Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Jul 19, 2009, 8:18 AM   #1

Default Novice using a D40 with Tamron 18-200

Hello,

I bought this camera for a trip to Canada. I wanted to have a lense that pretty much do a close and far away shooting. The Tamron 18-200mm suits my budget. Coming from a point and shoot I thought this camera is fantastic.

I would like to share some of the photos I've taken so far. It was taken at a very early in the morning. The shots were taken in full auto.

Please let me know how to improve my shots without buying a more expensive camera. hehehe... thanks.
rambilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 19, 2009, 1:11 PM   #2

rambilt-

Thanks for posting your photos and welcome to the Forum.

The photos show the characteristic D-40 color spectrum quite nicely, considering the les than optimal weather conditions. You might want to use a bit of Exposure Compensation if you want to get more detail into the sky portion of your photos.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2009, 8:54 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
rambilt-

Thanks for posting your photos and welcome to the Forum.

The photos show the characteristic D-40 color spectrum quite nicely, considering the les than optimal weather conditions. You might want to use a bit of Exposure Compensation if you want to get more detail into the sky portion of your photos.

Sarah Joyce

Hi Sarah,

To tell you the truth I really don't know how to compensate and the reason I use full auto. The sky was quite gloomy because it's about to rain. The mist from the falls didn't help either.

How do you go about compensating in this kind of photo?

thanks for your reply.

v/r

Rick
Old Jul 19, 2009, 10:05 PM   #4

Rick-

Here is step #1 from a professional digital camera instructor. Please move your camera's Mode Selector from the "AUTO" position to P for programed auto. It will work exactly the same way as AUTO, but now you can make some changes that will improve your photos.

Now look right near your shutter release on the right hand side. The you will find a small switch that has + and minus on it. That is your Exposure Compensation switch.
Hold it down, while referring to you info screen on your LCD and you will see that you can, in very small increments, reduce your camera's exposure by a very small degree. If you do that, moving to the left on a Nikon camera you will be ever so slightly reducing the exposure and creating more cloud emphasis.

Please get into the habit of using the P for Programed Auto mode on your Mode Selector. It will position yourself to now make some/ a few camera changes that will improve your photos. Good luck!

Sarah Joyce
Old Jul 19, 2009, 10:17 PM   #5

Quote:
Rick-

Here is step #1 from a professional digital camera instructor. Please move your camera's Mode Selector from the "AUTO" position to P for programed auto. It will work exactly the same way as AUTO, but now you can make some changes that will improve your photos.

Now look right near your shutter release on the right hand side. The you will find a small switch that has + and minus on it. That is your Exposure Compensation switch.
Hold it down, while referring to you info screen on your LCD and you will see that you can, in very small increments, reduce your camera's exposure by a very small degree. If you do that, moving to the left on a Nikon camera you will be ever so slightly reducing the exposure and creating more cloud emphasis.

Please get into the habit of using the P for Programed Auto mode on your Mode Selector. It will position yourself to now make some/ a few camera changes that will improve your photos. Good luck!

Sarah Joyce

Sarah,

Thank you very much for a very valuable lesson. I will surely be brave enough to do just that. I hope to see improvements on my next batch of photos.

v/r

Rick
Old Jul 19, 2009, 10:22 PM   #6

Rick-

If not come right back here and I will be available to help you. At least until 27 July, when I head out once again on a contract to teach digital cameras on a cruise ship.

Sarah Joyce
Old Jul 20, 2009, 6:46 AM   #7

Quote:
Rick-

If not come right back here and I will be available to help you. At least until 27 July, when I head out once again on a contract to teach digital cameras on a cruise ship.

Sarah Joyce
You have an awesome job!!! My wife and I went on a cruise before from Galveston. It's a 5 day trip on Carnival Cruise ship -it was a fantastic experience.

I will surely take you on your advice. My wife and my in-laws enjoy the photos I take with the D40. I guess they reward me for my effort. hahahaha...

v/r

Rick