Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Aug 20, 2009, 2:50 AM   #1

Default D50 or D70s - Which is better

Recently had my D50 stolen and am looking into getting a replacement camera. As I am a relative newbie to DSLR photography, just want a decent camera to learn with. I have narrowed my choice down to the two cameras but just wanted canvas the opinions of the forum. The camera will be used mainly for taking portraits, landscaes and action shots. Any help would be gratefully received and appreciated

dotibwai is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 20, 2009, 3:52 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dotibwai View Post
Recently had my D50 stolen and am looking into getting a replacement camera. As I am a relative newbie to DSLR photography, just want a decent camera to learn with. I have narrowed my choice down to the two cameras but just wanted canvas the opinions of the forum. The camera will be used mainly for taking portraits, landscaes and action shots. Any help would be gratefully received and appreciated

The D70 offers more control and has a few more features. However both cameras are severaiql years old, so obviously you'll be buying used, which in my opinion is a bit risky. If anything were to go wrong with the camera it would likely cost more to fix it than the camera is worth. New/refurbished D40's can be had for under $400, and will have better image quality and low light performance than either the D50 or D70.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2009, 8:44 AM   #3

I hear your point but then the D40's can't utilise non AF-S lens unless you want to use manual focus, and I have a few lenses which are non-AF-S
Old Aug 20, 2009, 9:19 AM   #4

Quote:
I hear your point but then the D40's can't utilise non AF-S lens unless you want to use manual focus, and I have a few lenses which are non-AF-S
That is one of the issues with the entry level Nikons. Which non afs lenses do you have?? There are plenty of afs lenses out there on the used market, and depending on your lenses, it may be worth trading some of those lenses for newer ones. Otherwise, I would look to the D80 over the D70s and D50. It's newer and has a better sensor with better IQ and low light performance than the D50 or D70s. It can be had used for around $500.
Old Aug 20, 2009, 9:40 AM   #5
Administrator

What's your budget?

keh.com has used D70s bodies in excellent condition or better for $349 and up, depending on what's included, etc. Some examples:

http://www.keh.com/OnLineStore/Produ...BCL=&GBC=&GCC=

The D80 is running around $500. Some examples:

keh.com gives you a 60 day warranty on most used gear:

http://www.keh.com/onlinestore/faq.aspx#aWarrantyPolicy

Adorama.com has refurbished D80 bodies for approx. $575 delivered with a 90 day warranty from Nikon USA.

http://www.adorama.com/INKD80R.html
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2009, 12:43 PM   #6

Thanks for the responses but at this moment in time i feel that the D80 is probably a bit more than i need, not to mention outside my budget. I have just purchased a D50 this afternoon and am lookin forward to gettin gre-aquainted with it. The only lenses I have left at present are 24mm f2.8 and a 70-210mm f4-5.6. Will start looking for a kit lens which i know can be picked up fairly cheaply on ebay. Does any one know whether nikon did a battery grip for this camera or will i need to get a Hahnel one if i chose to so so

Thanks
Old Aug 20, 2009, 1:53 PM   #7

Quote:
Thanks for the responses but at this moment in time i feel that the D80 is probably a bit more than i need, not to mention outside my budget. I have just purchased a D50 this afternoon and am lookin forward to gettin gre-aquainted with it. The only lenses I have left at present are 24mm f2.8 and a 70-210mm f4-5.6. Will start looking for a kit lens which i know can be picked up fairly cheaply on ebay. Does any one know whether nikon did a battery grip for this camera or will i need to get a Hahnel one if i chose to so so

Thanks
Nikon never produced a grip for the D50. There are several 3rd party grips available.
Old Aug 21, 2009, 3:26 AM   #8

Default Message from Helen, Adorama Camera Customer Service Ambassador

Quote:
Recently had my D50 stolen and am looking into getting a replacement camera.
I was so sorry to read about your loss.
I don't know how useful this is. Last year Adorama reported on a site called "I found your camera", that posted photos from found cameras and media cards in the hopes that the owners would reclaim them.

More recently, we came across another site called "I Want My Camera Back", a European-based stolen and lost photo equipment database. Owners of lost gear worldwide can list their lost equipment brand, model, serial number and equipment type, plus any other relevant details and it will be added into the database. The database can be searched by serial number.
For details, read the I Want My Camera Back press release:

Lost photo equipment? Report it here!

Iwantmycameraback.com is a photographic equipment serial number collective base for items which have been declared stolen or lost. The website through a specifically formulated process allows photographers to declare all details about their lost equipment, such as the brand, the model, the serial number and also information which concerns the place, the time of loss and finally an email address for further contact.

Photographic supply shops, service centers, prospective buyers and whoever else wishes to, can, by using the search engine provided by this website, search through equipment serial numbers to find out if it has been declared lost or stolen.

Also it it possible to contact the owner who declared the loss, in order for him to be given the necessary information as in how to retrieve the equipment. The website www.iwantmycameraback.com aspires to become a universal database for lost and stolen equipment and to increase the percentage of retrievals.

In other words, it will no longer be necessary to inform every service center, photographic supply shop or photographer independently in case of loss. They will be informed through the upload of the information on the website.

In addition, due to the universal nature of this service it will be possible to immediately and directly inform all service centers, photographic supply shops and photographers in all countries.

The function of the website depends on the universal community of photographers and is of a non-profitable nature.

We invite all concerned individuals, amateur or professional, all forms of the printed media, unions and organizations and every person connected in any way with photography to support our effort and to actively participate in the search process.

2008 Adorama

Helen Oster
Adorama Camera Customer Service Ambassador

HelenOster is offline   Reply With Quote