Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Jul 18, 2009, 1:30 PM   #11

My current camera is a Canon Powershot A710 IS. I've had it for 2 yrs. I think it does a good job(if I do my job) but I want to get even better shots.My favorite subject to photograph are my dogs. I've been saving for this day. I know someone who has a Nikon D70,bag,battery,charger,lens,memory card & he has offered to sell it to me for $500. He hasn't used it much,he prefers his P&S. The 6 mp is why I hesitate. But in reality I know a DSLR with 6 MP makes a beautiful photo.I would not get a warrenty. I'm having a hard time with understanding the DSLR lens ranges. I know how close & how far I can be from my subject & get a good shot with my current camera. But I really have no idea how far or how close I can be from my subject with a DSLR & a 18-55 lens or 18-135. My other alternative is a Canon SX10 IS or Nikon P90 superzoom.I also like to take video clips & edit them with my still images into a cute movie.Here is a photo I recently took & pretty typical of my style.

sueg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2009, 3:31 PM   #12

Hi Sue-

Congratulations, that is a great photo that you posted. Personally I would shy away from the D-70 from your friend. The D-70 is old technology that is well past its prime.

I would feel much more relaxed to hear that you were seriously considering the Canon XS with the 18-55 mm kit lens. The XS with kit lens is selling for $(US) 520.00 with free shipping at www.buydig.com, a very respected internet retailer. You would have a great, up to date camera, with a full guarantee.

The 18-55 mm kit lens that comes with the Canon XS is an excellent kit lens and it has IS. You are probably wondering what that translates to in 35mm terms. It is a lens that covers 28mm to 82mm. It will focus closely enough to do macro or close-up shots, and to even act as a portrait lens.

The Canon XS has 10mp, while the almost comparable Nikon D-40 has only 6mp and their kit lens does not have VR/IS.

Just 2 cents worth from a digital camera instructor.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2009, 9:15 PM   #13

Thanks Sarah, I will add the Canon XS to my short list. Good price on buydig,I'd have a bit of change left over. Enough to also buy another lens or superzoom camera.
Old Jul 19, 2009, 4:22 PM   #14

Sue-

A logical add on lens for the canon XS would be the Canon 55-200 mm lens. It is reasonably priced and very sharp.

Sarah Joyce
Old Jul 19, 2009, 4:23 PM   #15

Default Second Lens for the Canon XS Camera

I apologize! Double post

Sarah Joyce
Old Jul 19, 2009, 4:24 PM   #16

Sue-

A logical add on lens for the canon XS would be the Canon 55-200 mm lens. It is reasonably priced and very sharp.

Sarah Joyce
Old Jul 20, 2009, 5:55 PM   #17

Thanks, I am making notes as I go along & reading posts & looking at photos in the photo sections,& learning about lens's. I have my short list of cameras I am interested in & will be going to check them out sometime this week.
Nikon D90
Canon Rebel XS (2 lens)
Nikon D5000 (now a bit wary since it has a pending recall)
Canon SX10 IS (only if the DSLR cameras don't work out.)
Old Jul 20, 2009, 7:22 PM   #18

Default DSLR Possibilities

Hi Sue-

Your list looks like there is a debate going on regarding the Nikon System versus the Canon System, could that be the case? How big a factor does budget play into this decision, as the Nikon D-90 is on the pricey side of the ledger. We head out on another teaching contract on 07/27, so if there is any help or info I can supply please let me know.

I will throw out some ideas. If they help, that is fine. If I am a bother, just tell me to knock it off. My feelings will not be hurt in any way at all. www.buy.com has the Pentax K-2000 camera with the Pentax 18-55mm kit lens for $(US)461.99 with free shipping and a full 1 year guarantee and IS built into the camera body. The Pentax K-2000 kit also includes an Pentax AF-200 external flash. The Pentax 50-200 mm lens is now selling for around $(US)180.00. So for $(US) 641.99 you would have a great little DSLR camera with lenses covering in 35mm terms 28mm to 300mm.

How good is the camera? Well I own one and I have attached a sample photo for you.

Sarah Joyce

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Last edited by mtclimber; Jul 20, 2009 at 9:26 PM.
Old Jul 20, 2009, 8:47 PM   #19

Default 100% Crop of the posted photo

OK, Sue-

One little photo does not tell the whole story. Here is a crop at 100% that show s that the camera is really doing a good job. The lens used here was the Pentax 50-200 mm lens.

Keep in mind that with the IS built into the camera body on the Pentax K-2000, that one ups the Canon XS which only has more expensive IS lenses, and no IS available in the camera body.

Sarah Joyce

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Old Jul 20, 2009, 11:28 PM   #20

Hi Sarah,
Yes, there is a bit of a debate in my mind between Canon & Nikon. They are both great cameras,although I have always favored Canon. Some of my friends have Nikons & are very pleased with them. There's also a debate in my head over even splurging on a DSLR. I want it,but I don't need it. I originally was saving for a Canon Rebel(very popular),until I read about the D90. Then I started saving for that one. Then I decided the D5000 would be OK & a little less expensive. Then I decided to get a Canon Rebel & be done with it. Then I decided to just get a superzoom,but the picture quality(no better than my little powershot) just really doesn't do it for me.So I went back over my short list & I still really want that D90 but I'm still $200 short. I guess I'm trying to get the camera I will be happy with next yr as well as this yr. I can't afford to buy a new DSLR camera whenever the new next best model comes out. So,my budget is a factor,but it's not the deciding factor on this one camera. I do appreciate your input & am taking all into consideration,you're not a bother at all. If I don't get the D90,I'm going for the Canon Rebel & 2 lens's you suggested. I really like the video mode feature of the D90,especially since the video is an AVI file. That tips the scales for me. I use that feature quite often with my Powershot. Just have to decide if it's important enough to spend the extra bucks. The Pentax looks great,thanks for suggesting it.Sure hope I make the right choice. I'll try to let you know what I ended up with before the 27th.Thanks so much for your input.