Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Jul 16, 2009, 1:11 PM   #1

Default complete package?Nikon D5000

If I buy this package deal from Bestbuy, will I have everything I need except the memory card & extra battery? What memory card would be the very best to buy for the Nikon D5000. This could possibly be my 1st DSLR camera. Also, is this camera small & light enough to hold & operate with one hand? (dumb question?)
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....rd113200050008
sueg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 16, 2009, 1:35 PM   #2
Administrator

That depends on what you want to shoot and the conditions you want to shoot in. As for holding it with one hand, give it a try in a store. ;-)

You may also want to consider an external flash like the Nikon SB-600. Kit lenses like you're looking at are relatively dim and you'll need a flash for non-stationary subjects indoors (and a dedicated flash that you can bounce will give you nicer, more diffused lighting).

In addition, (again, depending on what you want to shoot more often), you may want to consider a kit with the 18-105mm instead. It's a bit less compared to the two lens kit and would give you more focal range for "walk around" purposes without as much need to swap lenses, depending on if you needed longer focal lengths more often or not).

That price isn't really anything unusual. Most reputable online vendors have that two lens kit at the same price. The single lens kit with just the 18-55mm or 18-105mm lenses are a bit less. Here's an example of a kit with the 18-105mm:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...LR_Camera.html
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2009, 8:41 PM   #3

OK, I see I need to study up on lens. I do mostly closeups,inside & outside,but also like the ability to zoom from a distance when I need to. My current camera has 6X zoom & is good for closeups & midrange,but is lacking for distance. If I'm understanding correctly the 18-105 would be similar to what I have now in the zoom range. I've had a hard time deciding between buying my first DSLR or a SuperZoom. Thanks for the info.
sueg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2009, 2:57 PM   #4

sueg-

You are correct. The Nikon 18-105 mm lens , would in 35 mm terms, provide a 27 mm through 157.5 mm effective focal length. That equates to a 5.8X zoom.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2009, 6:19 PM   #5

Even though the D5000 doesn't have a full sized sensor, the sensor is probably much larger than what you have in your present camera. And that in itself will contribute to much improved image quality. You have to pay premium price for a full sized sensor camera.
jphess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2009, 6:47 PM   #6

Just my 2 cents, but since this is your first voyage into Digital SLR I might suggest you consider a Factory Refirbished D40. Right now Adorama has some for $375. Here is the info.
Nikon D40 6.1 Megapixel Digital SLR Camera 3X Zoom Kit Outfit, with 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G ED II AF-S DX Zoom Nikkor Lens - Refurbished by Nikon U.S.A.

I bought one just so I could have the 1/500th flash sync rate for fill light situations and because compared to my D300 (which only has a 1/250 sync rate) it is light as a feather.
Just something to consider.

Best of luck,
Steve
smac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2009, 8:17 PM   #7

Generally speaking, I would say that purchasing the refurbished D-40 is a good deal. But then I have to do some remembering. In 2006 I purchased a refurbished (by Nikon USA) Nikon D-50 and it came with a 90 day warranty.

Well, as you might have guessed, it failed in the 5th month after the purchase, and I had no recourse at all. Let the buyer beware! There is not enough savings to make it a safe bet.

Sarah Joyce
Old Jul 17, 2009, 8:37 PM   #8

I hear you. Generally I have good luck with factory refurbished stock. But, you are absolutely right, there is no guarantee that it won't crap out. But then, I have had brand new stuff turn out to be a lemon too. Granted, you do have the warranty with the new stuff to fall back on.
I'll let you know how it turns out.
Fingers crossed,

Steve
Old Jul 17, 2009, 11:11 PM   #9

Steve-

Please don't get be wrong. I was not being negative. I too, have had great luck with refurbished items. But that refurbished Nikon D-50 was a real wake up call for me. At the 5 month point the bottom just dropped out, and I suddenly had lost my total investment in that camera, because Nikon's estimate to repair the D-50 exceeded my total investment in the camera.

Sarah Joyce
Old Jul 17, 2009, 11:17 PM   #10

Sarah,
I didn't feel you were being negative at all. I totally understand. I appreciate your point and the fact that sometimes good deals don't work out. Or as I like to say....
Sometimes your the windshield and sometimes your the bug.