Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Aug 27, 2009, 10:23 PM   #21

I got mine about 3 weeks ago, took a chance fully knowing about the recall and have checked the number several times, but so far it's come up unaffected so hopefully they're working their way out of the supply chain!
derelicte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2009, 10:34 PM   #22

derelicte-

That is really good news! I thought we would never get back to OK Nikon D-5000 cameras.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2009, 8:10 PM   #23

Folks-

Yes, we have had a bit a good news about the status of the D-5000 cameras and the recall. However, most dealers do not have any unaffected D-5000 cameras in stock, at least here in the USA. I received a new D-5000 camera from www.amazon.com just this past week. However, it too, was on the recall list as well, so I returned the camera.

I am now seriously considering the D-90 camera, which is not subject to any recall. Yes, it will be an increase in camera expense, camera size, and camera weight, but it may be the only choice available to me. I have 5 Nikon lenses, 2 Nikon Flash units, with all the necessary accessories. So, I am essentially wedded to Nikon.

Nikon is a great system, and I am not discouraged, but the additional cost, weight, and camera mass are something that has to be considered as well.

I hope that you are enjoying a great weekend.

Sarah Joyce
Old Aug 29, 2009, 8:23 PM   #24

I am keeping mine for now. I will wait to send it in so I really know how it feels before they get it. I am enjoying the camera anyways. Also if I wait they may have the recall sorted and or have caught up. No problem with the switch. Though sometimes it just wont take the shot??I am not sure if this is because a setting is off . I have never seen a camera do that before??
Bob
zilbog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2009, 9:31 PM   #25

You see, bob-

That is exactly what I am writing about in my post. The Nikon D-5000 was exactly what I wanted in a DSLR camera. However, that fell beneath the cracks in the deck. Now.like it or not, I am being pushed upwards upgrading toward the Nikon D-90 camera. Just to swim free of the recall mode/mess that Nikon Cameras has created due to their sloppy quality control.

That is not a particularly good deal in my estimation. Yes, Nikon will be happy with their bottom line if I, seeking camera safety, opt for the Nikon D-90 camera instead of the recall plagued D-5000 camera. They (Nikon) will make more bucks. To the hell, with the consumer/user! That is a sad state of affairs for Nikon Inc.to take!

That is what it really feels like, folks. I, for one am beginning to rebel a bit. Nikon controls the camera quality level, but I guess with the Nikon D-5000, they just totally screwed up! I really do not want to accept that as my problem, it really is Nikon's problem, and should I go ahead and pay more for the D-90 camera, just to get free of Nikon's quality control problems? I honestly believe think that Nikon might owe us, consumers, read that as the folks who purchase their cameras from Nikon! In this screw up, if you look at this, very realistically, we are at the the mercy of Mr. Nikon Incorporated.

I, for one object to that scenario. How about anyone else? Am I the only sore head here?

Folks, you tell me. But, I sincerely believe that this is very poor Customer Service on the part of Nikon. Is the scenario: screw the consumer/camera purchaser to solve your screw up on the Nikon D-5000 on-off switch specs? Nikon, I sincerely believe that you have this very wrong. Why penalize the Nikon D-5000 purchasers?

Sarah Joyce

Last edited by mtclimber; Aug 29, 2009 at 9:39 PM.
Old Aug 30, 2009, 8:16 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
You see, bob-

That is exactly what I am writing about in my post. The Nikon D-5000 was exactly what I wanted in a DSLR camera. However, that fell beneath the cracks in the deck. Now.like it or not, I am being pushed upwards upgrading toward the Nikon D-90 camera. Just to swim free of the recall mode/mess that Nikon Cameras has created due to their sloppy quality control.

That is not a particularly good deal in my estimation. Yes, Nikon will be happy with their bottom line if I, seeking camera safety, opt for the Nikon D-90 camera instead of the recall plagued D-5000 camera. They (Nikon) will make more bucks. To the hell, with the consumer/user! That is a sad state of affairs for Nikon Inc.to take!

That is what it really feels like, folks. I, for one am beginning to rebel a bit. Nikon controls the camera quality level, but I guess with the Nikon D-5000, they just totally screwed up! I really do not want to accept that as my problem, it really is Nikon's problem, and should I go ahead and pay more for the D-90 camera, just to get free of Nikon's quality control problems? I honestly believe think that Nikon might owe us, consumers, read that as the folks who purchase their cameras from Nikon! In this screw up, if you look at this, very realistically, we are at the the mercy of Mr. Nikon Incorporated.

I, for one object to that scenario. How about anyone else? Am I the only sore head here?

Folks, you tell me. But, I sincerely believe that this is very poor Customer Service on the part of Nikon. Is the scenario: screw the consumer/camera purchaser to solve your screw up on the Nikon D-5000 on-off switch specs? Nikon, I sincerely believe that you have this very wrong. Why penalize the Nikon D-5000 purchasers?

Sarah Joyce
I agree this has been frustrating. Know one really knows for sure what caused the issue, though likely it was a batch of bad parts sent to Nikon from one of their suppliers. To Nikon's credit, they are fixing the problem quickly, and stood up and issued this recall quickly, before the failures were widespread. You didn't see many reports of failures prior to the recall, so they might have been able to sit back and hope the problem wasn't too bad, like they've done in the past. On the other hand, they have been way too quiet as to exactly what the problem is, and most received their cameras back without any invoice, or list of what repairs were done. There was also no way to track the camera, or get a status update online as to where the camera was in the repair process. Because the problem is apparently widespread and sales have tanked (at least I think they have, as you see very little posting about the D5000 in photography forums beyond rants and complaints), I think the D5k likely won't be in the lineup long. It's really too bad, I like the D5k (although i haven't used mine much as I've been shooting sports, and keep using my D300). Even now, I'd still buy a D5k and wait to get it fixed, as it fit exactly what I needed (small, light, nicely featured and with video to boot). Of course I have two other Nikon bodies (D300/D80) and a Canon G10, so I wasn't in a rush or have an immediate need for a camera. For someone buying their first cam or replacing one, this is not a good option. I'm suprised many retailers have not pulled the affected D5k's off their shelves and forced Nikon to address their problem....it's as much a retailer issue as a Nikon issue. Overall, a bad situation that although it was handled, could have been handled better.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2009, 10:23 AM   #27

RJ-

Many thanks for your comments. I surely do agree with you! "Overall it was a bad situation, that although it was handled, could have been handled better."

As you mentioned. it has also depressed Nikon D-5000 sales, and camera enthusiasts are carefully staying away from the D-5000 camera and not purchasing. Mention of the D-5000 has also fallen off in Camera Forums.

With the introduction of the Nikon D-3000 camera coming soon, the D-5000 camera fit into Nikon's line-up nicely. It is a shame that Nikon has had so much trouble with the D-5000. I would surmise that the problem on the D-5000, has increased the sales of their D-90 camera as well. That is where I find myself right now, seriously considering the D-90 to replace my D-5000 decision.

Luckily, I was still within the 30 day, no questions asked return period, with www.amazon.com when the first D-5000 recall happened. Also like you, RJ, I had a Nikon D-40 and a Nikon D-50 body to carry me through.

Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce
Old Aug 30, 2009, 10:30 AM   #28
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjseeney View Post
I'm suprised many retailers have not pulled the affected D5k's off their shelves and forced Nikon to address their problem....it's as much a retailer issue as a Nikon issue. Overall, a bad situation that although it was handled, could have been handled better.
That's my thought. By leaving cameras with a problem on the shelf, you're just prolonging the issue.

I can imagine that Nikon was trying to weigh how many lost sales they'd have by just recalling all of the from the supply chain, versus the negative impact on customer perception being caused by waiting until they're already in consumers hands to fix them. My vote would have been to just recall all of them and start fresh. But, at least they are admitting the issue and taking steps to notify buyers and get them fixed.

Also, as you noticed, I don't remember seeing any Nikon D5000 owners reporting failures prior to the recalls. So, that may have influenced how they're handling it. For example, if their testing indicated a longer term reliability problem for a power switch, that's something that isn't going to show up for a while, and gives them the luxury of fixing them at a slower pace without influencing sales as much (by not pulling all of them from the supply chain all at once).

I think that approach might be hurting sales more than they realize. Of course, I could be wrong. Not everyone reads photography forums and keeps up with that kind of thing. lol
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2009, 11:25 AM   #29

Quote:
Not everyone reads photography forums and keeps up with that kind of thing. lol
Are you telling me everyone doesn't spend a few minutes every hour all day checking the various photography forums on the web??
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2009, 1:16 PM   #30

Nikon has a new TV add out on the D-5000, first TV add for a camera in a long time.
whitepass is offline   Reply With Quote