Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Jul 23, 2009, 9:48 PM   #1

Default D40 Shots

A few shots taken with the D40 yesterday with the 18-200mm VR. The lens came with my first D200. I actually have two D200's with battery grip. I just wanted a smaller lighter dSLR again. I had the D40 two years ago and sold it to a friend who needed a camera.

After waiting and seeing what else has come out the D40x, D60, D90, D5000 were all in my price range of a new lighter camera. I went with the D40 again and find it to do some great stuff with the 18-200mm VR.
Attached Images

vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 23, 2009, 11:15 PM   #2

Those are great photos. I like how the peacocks feathers fill the whole frame.
sueg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2009, 11:23 PM   #3

Very nice Nikon D-40 camera shots, Viz-

I like the size of the D-40 a lot. I also have the D-40X, but it is not a huge improvement.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2009, 8:17 AM   #4

Wow!! Nice pix!! I going to have to look at that VR lens. Awesome.
rambilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2009, 10:35 AM   #5

Hey Tom, Nice shots.
I just bought my first D40 for the exact reasons you stated plus the 1/500 flash sync rate. So far, I am really impressed with the little 18-55mm DX II lens that came with it. I'm looking forward to shooting with my 18-200mmVR to see what it can do. Thanks for the preview.

All the best,
Steve
smac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2009, 1:02 PM   #6

Thank you everyone. Steve, the 1/500 sync flash was the deal breaker. The others are just too slow. I can high speed sync with my D200 but again light and great battery life made it a no brainer for me. Oh, by the way, the lizard shot was through glass. I leaned the lens hood on the glass and then held the SB 400 speedlight against my forehead for a rock solid base. Also, keep your cam in continuous mode for getting shots you might end up missing. I just click quickly for one shot if that is all I need of just hold it down for continuous and pick the best out of the lot.

Last edited by vIZnquest; Jul 24, 2009 at 5:21 PM.
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2009, 9:21 AM   #7

Great pix Vinz, i just get my new 35 mm f/1.8g lense and I am having fun with it from now. Next time i will post some pictures here, i really have to get one of those 18-200 mm VR before Christmas.
reivaxeSL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2009, 11:09 AM   #8

I try to follow the Dpreview forums a little, but I really get annoyed with the attitude that some of the people there. They all seem to feel that if you want to "do anything serious" you have to have at least a D90 and at least one lens in the $1000+ category. Otherwise, your photos are basically worthless. And their signature line "proves" that they know what they are talking about because their inventory of equipment list is longer than their comments. Then I come here and see images like the ones that were shared and it reminds me that the photographer and his/her abilities has just as much, if not more, impact on the quality of images.

I broke the 18-55 mm kit lens that came with my D40, the wind toppled the camera and tripod and ruined the lens. So I'm using my Sigma 18-200 for just about everything right now. Yes, the lens is a little heavy for the camera, but it does a good job (in my opinion). My main obstacle is me. After all these years of playing around with cameras and photography, I'm still not a very good photographer. But it sure is fun to keep trying.

I sometimes think I would like to upgrade. But then I look at the images I've taken and I really don't need anything else. The images are much better than anything I have been able to produce with any of my other cameras that I have had in the past. My daughter got married about a year ago. My D40 was brand new at the time, my son-in-law had a D70, my niece had a D80, and there were a couple of "professional" photographers (and I use that term very loosely) who were using Canon cameras. When comparing all of the photos, the only way I can identify which camera was used is to read the metadata.

So I guess until I'm ready to get serious about my photography I will be completely satisfied with my D40, my notoriously horrible (in the Dpreview circles) Sigma lens, and my "grossly underpowered" SB-400 flash.
jphess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2009, 11:20 AM   #9
Super Moderator

that sigma 18-200 isn't a bad lens at all for its intended purposes. its a little soft towards the 200 end, but in the rest of the range, it does really quite nicely. fstopjojo who use to frequent these boards has run some nice lens tests and this is a favorite superzoom for him.

you could add a cheapy 50 1.8 lens to that kit for when you need shallow dof or low light conditions and you could do a heck of alot with just those 2 lenses and flash.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2009, 11:47 AM   #10

Actually, I have been thinking about getting the 35mm 1.8. I was getting close to getting one, but then I wrecked my car, my fault, deductibles to pay, toys have to go on hold for a while.
jphess is offline   Reply With Quote