Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Jul 23, 2009, 3:22 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
deadshot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Hertfordshire UK
Posts: 759
Default D5000 recall

As a matter of interest my beloved D5000 has got to go back to Nikon on recall. I have taken about 900 shots with it without a problem but I am informed by Nikon that it is a preventative measure.Today I typed into the serial No check list my serial No, which is 7 digits starting with 740---- = recall, I also out of curiosity typed in some random No's starting with 739---- and some with 741--- they were not included in the recall, so it looks like possibly 10,000 units may be affected. I dont see it as a big deal. Anyone looking at the camera could easily check if a particular body is due for recall by checking the No. out before buying. I doubt if the serial numbering started 0000001, if it did, it indicates that they have sold over 8,000,000 units, not bad in a recession.
deadshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 23, 2009, 3:53 PM   #2
Administrator
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Savannah, GA (USA)
Posts: 22,378
Default

I think the first digit signifies the region (Nikon USA, Nikon Canada, Nikon Europe, etc.). So, that makes it more difficult to tell how many cameras are impacted (since only Nikon USA serial numbers are going to be in the database on a Nikon USA website).

Hopefully, they'll turn it around quickly for you so you can get back to enjoying it.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2009, 4:43 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
deadshot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Hertfordshire UK
Posts: 759
Default

I actually put my No into the USA site then I put it into the UK site when it became available and my No showed recall on both sites but the UK one doesn't say anything about free postage, hopefully that will come soon.
deadshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2009, 4:49 PM   #4
Administrator
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Savannah, GA (USA)
Posts: 22,378
Default

That's interesting (that the serial numbers are in the databases associated with more than one region).

Nikon is very "picky" about servicing cameras. For example, Nikon USA will usually refuse to service a camera designed for sale in another region, even if you are willing to pay them for the service.

Other Nikon regions like Nikon Canada have the same policy (they will refuse to service a Nikon camera that was not intended for sale in Canada and purchased through an Authorized Nikon Canada dealer).

The regional distributors (Nikon USA, Nikon Canada, Nikon Europe, etc.), are setup as separate profit centers and have to worry about compliance with a given region's laws, marketing within a given region, setting up dealer networks, servicing the products sold, and more.

So, they frown upon "gray market" cameras (cameras not intended for sale in the region you live in), making a point by refusing to service to them in order to discourage the practice of purchasing cameras outside of the region's authorized dealer network, since the distributor for a region (Nikon USA, Nikon Canada, etc.) does not make a profit on those cameras if the region's distributor is bypassed.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2009, 5:26 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
rjseeney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Taylor Mill, Kentucky
Posts: 2,398
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
That's interesting (that the serial numbers are in the databases associated with more than one region).

Nikon is very "picky" about servicing cameras. For example, Nikon USA will usually refuse to service a camera designed for sale in another region, even if you are willing to pay them for the service.

Other Nikon regions like Nikon Canada have the same policy (they will refuse to service a Nikon camera that was not intended for sale in Canada and purchased through an Authorized Nikon Canada dealer).

The regional distributors (Nikon USA, Nikon Canada, Nikon Europe, etc.), are setup as separate profit centers and have to worry about compliance with a given region's laws, marketing within a given region, setting up dealer networks, servicing the products sold, and more.

So, they frown upon "gray market" cameras (cameras not intended for sale in the region you live in), making a point by refusing to service to them in order to discourage the practice of purchasing cameras outside of the region's authorized dealer network, since the distributor for a region (Nikon USA, Nikon Canada, etc.) does not make a profit on those cameras if the region's distributor is bypassed.
I just got a D5000, and keyed the serial into Nikon Europe's site and found out mine was on recall too. However, keying it in the wrong region doesn't won't give you the correct shipping label, which is printed automatically. Europe's serial number search tool was up last night, the USA tool wasn't up until about 8am EST. I'm kind of suprised Nikon didn't just release the numbers that were affected rather than forcing the customer to use a tool. Doing it this way also prevents a customer from being able to reference a serial number list before making a purchase. I went ahead and bought one anyway a few days ago since there would be no way to verify the serial number, and sending it back is no big deal (It's a backup/traveling light camera) as I don't need the camera right now. I'm still a bit dissapointed theat Nikon chose to do it this way, allowing retailers to sell potentially defective cameras, and putting the impetus on the customer to go through the hassle of getting the camera fixed. I suspect this is a fairly widespread problem and using this tool allows them to save a little face over publishing a huge range of affected serial numbers.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2009, 5:48 PM   #6
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 37
Default

If not for that recall,I would have bought the D5000 yesterday instead of the D90. I really liked the feel of it in my hands & the rotating LV. I asked the salesclerk about the recall & none of them were even aware of it. I would have been upset if I bought a camera & had to immediately ship it off for a recall. If not for this site,I would not have known about the recall.
sueg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2009, 7:44 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
rjseeney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Taylor Mill, Kentucky
Posts: 2,398
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sueg View Post
If not for that recall,I would have bought the D5000 yesterday instead of the D90. I really liked the feel of it in my hands & the rotating LV. I asked the salesclerk about the recall & none of them were even aware of it. I would have been upset if I bought a camera & had to immediately ship it off for a recall. If not for this site,I would not have known about the recall.
While not thrilled about the recall, especially with Nikon's history of issues at launch (This is number three--the BGLOD of the D70, The D2h dead meter being the first two, plus the DBS problem with the D300), it's not a big deal to send the camera in. Nikon typically fixes the problem quickly...you're looking at a 7 day or so turnaround, and Nikon typically checks and will fix any other issues, including cleaning the sensor for free. So you should actually feel better about the camera when you get it back because you know it won't have any issues. Yes it's inconvenient, but the D5000 fit my need--I was looking for the IQ and low light performance of my D300 in a lighter, smaller body. I didn't need all the features of the D90 (i've got a D80 as well), so there was no sense overspending. I can also afford to wait since i've already got two other bodies. I just wish they had simply published the list of bad serial numbers so shoppers could find a camera that wasn't affected, or retailers could choose to address the problem before selling the camera.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2009, 7:51 AM   #8
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 53
Default Recall

Alas, Mine will be returned soon, NOT to Nikon but the camera Store "Henrys' here in Canada. I called them and all their stock was returned to Nikon, however when the get their New stock, mine will be exchanged, no fuss, no hastle.
I can NOT fault the Store at all they are indeed honoring any recalls.
Richard.
RichardK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2009, 12:50 PM   #9
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardK View Post
Alas, Mine will be returned soon, NOT to Nikon but the camera Store "Henrys' here in Canada. I called them and all their stock was returned to Nikon, however when the get their New stock, mine will be exchanged, no fuss, no hastle.
I can NOT fault the Store at all they are indeed honoring any recalls.
Richard.

Hi

Which henrys location did you deal with i want to give them a call aswell
i bought mine juz 1 week ago and i dont want the fuss to send it to nikon
let me know ..

thanks
kalvin105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2009, 10:30 AM   #10
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 1
Default D5000 Died

I just purchased my D5000 at the end of June and was going on a 26 day trip to Europe. On day 5 my camera died, I thougt it was the battery. A dead camera with 21 days to go, through some of the best places to visit for photography. I called my dealer since I purchased lemon-aid insurance and they sent me a new body with a freind that was coming to Europe and I hooked up with them to get my new camera. If I was not able to get this new camera I would be pissed off in a big way. My brother in-law sent me the recall notice while I was travelling and that's when it all made sense. I checked both serial numbers and both bodies are recalled, they are selling defective cameras. I'm lucky that the second camera worked for the balance of my trip. Could you imagine missing pictures from: Cinqueterra, Lucca, Pisa, Florence, Sienna, Tuscany, Amalfi coast, Capri, Pompei, and Rome. I had already missed taking breathtaking pictures from the Dolomites and Venice, bummer.
dmarcuz is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:33 PM.