Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Jun 21, 2009, 9:44 PM   #1

Default New: Nikon D40x

I have had this camera for a little over a year and a half now. I use it mostly for shooting cars and building. I would like to get more info on messing with the setting to get the shots perfect. I use CS3 and CS4 to touch up the raw photos but some still dont come out just right. I own a detailing company and when I finish a car I want the shot to be perfect so I can put it up on my website.

Same pics from this evening

Also you can see the rest of my photos at
http://sullysdetailing.com/Customer_Cars.html
Sullysdetailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 21, 2009, 10:30 PM   #2

I think the flash looks really harsh. Nice truck though
JakAHearts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2009, 10:34 PM   #3

I was trying to get is to wear the flast was only on part of the truck. You see it in some photshoots for cars but I dunno if that done in the editign or not. I have more pics on the website listed under the pics. Thats my dads truck. My truck is the red Mitsu on the website, the Black GTI on the website is my old car, and the eclipse was my first car.
Sullysdetailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2009, 11:46 AM   #4

I think you have some good ideas. You just need to work on your technique a little bit. It might be a good idea to shoot during the twilight hours, but I think you would get a better effect if you position yourself so that you can take advantage of light reflections of from the vehicle. The flash is providing a rather harsh fill light that is not very flattering, even on a vehicle. I haven't tried this, but I have a little Nikon SB-400 flash, with a Sto-fen diffuser attachment that really softens the light. I think it would help a lot in the type of photos you are taking. Just keep experimenting. You will find the solution eventually.
jphess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2009, 11:20 PM   #5

Default D40x

Hi....rather than get into a long discussion about your camera settings the first thing that hit me was the background in the images. First the contrast of sky versus trees is very distracting. Second, the other vehicles in the background have gotta' go! Try to place your trucks/cars against a uniform background that compliments the color of the vehicle. Dark vehicle-light background.......light vehicle-dark background. You want the viewers eye to be drawn to your vehicle not the surrounding distractions.
Waterboy17 is offline   Reply With Quote