Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Jul 24, 2009, 6:12 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
Hi Sue-

You got a much improved photo from today's shooting of Hannah. The the focus was right where you wanted it.

I think you hit on the primary point of my examples: you are going to have to modify some of your shooting and photo techniques when you move from a point and shoot camera to a DSLR camera. They are decidedly different camera types.

Yes, at least for my style of shooting, I consider an external flash is a must. I own the SB-400, the SB-600, and the SB-800 flashes. With the high ISO capability of your D-90, you could probably get by with the little SB-400. It does not swivel, but it does have full tilt capability. The SB-400 is small and very handy. I like it a lot and use it often. That would let you get into an external flash at the $(US) 110.00 price range. The SB-600 will be more than twice that price. The SB-600 is the midsize flash in the group and a very good flash.

Sarah Joyce
Yes,I paid more attention this time & moved the props inward & focused in on her nose area instead of her chest area. As you said,DSLRs are different than P&S. Thanks for the info on the external Flash.I will check on them soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smac View Post
Your shot looks really good.

As for your flash problem. Were you still in Auto Mode? I have had the same problem until I realized that I was shooting in Auto mode (Which I almost never do anymore) As soon as you which to P (program) A(Aperture) S(shutter) or M(manual) you should have full control of your flash.
I just went outside in full blazing sun and fired off two shots of my hand. One with the flash popped up in P mode and one with the flash down in P mode. I was trying to eliminate the shadows in my hand. The flash fired and mission accomplished.
Try your outdoor shots in any mode other than Auto and the flash should fire. The shots below were taken with a D40 but it works exactly the same for my D80 and D300 too.
Cheers,
Steve

Here are the two shots. 1st, P mode Flash extended.

2nd P mode flash down.

Thanks. Yes,I was mostly using Auto mode & Portrait mode,but I tried all of the preset modes & the flash wouldn't come on. I haven't tried the Program mode yet. I'm planning on doing that soon. Worked great for your hand,so I definitely need to experiment with that.
sueg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2009, 6:28 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by sueg View Post
Thanks. Yes,I was mostly using Auto mode & Portrait mode,but I tried all of the preset modes & the flash wouldn't come on. I haven't tried the Program mode yet. I'm planning on doing that soon. Worked great for your hand,so I definitely need to experiment with that.

LOL, yes, I do have a photogenic hand don't I .

Seriously, once you set you camera on P you can easily change the f/stop by rotating the back scroll wheel and the shutter speed will automatically change to maintain the proper exposure. Then, if you feel you need it, you can pop up the flash for fill light. It's pretty cool.
Good luck and have fun discovering your new friend.
BTW, like you, I moved up from my beloved FZ20 to DSLR about 4yrs ago. What a great camera that was. You won't regret your choice.

Cheers,
Steve
smac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2009, 9:21 AM   #23

Default Dog

The Pictures are Great, did you perhaps use a Prog(photoshop) on the 3rd?? Just asking.
Richard
RichardK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2009, 1:11 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardK View Post
The Pictures are Great, did you perhaps use a Prog(photoshop) on the 3rd?? Just asking.
Richard
Thanks,I don't have Photoshop. I used a lightweight photo editor to frame,crop,resize & add the lens flare to the little flag twirler & remove a part of a fence from the background. No other editing was done.
Old Jul 27, 2009, 12:30 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by smac View Post
LOL, yes, I do have a photogenic hand don't I .

Seriously, once you set you camera on P you can easily change the f/stop by rotating the back scroll wheel and the shutter speed will automatically change to maintain the proper exposure. Then, if you feel you need it, you can pop up the flash for fill light. It's pretty cool.
Good luck and have fun discovering your new friend.
BTW, like you, I moved up from my beloved FZ20 to DSLR about 4yrs ago. What a great camera that was. You won't regret your choice.

Cheers,
Steve
Just wanted to let you & Sarah know that I experimented with the program mode & flash & it worked. Same lime green backdrop outside was used as original setup & the photos looked much much better with no greenish reflection on her face. Thanks for helping me find an easy solution for my problem.
Old Jul 27, 2009, 6:24 PM   #26

Sue-

I am delighted to hear that the latest photos of Hannah turned out just fine.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote