Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Jul 20, 2009, 11:19 PM   #21

Thanks for the reply, Sue-

I will remain quiet. The Nikon D-90 is a great camera.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2009, 6:41 AM   #22

Sueg,
I wouldn't be put off by the D5000 recall especially as the serial numbers of the offending bodies are being published this week.You can then avoid those bodies. The D5000 has essentialy the same innards as the D90 , plus as you seem to be swayed by the video mode the D5000 has a useful swing out vari angle screen, allowing you to get awkwardly placed bits of movie. Plus it is cheaper than the D90 bringing it more into your price range. It wouldn't surprise me to see Nikon drop the D90 as they did the D40x, as I cant see the need for two cameras so closely placed with an unjustified price difference.
deadshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2009, 8:29 AM   #23
Administrator

Quote:
It wouldn't surprise me to see Nikon drop the D90....
It would surprise me. They're in two different market niches (Entry Level versus Advanced Amateur/Enthusiast), with a number of advantages to the D90, especially if someone is upgrading from an older model like a D70 or D80.

The D90 has better build quality (for example, a shutter tested to 100K actuations), a better viewfinder, a much higher resolution LCD (4 times the resolution of the D5000's LCD), the ability to use an optional portrait grip, better exposure bracketing options, more advanced control layout (for example, two control wheels versus one), and more.

Another big difference is lens compatibility. The D5000 does not have a focus motor built into the camera body. So, it won't Autofocus with lenses that don't have a built in motor, making it incompatible with a number of Nikkor Autofocus Lenses (including some of Nikon's brighter primes), as well as many third party lenses (unless you want to use Manual Focus).

That can be a big deal to someone with an existing lens collection. For example, I spoke with someone just over the weekend that purchased a D5000, mostly because he already had a Nikon AF lens collection used with a Nikon 35mm SLR. The salesperson forgot to tell him that his lenses wouldn't Autofocus on a D5000 (none are AF-S). So, he's probably going to return it and get a D90 instead.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2009, 10:36 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
It would surprise me. They're in two different market niches (Entry Level versus Advanced Amateur/Enthusiast), with a number of advantages to the D90, especially if someone is upgrading from an older model like a D70 or D80.

The D90 has better build quality (for example, a shutter tested to 100K actuations), a better viewfinder, a much higher resolution LCD (4 times the resolution of the D5000's LCD), the ability to use an optional portrait grip, better exposure bracketing options, more advanced control layout (for example, two control wheels versus one), and more.

Another big difference is lens compatibility. The D5000 does not have a focus motor built into the camera body. So, it won't Autofocus with lenses that don't have a built in motor, making it incompatible with a number of Nikkor Autofocus Lenses (including some of Nikon's brighter primes), as well as many third party lenses (unless you want to use Manual Focus).

That can be a big deal to someone with an existing lens collection. For example, I spoke with someone just over the weekend that purchased a D5000, mostly because he already had a Nikon AF lens collection used with a Nikon 35mm SLR. The salesperson forgot to tell him that his lenses wouldn't Autofocus on a D5000 (none are AF-S). So, he's probably going to return it and get a D90 instead.

I agree, the D90 isn't getting dropped anytime soon. For all the reasons Jim mentioned, it is definitely aimed at the enthusiast market which is a market Nikon cares very much about. I think the price difference is justified. The D90 is the 3rd (4th if you count the D70s) in this line which has been there from almost the beginning of the DSLR market for Nikon. Canon also doesn't have a true equal in this area of the market (the 50d sits lightly above the D90, and slightly below the D300) so Nikon isn't going to give away this popular niche.

As far as the recall, I would hold off on buying a D5000. I can't believe Nikon didn't announce the affected serial numbers with the service advisory, rather than waiting a few days for a search tool. I'm sure they've narrowed the batches down to those affected. Unfortunately, this is becoming routine for Nikon.

Last edited by rjseeney; Jul 21, 2009 at 10:40 AM.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2009, 5:51 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadshot View Post
Sueg,
I wouldn't be put off by the D5000 recall especially as the serial numbers of the offending bodies are being published this week.You can then avoid those bodies. The D5000 has essentialy the same innards as the D90 , plus as you seem to be swayed by the video mode the D5000 has a useful swing out vari angle screen, allowing you to get awkwardly placed bits of movie. Plus it is cheaper than the D90 bringing it more into your price range. It wouldn't surprise me to see Nikon drop the D90 as they did the D40x, as I cant see the need for two cameras so closely placed with an unjustified price difference.
I'm still going to check the D5000 out tomorrow,probably at Bestbuy. Yes, I do like the idea of the vari angle screen,it's a plus for me.It's lighter or smaller too,I believe than the D90. I'd really planned on getting a camera this week though & Nikon won't publish the serial nos. in time. I'd really hate to buy the camera,only to have to send it back for a recall. I can save a couple hundred bucks with this camera. I don't really think the D90 will be dropped,it's very popular right now.That would be a bad move by Nikon.
sueg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2009, 6:08 PM   #26

Quote:

Thanks for sharing that info. I don't have any lens's as of yet,but it's something to think about in terms of buying lens's for the D5000.Probably can't borrow any lens from my friends either,if i buy that camera.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjseeney View Post
I agree, the D90 isn't getting dropped anytime soon. For all the reasons Jim mentioned, it is definitely aimed at the enthusiast market which is a market Nikon cares very much about. I think the price difference is justified. The D90 is the 3rd (4th if you count the D70s) in this line which has been there from almost the beginning of the DSLR market for Nikon. Canon also doesn't have a true equal in this area of the market (the 50d sits lightly above the D90, and slightly below the D300) so Nikon isn't going to give away this popular niche.

As far as the recall, I would hold off on buying a D5000. I can't believe Nikon didn't announce the affected serial numbers with the service advisory, rather than waiting a few days for a search tool. I'm sure they've narrowed the batches down to those affected. Unfortunately, this is becoming routine for Nikon.
Not knowing much about a DSLR & having to cram as much info as possible into my brain the last few weeks, all knowledge & opinions is very helpful to me. Thanks
sueg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2009, 7:27 AM   #27

Good points, I was forgetting the lens focusing issues with older lenses as Sueg seems like she is starting out. I also bought into Nikon recently, so I dont have any older lenses. Just as a matter of interest, the shutter on the D5000 is advertised by Nikon UK as being tested for 100,000 cycles also.
Old Jul 22, 2009, 7:40 AM   #28
Administrator

Interesting. I didn't realize that (same shutter specs as D90). Thanks for pointing that out.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2009, 8:21 AM   #29

Quote:
Interesting. I didn't realize that (same shutter specs as D90). Thanks for pointing that out.

Also the camera apparently has one of the quietest shutters of any DSLR and has an even quieter quiet mode. I still haven't gotten used to the thunderclap of my D300's shutter. With it's low light performance it could be a great camera for shooting performances, wedding ceremonies etc.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2009, 8:58 AM   #30

Jim C,
We were talking on a different thred about LV on the D5000.
Well interestingly I have had to use it recently, for some pics that would have been guesswork without it. My Daughter needed some close up photo's of some brickwork above a window for insurance purposes and a ladder wasn't an option. So I was able to stretch my arms up high enough (I am 5ft 11"), looked at the swivel LV screen, checked the shot and got a great result. I'm not saying it couldn't be done without LV, just that it took the guess work out. I also I belong to a camera club that has amongst other things a nature competition and recently I was able to get a difficult shot of two snails eating a leaf way out of reach of my VF.
Attached Images