Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Jul 15, 2009, 6:59 AM   #1

Default SB-400 Sto-Fen diffuser

Hi,
Does anyone have any comments based on experience of the Sto-Fen Omnibounce Om-400 diffuser used on the SB-400 flash.
I am thinking of getting one but I am not sure whether they will reduce the flashes output too much.Which isn't terriffic as it is but I find it adequate for me.
deadshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 15, 2009, 9:50 AM   #2

hi
ive not used the sto-fen on a nikon but i have used it on a pentax, i found it to give great results, much softer. ive resently swapped over to nikon, i havnt got a flash yet, but when i do ill be getting a sto-fen diffuser for it.
kazuya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2009, 10:26 AM   #3

I have a Nikon D40, the SB-400 and the Sto-fen diffuser. For me this is an excellent combination. I haven't found that the diffuser "robs" too much of the light. However, when I use it I usually set the camera on Auto and let it control the ISO. I really like the combination. I get the results I am looking for and have no complaints whatsoever.
jphess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2009, 6:50 PM   #4

Default Nikon D-500 with SB-400 & Diffuser

Yes, I agree as well My combination happens to be the D-5000 camera with the SB-400 flash with a flash diffuser. My results are excellent. However, I do believe that the flash diffuser does reduce the flash output. Here is a sample photo.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Last edited by mtclimber; Jul 23, 2009 at 11:24 PM.
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2009, 6:53 PM   #5

Default 100% crop of the Above Photo

And here is a 100% crop of the above photo for your reference showing the subject's mouth and the left side of his face.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Old Jul 17, 2009, 9:52 AM   #6

O.k thanks all. It looks like a worthwhile investment, I have tried cobbling one together out of a semi opaque soap dispenser, needless to say it was not too good although the material looked very diffuser like.
I'm beginning to think I am losing the plot, as I have shelled out all that /$s on a D5000 + SB400 and was trying to save money by making a cheap diffuser.:-)
Mind you Ken Rockwell uses one made from printer paper. Dohh!!
Old Jul 17, 2009, 9:59 AM   #7

The Sto-fen diffuser costs less than $20. I like it because it fits snugly on the SB-400. I think it is a good and reasonably priced investment.
jphess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2009, 2:35 PM   #8

I have now got it and I must say it fits beautifully, much better than my home made one and goes in my bag fitted on my SB400. I was surprised that I can still bounce flash at all angles with it attached. It seems a bit over priced but thats me being a bit zippy as usual I guess.They sell for 16.00 approx over here. Even on Amazon with postage it comes out the same.
Old Jul 23, 2009, 7:00 PM   #9

The paper Ken Rockwell uses is not for diffusion. It is to bounce the light. There is a difference between the two for different reasons. The Demb Flash diffuser/bounce attachment does either/or. I am not sure if it is made for the SB 400. It has been a while since I have checked out the site but I use my version of abetterbouncecard instead. A foam sheet costing no more than 35cents does the trick for me. As far a diffusion I use the flexible cutting mat you can get three for a dollar at any dollar store or swap meet. Doesn't take much to fashion something out of these materials to get the results you are after.

Last edited by vIZnquest; Jul 23, 2009 at 7:02 PM.
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2009, 11:26 PM   #10

E-Bay also has a bunch of knock off Nikon SB-400 flash diffusers as well.

Sarah Joyce