Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Jun 27, 2009, 11:30 AM   #1

Default nikon software suite vs adobe DNG

Some while ago Jim C advised me how to to get my RAW files from my D40x onto Photoshop Elements 4 via an Adobe DNG converter. All has been good except now I have updated to a D5000 and installed the Nikon software with View NX because niether my Adobe DNG converter nor photoshop El. 4 would open the RAW files. I can play with them in the Nikon software then convert them into J pegs but the Adobe Dng converter was better as it allowed me to enlarge the raw photo to a decent size. I cant get the picture large enough on my screen, just a soppy 6" x 8" size.
Perhaps this is as good as it gets?? More likely I am doing it wrong again.
Thanks
deadshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 27, 2009, 12:01 PM   #2
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadshot View Post
Some while ago Jim C advised me how to to get my RAW files from my D40x onto Photoshop Elements 4 via an Adobe DNG converter. All has been good except now I have updated to a D5000 and installed the Nikon software with View NX because niether my Adobe DNG converter nor photoshop El. 4 would open the RAW files
Install the latest version of Adobe's DNG Converter if you want to convert your D5000's raw files to DNG. The latest 5.4 version supports your D5000. You'll find links to download pages for both Windows and Mac platforms on this page:

http://www.adobe.com/products/dng/
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2009, 1:25 PM   #3

Brilliant ! Thanks Jim, sorry I'm such a muppet.
Trouble is I never went digital until my 70th Birthday, so my feet are firmly set in the steam radio age.
Thanks again for your help.
Best wishes
Deadshot a.k.a. John
Old Jun 27, 2009, 2:07 PM   #4
Administrator

No problem. It can be quite confusing to most users. ;-)

Raw files tend to be different between camera models (even when they have the same sensor resolution and file extension, data tends to change between them impacting byte offsets, metadata interpretation, and more).

So, most tools designed to read these files need to be updated to support newer camera models.
Old Jun 28, 2009, 5:37 AM   #5

Jim C,
Your reply is interesting regarding different cameras, as I have now downloaded the 5.4 version you advised. Although it is definately a better tool regarding the adjustments available, getting the image from the camera into a DNG adjusting it in P/S then converting it to J.peg (j.peg 2000 a new format?) is taking me a long time ,so many stages to get from one to the other. The D40x was simple by comparison.
I feel sure I must be doing it the hard way. So I will keep plugging away to try to find some easier ways, if they exist.
Regards
Old Jun 28, 2009, 6:11 AM   #6
Administrator

Converting to DNG first is a hassle. It's easier to use a product that directly supports raw files from your camera (so that you eliminate the raw to DNG conversion step).

But, with Adobe's products, you'll have to upgrade to newer versions periodically if you want to use the latest Camera Raw plug-in versions.

Your D5000 was added in Adobe Camera Raw version 5.4. But, the Camera Raw 5.4 plug-in is not compatible with versions of Photoshop earlier than Photoshop CS4, versions of Photoshop Elements earlier than Photoshop Elements 6.0, or versions of Premiere Elements earlier than 4.0.

If you upgrade to the newest version of Elements, you can use the latest Adobe Camera Raw plug-in that works with your camera. You may also want to give Adobe Lightroom a try (it's very popular). You can download a trial version from Adobe to see if you like it.

You may also want to try some of the non Adobe products around that support your camera. If you want fast, try Bibble. Like many other commercial products, you can download a trial version to see if you like it

http://www.bibblelabs.com

If you buy the current 4.1 release, you'll get a free upgrade to Bibble 5 when it's released (5 is still in development). I've been trying the latest Bibble 5 Preview release (Bibble 5, Preview 2.1), and it's coming along nicely (although not all features are finished yet). You can see more about it here:

http://bibblelabs.com/products/bibble5/index.html

The latest preview release appears to be rock solid as far as stability goes from what I can tell so far (at least under Linux, as I haven't tried the latest preview under Windows yet). I've had it running it under Mepis 8.0.6 (a free Linux distribution) since sometime yesterday without any crashes or errors. I like it because it's cross platform (Windows, Linux, Mac). The latest preview also supports the D5000. Just keep in mind that Version 5 is not a final release (it's still under development, so some features are not going to work right yet).

The new metadata search features in version 5 are pretty neat (allowing you to see photos taken at a given ISO speed, aperture, and much more). The released versions (4.x) would probably be easier to learn (since all features are working and they have some nice tutorials on their site to help you learn how to use it). But, it's a public preview, so you can download it and try it to see how you like it.
Old Jun 28, 2009, 6:46 AM   #7
Administrator

P.S.

I just tested a D5000 .nef file with the latest Raw Therapee 2.4 Release Candidate 2, and it works with raw files from your new camera, too. So, you may want to give it a try. It's free and runs under Windows or Linux.

http://www.rawtherapee.com

There are pros and cons to any of them. So, I'd download a few different converters (and most commercial products have trial versions you can test), try them, and see what you're more comfortable with from a workflow perspective.
Old Jun 28, 2009, 1:30 PM   #8

Many thanks for the info Jim C, I am sure many others looking at this will find it useful too.
Old Jun 29, 2009, 11:16 AM   #9

I have just found out something that has helped me. I'm sure jimC will know this but I am posting it in case it helps other muppets like me. After converting my RAW file to DNG, then moving over to P/S, after editing I was having to save it in Jpeg2000. What I have now found is that if I change the bit depth from 16 bits to 8 bits I can save it in a normal Jpeg over on My Pictures. It seems trying to save 16 bit images was causing me extra work, as reopening the Jpeg2000 file was a nuisance not to mention slow.
Thanks for your help JimC in helping me get this far.
Old Jun 29, 2009, 11:28 AM   #10
Administrator

JPEG2000 is interesting. Originally, I didn't think it would be adopted by many open source applications because of potential legal issues. See some old posts from me asking about it in this Google Group for OpenJPEG, which helps to track progress made in of some of the newer Libraries available for it (and I get e-mails as new posts are made to this group in order to follow it's progress):

http://groups.google.fr/group/openjp...8968417a?hl=en

Since this group was started, JPEG2000 has been adopted in many open source applications. One example is digiKam. It's also been adopted by more commercial applications. So, only time will tell if it will ever become a popular format.