Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Jul 23, 2009, 5:22 PM   #1

Default First photos

I tried out my D90 today using Auto mode. I think they're OK,but I don't really see as much improvement over my Powershot as I was expecting. These 2 pics were taken outside,& there's a discoloration around Hannahs mouth area that isn't really there & it's not there when I use my Powershot either. Any suggestions? Is there a setting I need to change? Keep in mind,I'm not yet ready for the advanced settings. Just feeling my way around & getting use to the camera. The last photo was taken with my Canon Powershot about 3 weeks ago.

sueg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 23, 2009, 6:50 PM   #2

Sue-

The photos look great for starter photos. My guess about the discoloration around Hannah's mouth is that in the newer photos you were shooting downward. In the last photo you were at eye level with Hannah.

One other item that could be checked is the WB setting. My suggestion is that rather than using the full Auto Mode, that you use the "P" for Programed Auto Mode. That works just like auto, but also allows you to make changes such as ISO speed, WB, Exposure Compensation, Flash Compensation etc

Sarah Joyce

Last edited by mtclimber; Jul 23, 2009 at 10:11 PM.
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2009, 6:57 PM   #3

Well you show two different settings to show a difference. Well I don't think it is conclusive as you have stated as such. The color off the facial area of your dog is the actual color of the green background reflecting off the dog. Why just the face I am not sure but I can pretty much say that this is what it is.

Try shooting again the same setting as your last shot.
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2009, 7:49 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
Sue-

The photos look grat for starter photos. My guess about the discoloration around Hannah's mouth is that in the newer photos you were shooting downward. In the last photo you were at eye level with Hannah.

One other item that could be checked is the WB setting. My suggestion is that rather than using the full Auto Mode, that you use the "P" for Programed Auto Mode. That works just like auto, but also allows you to make changes such as ISO speed, WB, Exposure Compensation, Flash Compensation etc

Sarah Joyce
Thanks Sarah. I'll try the Program mode next & check the WB. You're right, looks like I wasn't quite at eye level like I thought I was. I'll try that same scene again & see if I can do better. Thanks for the suggestions. I've photographed clouds today & flowers also,still have to check those out.
Old Jul 23, 2009, 7:57 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by vIZnquest View Post
Well you show two different settings to show a difference. Well I don't think it is conclusive as you have stated as such. The color off the facial area of your dog is the actual color of the green background reflecting off the dog. Why just the face I am not sure but I can pretty much say that this is what it is.

Try shooting again the same setting as your last shot.
I only wanted to show that her face was not discolored as the 1st 2 photos make it seem. Sorry,I should have made that clear. I've never had a reflection problem before,but I'll except that as a possible cause. Thanks for your opinion.
Old Jul 23, 2009, 9:19 PM   #6

I definately think the green in the first two pictures is a color cast from the blanket. To get a good comparison, try taking the same shot in the same place with both cameras. I just got my D90, too (a couple of months ago) and it really does take amazing pictures. I thougt nothing could replace my beloved Panasonic FZ20, which took GREAT pictures, but the D90 blows it out of the water.
ride16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2009, 9:46 PM   #7

Default Know Where Your DSLR Camera is Focusing

Sue-

I also think that the possibility of a green cast from the blanket could have been a cause of the problem. You will only know for sure when you repose the scene and duplicate the camera angle.

I have an SLR Seminar to do during the next contract, so I was shooting some photos tonight to illustrate how important really knowing where is focusing can make or break a photo.

I kept the Bell Pepper tops when I made the salad tonight. Here is photo #1 it was taken with the Nikon D-40X equipped with the Nikon SB-800 flash. I just let the camera do its thing and purposely set up the Bell Pepper tops behind each other.

Because I gave the camera no specific direction it went ahead and focused on the stem of the Yellow Bell Pepper top. But look what happened to the Red Bell Pepper top. It fell out of focus.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Old Jul 23, 2009, 9:48 PM   #8

Default 100% Crop of the Above Posted Photo

Hi Sue-

Here is a 100% crop of the above posted photo. It proves that the Yellow Bell Pepper top was the focus point.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Old Jul 23, 2009, 9:52 PM   #9

Default A 100% Crop of the stem of the Red bell Pepper

OK, Sue-

Here is a 100% crop showing what happened to the Red Bell Pepper top. It is not in focus.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Old Jul 23, 2009, 9:58 PM   #10

Default A Different Result

Ok, another photo for you, Sue-

This photo was taken with the Pentax K-2000 camera equipped with the Pentax AF-360 Flash. In this photo I took the time to position the plate so that the two Bell pepper tops were parallel to each other, so that they would both be in focus.

On purpose, I specifically focused on the stem of the Yellow Bell Pepper. Now please notice how the result is better in this photo than the last photo.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Last edited by mtclimber; Jul 23, 2009 at 10:12 PM.