Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Jul 28, 2009, 11:18 AM   #11

My dealer said he would change the camera for me but he cant get hold of them at the moment.(Well he would say that wouldnt he) but I'll give him the benefit of the doubt
deadshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2009, 6:38 PM   #12

Default Kelvin

Kelvin. I bought my Nikon from the Oshawa Store, but any of them will im sure honor the Deal.
Richard.
RichardK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2009, 6:18 PM   #13

Default Recall

I just got my new D5000 from Amazon. Charging now, I had called Ritz Camera and asked if the had a D5000, Thay quoted me $849.00. They gave me the ser # so I could check it. it was in the 3000000 and up range. I checked it and it was ok. Now mine comes and I check it , Before I even use it. It needs the recall , ot is above 3000000. .
Needless to say. Do people think I should send it back for another. Or Keep it and play then send it to Nikon??
I may just get amother recall one from Amazon. Good price !!! $773 included shipping.
Bob Greer
zilbog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2009, 12:36 AM   #14

Bob-

The reported turn around time for the ON/OFF switch up grade is currently taking about 10 days, which is not too bad.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2009, 6:21 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by zilbog View Post

I just got my new D5000 from Amazon. Charging now, I had called Ritz Camera and asked if the had a D5000, Thay quoted me $849.00. They gave me the ser # so I could check it. it was in the 3000000 and up range. I checked it and it was ok. Now mine comes and I check it , Before I even use it. It needs the recall , ot is above 3000000. .
Needless to say. Do people think I should send it back for another. Or Keep it and play then send it to Nikon??
I may just get amother recall one from Amazon. Good price !!! $773 included shipping.
Bob Greer
Mine took exactly one week from shipping to return, but I sent it out the first day possible. Nikon just added a bunch more serial numbers to the advisory, and some folks who have already received their camera back have gotten notice they need to return the camera again. I think nearly every D5000 out there is included in the advisory. I would just send the camera back to Nikon rather than trying to track down a non affected body. BTW, I believe the US serial numbers start at 3000000, and since no official range has been posted, it is kind of fruitless to try to figure out what serial numbers are or aren't included.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2009, 12:40 PM   #16

Default Recall

Having worked in the automotive industry for over 30 years and performed recall repairs thousands of times . I know that sometimes the recalls are a work in progress and it may take a bit for for the dust to settle. If they are asking people to return ones that have already been "fixed"it is not a good sign.
I am going to wait , play with the camera, make sure I am really in love with it. WOW ,, the thing is really awesome!!
I gotta figure on another lens I had thought about a D90 but I am glad I got the 5000. The tilt screen is really nice and I am used to one from my p90.
As always thanx for the input.

Bob
zilbog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2009, 11:32 AM   #17

I have just come back from 3 weeks vacation, thankfully without any problems with the power switch. I tried to get my D5000 body changed before I went but the dealer had no stock.I told them I would change it when I came back. They now have stock but I have noticed that Nikon have added new numbers to their recall list whilst I was away.I phoned Nikon and asked if this was going to be an ongoing issue but they said they couldnt forsee the future, which is fair enough but it makes me think the best course of action is to get it repaired then I will know it's sorted. Comments please!!
Sorry rjseeney, I accidently zipped right past your post, just noticed it after posting this, good comments I think.

Last edited by deadshot; Aug 24, 2009 at 11:37 AM.
Old Aug 24, 2009, 11:39 AM   #18

deadshot-

Yes, I agree with you completely. If you send it in and get it fixed, it is no longer as ongoing issue for you and you will most certainly have more peace of mind.

Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2009, 12:49 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjseeney View Post
Mine took exactly one week from shipping to return, but I sent it out the first day possible. Nikon just added a bunch more serial numbers to the advisory, and some folks who have already received their camera back have gotten notice they need to return the camera again. I think nearly every D5000 out there is included in the advisory. I would just send the camera back to Nikon rather than trying to track down a non affected body. BTW, I believe the US serial numbers start at 3000000, and since no official range has been posted, it is kind of fruitless to try to figure out what serial numbers are or aren't included.
I 've been looking at the DPreview forum and it looks like you are right RJ about not trying to source an unaffected D5000, as it appears the consensus of opinion is that there arent any, or if there are their very few indeed..
Old Aug 27, 2009, 9:34 AM   #20

Mine's unaffected...

Or at least it is now, as it was exchanged by my local distributor.
lupedelupe is offline   Reply With Quote