Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Jun 29, 2009, 1:58 PM   #1

Default New D5000

Hi All,just bought the D5000, traded my P90. This Camera is awsome and is the first SLR I have bought since my old 35mm.
I have only taken about 50 shots yet but im impressed with the Overall simplicity in operation and menues.
It Is a great first SLR and is in itself a teaching machine for a first time user. More when i get used to it. It Comes with a basic lens, an upgrade is in order.Comments Appreciated.
RichardK

Last edited by RichardK; Jun 29, 2009 at 2:09 PM.
RichardK is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 30, 2009, 1:28 PM   #2

I have got the 18-200mm VR on my D5000 and had it on my D40X before that, personally I think it's a fantastic all round lens especially if you dont want to lug a sackful of prime lenses about(been there done that).
I have only had my D5000 a week and have just noticed that in Live View I cant program shift in Program mode, I am going to check this out with Nikon in case it's a fault. I'm also curious how Manual is going to work in LV.
On the other hand you can put in different apertures in A mode and different speeds in S mode.Then the camera will select the right S or A to go with your choices when you take the shot. In M mode you can put in aperture and speed but have no way of knowing where your at.Whats your take on this. There's nothing in the manual about either of these issues.
deadshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2009, 1:42 PM   #3
Administrator

Quote:
In M mode you can put in aperture and speed but have no way of knowing where your at.
Pressing the Info button should cycle between the information that is overlaid when in Live View mode.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2009, 2:44 PM   #4

Hi Jim,
what I am finding is in LV things are a bit hit and miss.
First of all, when going to LV the displayed settings are the ones left on from where I came from in non LV . I understand that due to the shutter position at this time the camera cannot meter.I imagine if the Auto ISO is flashing it is telling me something is wrong. Sometimes when I press the shutter I get a correct exposure and other times the exposure is completely overexposed, mainly because I think the ISO pumps up too high.
I went back to the shop I purchased it from ,they didn't know and asked me to contact Nikon.I haven't had time yet.
The main camera is great it's just the LV that's driving me mad.
Last week I spent quite a while working around RAW as you know, so I only started checking LV out yesterday.
Old Jun 30, 2009, 3:18 PM   #5
Administrator

Well, let me put it this way... I wouldn't buy most current dSLR models if I wanted to use Live View very often (at least not for moving subjects).

For the most part (with some exceptions), it's a "me too" feature that buyers can look for when comparing cameras, not necessarily something you'd want to use. For some still subject types, I can see it's benefits. For moving subjects, it's going to be a bit slower than desired with most current dSLR models (especially given the limitations you have with metering, AF, etc.).

The last time I used a Nikon dSLR, I didn't even bother to try the Live View. I did try it on an earlier Nikon model. But, I was so disappointed with it's performance, I forgot about testing it the last time I used new Nikon dSLR. So, you know more about it than I do if you've been trying to use it. ;-)

Please let us know what you come up with and what it's pros and cons are for everyday use.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2009, 5:42 PM   #6

I have failed to post on this thread twice today for some reason ,so this is just a test.
Old Jul 2, 2009, 5:53 PM   #7

Good ,I dont know what was wrong but after each time I posted I was informed I was not logged on, which I was .???
down to business, I have now been on to Nikon,some of the issues are buried in the handbook.As when opening LV the values are from the previous photo taken changing(and carry on running one shot behind) shutter and aperture by Program shift is not going to do much, as when you fire the shutter it will then take a reading based on what it sees and not on what you have set. If you are in S for example you can change the speed of the shutter but what aperture you get will be set by the camera when you fire the shutter. Nikon suggested that I take a test shot first to get in the ball park. Dont have Shutter Button AEL enabled as I had as it will lock your values at the previous shots settings and blow your picture apart probably( figured that out myself, Hooray).

Last edited by deadshot; Jul 2, 2009 at 6:09 PM.
Old Jul 2, 2009, 6:07 PM   #8

Nikon told me that there could be a firmware update out to sort this out but not to hold my breath.
JimC asked me what I thought of LV. Well it's no good in 3D tracking trying to take photo's of a child runnning around with a ball, as it's too slow to focus but something slow moving it is effective.It tracks well enough but by the time it's focused the subject has dissappeared
My reasons for liking it are ,No1, I can take low level shots without laying on the ground ,No2 Shots over the heads of crowds, no problem. No3 LV is good inside churches and Cathedrals etc when light is a bit too low through the VF.
No4 I often carry a Gorillapod and it makes it easy to see the subects(my wife and myself) from different angles.I.E when I clamp it to a tree branch.
So I am glad I have it, although I wont be using the Video function.
One more thing Nikon told me to disable Auto ISO other wise it will try to achieve your settings by pumping up the ISO sky high. For example if you take a garden shot !/500th at F11 then go indoors in poor light, it will attempt the shot by going up to iso 3200. Hence the test shot idea.

Last edited by deadshot; Jul 2, 2009 at 6:15 PM.
Old Jul 2, 2009, 7:06 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
Well, let me put it this way... I wouldn't buy most current dSLR models if I wanted to use Live View very often (at least not for moving subjects).

For the most part (with some exceptions), it's a "me too" feature that buyers can look for when comparing cameras, not necessarily something you'd want to use. For some still subject types, I can see it's benefits. For moving subjects, it's going to be a bit slower than desired with most current dSLR models (especially given the limitations you have with metering, AF, etc.).

The last time I used a Nikon dSLR, I didn't even bother to try the Live View. I did try it on an earlier Nikon model. But, I was so disappointed with it's performance, I forgot about testing it the last time I used new Nikon dSLR. So, you know more about it than I do if you've been trying to use it. ;-)

Please let us know what you come up with and what it's pros and cons are for everyday use.
For me, the main (and probably only) use for liveview is the magnified center spot when you're focusing with manual focus lenses. That's the only time I use liveview.
dnas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2009, 4:26 PM   #10

I have not been on these forums in a while since I have been sticking to my Coolpix 5700 for a while. But with the kids getting more active and dealing with shutter dealy and blury photos in dim light, I jumped on getting the Nikon D5000. It has the same sensor as the 90 as well as other features, and it is a nice step above the D40 and 60...with it's bigger LCD that flips out, the live mode, etc. Yes I normally don't use livemode but for a subject in front of you, it can work well. It seems many with point and shoot cameras are so use to shooting this way that when they want to take a photo with your camera, this is their method they choose to use. I have become a Nikon lover these past 6 years and have focused on their cameras. Yes Canon and others make camera that are equal in many ways, but it's like do you want a Chevy or Ford? Many love Ford, many love Chevy, a lot of camera buying is subjective, however Nikon just grabbed me with the way their cameras work and operate. Canon is the big giant and I prefer to buy a camera from a smaller company that focuses on cameras.....only, unlike Sony.

If the D90 is out of your price range, and you want a great camera under $1,000, I highly recommend the D5000.
Blueberry is offline   Reply With Quote