Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Mar 14, 2010, 12:41 AM   #11

Something else to consider. You never know if they will expand the recall. So you can not be 100% sure. If you are going to add the cost of mobile internet and wireless fee's you are adding a bunch more cost to a simple purchase. JMTC
Old Mar 14, 2010, 7:07 AM   #12

I think it's the nuisance value mostly as the fix is no big deal, as my previous Nikon D40 had to be sent back twice, once to get rid of a black lump of rubbish from inside the viewfinder, secondly to get rid of hot pixels that developed. Neither of these problems were there when I purchased the the camera, they just appeared some months later.Also Nikon UK told me that they would honour a recall repair free of charge even if the warranty had expired.
I only have that by word of mouth not in writing.
So to me it's no big deal, I would still get the D5000 if it's what you want,at least if it does have to go back you will know it's fixed plus they check the camera over at the same time.
Holster + Shoulder Bag.
Beike carbon 4 section tripod/monopod
Gorillapod SLR Zoom + BH1 ball head
Panasonic FZ1000
Panasonic FZ200
Nissin D i40 Flash
+ SLR Gorillapod
deadshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2010, 10:10 AM   #13

The scope of this recall is well known, and any bodies in the supply chain that have the problem would almost certainly have been removed. It would be extraordinary to walk into a retailer right now and be sold a camera that is subject to this recall. And I don't know about all camera stores, but the ones I've been to around the Washington, DC area all have computers with internet commections available for use by customers. You could probably check to see if the body you just bought was being recalled before you walked out of the store.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2010, 4:26 PM   #14

Hi,

It's true that the list can be expanded, as Shoturtle said - it already happened before (there ware 2 lists for D5000). But as TCav said the chances now are not too big to pick up a listed camera - this is one of the main photo stores in Orlando and seems to be serious (not so tourist directed), so it's really possible that all recall ware already sold or returned.

About Internet I cannot count on it - it seems natural to me they allow me to quicly use their computer to check, but most stores, specially in USA, usually are too "cold" in attendance - and not so flexible... (in my experience USA stores like people who "ask and pay" and then go out - they have no patience with customers who ask, have doubts, make tests, spend time comparing...)

I really decided for the D5000 due the tilt LCD (besides many very good reviews and an equlibrated set of features), but if in the store I feel insecure probably I can switch to the D90... (and the 18-270 Tamron lens, and the SB600 flash)
MarceloRSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2010, 8:53 AM   #15

I wanted a K-x, but a friend was in Dubai today and saw the D5000 go for about $1000 with 2 lenses, 18-55 and 70-300 with memory card etc thrown in.

This is at the Carrefour Nikon stand (big euro chain like Walmart).

He sms-ed me the serial number as I wanted to buy it, and it was in the recall group.

I think there are prob many such units out there.
dropmyload is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2010, 8:59 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by dropmyload View Post
I wanted a K-x, but a friend was in Dubai today and saw the D5000 go for about $1000 with 2 lenses, 18-55 and 70-300 with memory card etc thrown in.

This is at the Carrefour Nikon stand (big euro chain like Walmart).

He sms-ed me the serial number as I wanted to buy it, and it was in the recall group.

I think there are prob many such units out there.
There is a large amount of d5000's in the supply chain, it will take a while for them to get all of them sent back for the recall.

The K-x is a excellent camera. Great in low light, and very vivid photos
Old Mar 31, 2010, 9:03 AM   #17

I want a K-x but I cant find one in my part of the world!!

pentax needs to get better agents!! LOL
Old Mar 31, 2010, 9:28 AM   #18

canon 500D

Yeah, pentax is not as big as Canon and Nikon. They make a good product, but they really need to get it out to all the markets.
Old Mar 31, 2010, 9:45 AM   #19

Even the South African link on pentax.com goes to Pentax UK.
Old Mar 31, 2010, 9:52 AM   #20

Yeah it rough in Africa to get allot of stuff, but there was one shop that had pentax in capetown when I was there in late January