personally, I think it is more valuable in longer lenses. I don't have it on any of my collection.

I have the D40 with the 18-55 mm kit lens. I also have a 55-200 mm Nikkor lens, and a Sigma 18-200 mm lens. I like all three lenses, but I find that I use the 18-55 most of the time. The longer lenses come in handy occasionally, and I'm glad I have them. Actually I purchased the 55-200 first and decided that I prefer having an 18-200, so I purchased the Sigma lens for budgetary reasons. I like the lens, but it's a little heavier. So I find that I don't use it as much as I thought I would. I have tried on occasions to sell my 55-200, but no one seems to really be interested. It doesn't have VR, so a lot of lookers shy away from it. It seems that some people feel that if VR is available it is an absolute must. Personally, I don't worry about it.
Old Jun 11, 2009, 12:15 PM   #5

Cheers for the help!

I'm having a look into some of the Nikon kit 18-55 lenses, because apparently the new Nikon AF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G ED II DX isn't very good.
Old Jun 11, 2009, 12:55 PM   #6

I'm not sure where you are getting your information. I realize that on some of the forums there are those "experts" who find a way to tear down any lens that isn't professional quality. But I have the 18-55 ED II lens, and I don't have any complaints. I'm posting an example. It is two images stitched together with Photoshop. It was taken with the lens we are talking about. I don't know how well it will display in its reduced form, but I am happy with it full-screen on my monitor.
Attached Images

Old Jun 11, 2009, 1:27 PM   #7

Default another try

Let's try one that is a little bit larger.
Attached Images

Last edited by jphess; Jun 11, 2009 at 1:33 PM.
Old Jun 11, 2009, 5:20 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jphess View Post
Let's try one that is a little bit larger.
That is pretty slick, I must admit. Is it shopped at all?

I didn't hear it was rubbish on any other forums, because this is the only camera forum I've ever looked at. It was a couple of reviews where I'd read that it wasn't really worth owning.

I appreciate the feedback though! I think I'll mostly be mixing it up between pictures of awesome landscapes and touristy stuff I should probably use a compact for, so I do need a pretty versatile lense.

Last edited by pauly_j; Jun 11, 2009 at 5:24 PM.
Old Jun 11, 2009, 9:21 PM   #9

I used Photoshop primarily to adjust the contrast and to add a little definition to the clouds. But I think that would have been required with just about any lens or camera. While I agree that the lens isn't the greatest available, I think it is a little better than the review that you read. But that is a decision you are going to have to make. And it depends on your demands and expectations from your images. My picture without a doubt could have been better. But it's good enough for me, so maybe I'm not the best one to be advising you on what lens you should purchase.
Old Jun 12, 2009, 2:17 AM   #10

Hi guys, I came across this thread and had to chime in, hope you don't mind. I agree with jphess that the 18-55 is a good lens. When I owned my D50, I had the 18-55g, supposedly the worst lens ever made by any lens maker, but I got a lot of decent shots with it. I have included an early example. My dog is eight weeks old in this pic, he's now 22 months old, and I no longer have my Nikon, but I still have many great pics I made with that lens. This is one I used radial blur on, and some saturation, but the original pic wasn't bad. I always wished I had more focal length, then Nikon came out with the 18-70. That might be a thought, if you can find a deal on one. Robert

Hawgwild is offline   Reply With Quote