Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Jul 19, 2009, 12:53 PM   #1

Default External Flash for the D300?

I saw mecablitz 58 AF-1 digital and Nikon speedlight SB-900 and wondered which one to choose and is simpler to operate or will be a better choice. "i want one with a good range, because the ceiling on the house is pretty high".

any other suggestion would be appreciate it.
playa4real007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 19, 2009, 1:07 PM   #2

Default Flash Choices

Playa-

I have used the SB-800 for 4 years and it has been simple to use and very reliable. The Metz 58 AF-1 actually has about the same flash output than the SB-900, but it does have an interesting small secondary flash reflector in the front of the flash's case to add a small amount of frontal flash fill-in when using bounce flash.

So with the flashes being fairly similar, the choice is up to you. Each brand seems to have its legion of supporters. Faced with the same situation, I would most probably opt for the nikon SB-900, or look for a good used SB-800 if you wanted to save some money.

Here is a photo of the Metz S8 AF-1 flash so you can see that secondary reflector.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2009, 3:09 PM   #3

I have an SB800 with 3 SB-600's. The SB600 is a good value with slightly less power and slightly less featured. I've never used the SB900 (it's pretty pricey), but it is the most powerful and richly featured flash in the Nikon Lineup. The SB800 is discontinued and people have been snatching them up since production stopped, so the price remains pretty high. The one disadvantage to the SB900 is the size. It is quite large and paired with the D300 you have one big heavy kit.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2009, 6:09 PM   #4

Thanks Sarah for the replay, I know both are great flashes, the Metz has an ugly operation "personal view", and the SB-900 seem to be complicated with all the buttons...etc. (still a bit confused ! )

rjseeney: Thanks for the replay, i considered the SB-600 mainly for the size but will it preform good on a considerably high ceiling! and from my quick glance at both flashes they seem about the same size "Metz 58 and SB-900"

Last edited by playa4real007; Jul 19, 2009 at 6:17 PM.
Old Jul 19, 2009, 7:44 PM   #5

playa-

Yes, the SB-900 and the Metz 58 are really big flashes. For that reason alone, the Nikon SB-600 might be a more convenient choice. I also have the SB-600 and it has served me well.It does not quite have the light volume of the SB-800. As long as you are operating in a range of no more than 25 to 30 feet, the SB-600 will serve you well.

Sarah Joyce
Old Jul 19, 2009, 8:16 PM   #6

How high are we talking?? If the ceiling is really high, bouncing is not a good option regardless of the strength of the flash. With high ceilings you're probably better off with a stofen or some other kind of diffuser.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2009, 8:33 PM   #7

RJ-

Yep, I agree totally! A flash diffuser is a valuable flash accessory. And it can replace bounce lighting in many instances.

Sarah Joyce
Old Jul 20, 2009, 5:26 AM   #8

Thanks Sarah and rjseeney, i'll buy the SB-600 and a diffuser.

i saw the range and it would be very capable light for my shooting.

Thanks again.