Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Jul 22, 2009, 9:02 AM   #31

Whoops, sorry I'm a bit of a gonzo at uploading images, it's come out far too big and the quality needed to go higher as this shot looks miles better/sharper on my screen. Doesn't do the camera justice.
deadshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2009, 9:07 AM   #32
Administrator

It can come in handy from time to time. I've still got an old Nikon Coolpix 950 with a swivel body that I've used for overhead and waist level shooting in the past (although it's pretty slow compared to many newer point and shoot models).

For still subjects, the LV on the Nikon D5000 should help (but, it's AF is probably going to be a bit on the slow side for non-stationary subjects). BTW, here's your image with a quick Auto Levels using digiKam. You could do the same thing using many other image editors.
Attached Images

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2009, 9:16 AM   #33
Administrator

The one in my post is your first image, edited by digiKam, a free image management solution (and I downsized it to 640 pixels wide after initially posting).

I noticed the one in your first post was a bit "washed out", and just wanted to show how much difference a simple auto levels could make. Many image editors have the same feature.

I haven't seen any other versions of it posted by you yet. When you use the attach feature, make sure to click on the "upload" button after you select an image and it should show up in the post as long as it's dimensions and file size are within limits.
Old Jul 22, 2009, 9:17 AM   #34

Thanks again Jim C. You want to think yourself lucky you dont live next door to me.You would probably be hiding behind the sofa each the door bell rang by now.:-)
Old Jul 22, 2009, 9:45 AM   #35

I've had a play with the levels in my P/S elements 4 and have got a similar effect to yourself, although you started with the disadvantage of a degraded image.The original one on my screen looks a bit closer to yours.Thanks again for that, Jim C . Another thing is that the pic was taken with my Nikon 18-200mm VR lens and the light wasnt good, 20.30hrs. Here is the EXIF 1/125 sec @ F5.6 ISO 640. 200mm lens right out.300mm film equivalent( for anyone in doubt) Spot Metering. VR on. No flash, hand held above my head. Live View.
As you can tell I am thrilled with this set up.
Old Jul 22, 2009, 9:47 AM   #36
Administrator

Quote:
hanks again Jim C. You want to think yourself lucky you dont live next door to me.You would probably be hiding behind the sofa each the door bell rang by now.:-)
Nah... But, I would have to get dressed (something I haven't bothered to do yet today, even though I've been up since around 5:00AM eastern).
Old Jul 22, 2009, 9:50 AM   #37
Administrator

Quote:
Here is the EXIF 1/125 sec @ F5.6 ISO 640. 200mm lens right out.300mm film equivalent( for anyone in doubt) Spot Metering. VR on. No flash, hand held above my head. Live View.
The Spot Metering is probably what caused the issue (overexposed a bit). You may have been pointing at the darker portion of the image. If you meter on a darker area, you can easily get an overexposed image using spot metering. If you meter on a lighter area, you can get an underexposed image using spot metering. So, you have to be careful you're metering on an area that's more neutral if you use it.
Old Jul 22, 2009, 10:20 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
The Spot Metering is probably what caused the issue (overexposed a bit). You may have been pointing at the darker portion of the image. If you meter on a darker area, you can easily get an overexposed image using spot metering. If you meter on a lighter area, you can get an underexposed image using spot metering. So, you have to be careful you're metering on an area that's more neutral if you use it.
Your right JimC,what I tend to forget sometimes is that the spot metering on this camera is a smaller area than my old film Canon, as Canon didn't really have Spot metering in the true sense.
Old Jul 22, 2009, 2:07 PM   #39

I think that's a great shot of the snail,both before & after the edit.

Just to update everyone. I went camera shopping this morning. My new Nikon D90 is sitting on the table,still in the box.I'm waiting to see if buyers remorse is going to hit me,before I open the box. I loved the feel of the D5000 & the tilting LV screen. I couldn't get past the impending recall though or it would be sitting on my table. The D90 is pretty heavy in my small hands. I'm broke(sorta),well, my budget got seriously wounded ,but if the D90 just turns out to be a bit too much camera for me,I'll take it back & get the D5000 & still be a happy woman. Thanks everyone for the help & opinions. I'm sure you'll get tired of me soon,when I have to ask too many questions before I get this DSLR thing figured out. My first job will be to read the instruction manual.
sueg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2009, 2:13 PM   #40
Administrator

Congrats! Share some photos when you get a chance, and please let us know if you have any issues we can help you with.