Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Aug 30, 2009, 1:37 PM   #31
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjseeney View Post
Are you telling me everyone doesn't spend a few minutes every hour all day checking the various photography forums on the web??
I know it's hard to believe. But, I don't think everyone [else] does that.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2009, 2:25 PM   #32

Yes, I have seen that TV advertisement. It probably points to or verifies the fact that D-5000 sales have plummeted in the last six weeks.

Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2009, 8:56 AM   #33

I have kicked this around for a while now,I wanted to sort mine out before my holidays but the dealer had no stock. However the camera was fine on my Hol's, no problems at all. Nikon UK tell me that there is a 3-4 week turn around at the moment, also that they will repair it even after the warranty period has expired, they said that as the switch hasn't gone yet it was unlikely that it would, as most failures happen very soon after purchase.
As I am not a professional I can afford to be without my camera for a while so it is not really a big deal more of a nuisance, I will leave it until the rush has died down. My thoughts are that I could get a replacement as the dealer has stock (mmmm what has happened to the return to dealer models) would I be getting one of them that perhaps hadn't been treated as well as mine? Would the replacement have Hot Pixels that mine has not? I have been told that Nikon wont reissue repaired models as new( cynical old me doesn't believe that Nikon will scrap all those cameras nor flood the market with cheap refurbished). If I go Sarah's route and swap for the D90, that model hasn't been trouble free ( see a previous thread ) plus even more weight.Trouble is it's always just a few more ozs. I did notice a difference carrying the D5000 up hill and down dale as opposed to the D40, the D90 would be worse again by a few ozs.
I personally think Nikon did the right thing announcing the recall but my guess is they now wish they had just let the faulty ones come back as most makers would have done,so well done Nikon for putting their hand up at least, lets hope they dont try a cover up next time, because if there's too much furore that's what they will do for sure. As a matter of interest I found the Variangle screen very useful on more than one occasion while I was away, so no D90 for me.
deadshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2009, 7:21 PM   #34

My thoughts on this are that Nikon should have pulled or recalled all the distributor / dealer shelf stock when they first realized they had a problem, rather than letting it get out to the public and then recalling them. If nothing else they could have come out with a D5000s as the recalled cameras had been upgraded (fixed).

I don't own a D5000, still relying on my trusting D80, but I tend to agree that I was pretty disappointed with Nikon's handling of this as far as letting the camera's continue to be sold, even though they knew they were bad. I'll bet Canon is laughing all the way to the bank.

I made the move from a Pentax to a Nikon last year and sold all my Pentax gear on Ebay. Between that and my Fuji camera, I had enough to buy the D80 kit with a 18-135mm lens. To that I added a Sigma macro. The problem with DSLR's is you make a big commitment to the system with the lenses and other necessities, so changing brands is not an option for most of us without a lot of effort. Has anyone looked to see how many D5000's are listed on Ebay, not counting dealers - Bruce
bper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2009, 8:55 AM   #35

I thought I would update this for anyone who might be interested.
I sent my D5000 body back last week and have now got it back 8 days after I posted it. Cleaned and switch/repaired/replaced, it was well packed.
Apart from having to fork out the postage, a fairly painless experience. The alternative was to spend out a similar amount on petrol.
I just hope I get a few years trouble free photography.
Old Sep 23, 2009, 9:19 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadshot View Post
I thought I would update this for anyone who might be interested.
I sent my D5000 body back last week and have now got it back 8 days after I posted it. Cleaned and switch/repaired/replaced, it was well packed.
Apart from having to fork out the postage, a fairly painless experience. The alternative was to spend out a similar amount on petrol.
I just hope I get a few years trouble free photography.
You had to pay postage?? I got a prepaid shipping label after entering my serial number in the search tool on Nikon's site. I haven't heard of anyone being required to pay postage.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2009, 9:41 AM   #37

Yes R J unfortunately here in the UK we regularly get ripped off. Our cars cost more than most anywhere else, sports equipment which I am involved in is also more expensive than the USA. I did question Nikon about it but they said it's handled differently in the UK.
I haven't a clue why there's a difference, perhaps it's British tolerance or just being mugs.
Old Oct 3, 2009, 2:47 AM   #38

So all being said...would you purchase the 5000 if you were just starting out and had no other 'nikon investments'???
littlejohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2009, 12:57 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlejohn View Post
So all being said...would you purchase the 5000 if you were just starting out and had no other 'nikon investments'???
Absolutely! in fact I only have one Nikor lens, the 18-200VR plus a SB400 flash both of which sell for a good price on E.Bay.The dealer would have swapped my D5000 for a Canon or other equivalant.To be honest if it got stolen tomorrow I would get another straight away. Why? well to me it's a fantastic camera, the swivel LV I have found very useful a few times by getting me shots that other wise I could only have got by luck.The Active D lighting is very good, better than I expected. Noise at high ISO is excellant and colour fringing is virtually non existant. Auto ISO is also very useful and sometimes saves a shot that I have muffed. So what more could I ask for? lighter would be good and thats about all , I could solve that by getting a lighter lens but I love that 18-200 VR lens, I know there are better lenses out there but not better lenses like for like IMHO.
Old Oct 20, 2009, 11:41 PM   #40

Default Still having problems?

Hi - we are looking at the D5k for new baby pictures. Planning on getting that body with the 18-105 lens that comes with the D90. Are they still having a lot of problems with the recall? No sense in getting it if we're going to miss out on the first moments of our new baby because it had to go back to the manufacturer! Carrying the D90 around does not sound like a lot of fun, even if the body is only $130 more - I really don't need the extra weight.
Thanks!
Newmom is offline   Reply With Quote