Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Aug 2, 2009, 8:31 PM   #1

Default D90 question

In a nut shell, how good is the D90
i previously owned a Pentax K20D, which i sold and was looking at the D90 to replace it with, if any of you guys have experience with the two, that would give me a good judge analsis
i am a casual photographer with a passion for photography, usually just need it for family, vacations etc.
Dave
dafiryde is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 2, 2009, 8:43 PM   #2

By all accounts, the D90 is very good. However, what was your reason for selling the K20d?? The two cameras are very similar, and the Pentax is weather sealed and has slightly higher resolution. The video feature and better AF system of the D90 would probably be the biggest advantages over the k20d. In reality, to get a significantly better body from Nikon you'd have to go up to the D300 or D300s. I doubt the Nikon would automatically lead to better results than what you were getting from the K20d.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2009, 9:04 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjseeney View Post
By all accounts, the D90 is very good. However, what was your reason for selling the K20d?? The two cameras are very similar, and the Pentax is weather sealed and has slightly higher resolution. The video feature and better AF system of the D90 would probably be the biggest advantages over the k20d. In reality, to get a significantly better body from Nikon you'd have to go up to the D300 or D300s. I doubt the Nikon would automatically lead to better results than what you were getting from the K20d.
i sold it to my daughter with intencions of getting the K7, but having money in my hand, which usually does not last long so i started looking at other avenues, as i have a chance to start over, would Nikon be a better, more reliable, dependable, durable system
what i like about the D90 is
- better high iso performance
- better autofocus system
- nikon offers a 18-105 lens that shows spectular mtf results
- weather sealed is a marketing sales pitch, never wanted to take pictures in pooring rain, i live on an island and believe you me , nothing is weather sealed from that.
- video i dont care for

Dave

Last edited by dafiryde; Aug 2, 2009 at 11:51 PM.
Old Aug 4, 2009, 5:31 PM   #4

i know that on paper theres not much to choose between them, but after using them both side by side, the nikon feels way better, most noticable are the lcd screen is clearer, the shutter seems way faster, its quieter, auto focus is way better, the onboard flash is more accurate and its smaller.
im not trying to diss the pentax, its a good camera, but to me i dont understand how they can compare the two, the nikon is in a diffeent league, go to a local camera shop, ask to have a go with a D90 and youll see what i mean right away.

having not tried the D300 i cant comment but if its the next level up from the D90 then i can imagine its going to be an amazing piece of kit
kazuya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2009, 7:17 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazuya View Post
i know that on paper theres not much to choose between them, but after using them both side by side, the nikon feels way better, most noticable are the lcd screen is clearer, the shutter seems way faster, its quieter, auto focus is way better, the onboard flash is more accurate and its smaller.
im not trying to diss the pentax, its a good camera, but to me i dont understand how they can compare the two, the nikon is in a diffeent league, go to a local camera shop, ask to have a go with a D90 and youll see what i mean right away.

having not tried the D300 i cant comment but if its the next level up from the D90 then i can imagine its going to be an amazing piece of kit
in reference to your first paragraph, are you refering to the K7 and D90
i apologise to be rushing here but i really am running out of time, and need to pull the plug soon

Dave

Last edited by dafiryde; Aug 4, 2009 at 7:19 PM.
Old Aug 4, 2009, 7:31 PM   #6

no im comparing the k20D and the D90
Old Aug 5, 2009, 12:04 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazuya View Post
no im comparing the k20D and the D90
more more thing, can you say for focusing in low light how does the D90 and 18-105, measure up together

Dave
Old Aug 5, 2009, 5:42 AM   #8

well the D90 has a light that comes on to help it focus in low light conditions, which helps a lot, the light can be switched off but ive not tried it without the light.

my main reason for swapping systems was the focusing, i shoot a lot of moving horses, the D90 does a great job, for me the swap was well worth it.
Old Aug 5, 2009, 11:31 AM   #9

The D-90 focuses VERY well – quickly, accurately, and is very adaptive. As someone once said, if you are not happy with the way this camera focuses, you need to learn the focus modes and settings.

You can have it focus once (single), continuously, or chose between the two automatically. And you choose between single selection focus, auto selection focus, tracking, or 3D tracking. Chose the right one for your situation and you will happy. Or chose auto – auto and it will get it right 95% of the time.

Edited to show up on the new white background..

Garry

Last edited by GSFinlay; Aug 21, 2009 at 10:38 AM.
GSFinlay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2009, 12:21 PM   #10

Well the clock ticking sound was starting to get extremly loud,
so i went on Amazon and looked over the 200+ pics that past purchasers posted on the 18-200 and personall i was pleased with what i saw,
out of 326 reviews, 223 gave it 5 stars, 66 gave 4 stars, refering to an old saying , 289 french men cant be wrong out of 326. thats 87% gave a thumbs up
So i pulled the plug on a D90 with 18-200, 35/1.8, 600 flash

one thing i did not ask though, i ordered the 35/1.8 really for thos low light situations, was this a good choice, or do you think i would not really need it.

Dave