Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Aug 25, 2009, 12:10 PM   #1

Default focus problem

I'm sure it's user error, but I can't seem to get the focus right. I used the P mode,flash,VR on,AF on. All other settings default since I'm still pretty green on how to use the D90 custom settings. All of my pictures are coming out with the subject a bit blurry to my eyes. What am I doing wrong? Here's a sample,but it's one of the better ones.

sueg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 25, 2009, 1:10 PM   #2
Administrator

You're shooting a small subject at a wider aperture setting (lower f/stop number), f/4 in the case of this photo, at a very close range (focus distance of 0.56 meters in this case) at a focal length of 18.3mm. Hence, you're going to have a very shallow Depth of Field. See this online Depth of Field calculator for more information:

http://www.dofmaster.com/dofjs.html

Shoot in Aperture Priority mode and use a smaller aperture (higher f/stop number) if you are going to fill the frame that much with a smaller subject if you want more depth of field.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2009, 4:57 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
You're shooting a small subject at a wider aperture setting (lower f/stop number), f/4 in the case of this photo, at a very close range (focus distance of 0.56 meters in this case) at a focal length of 18.3mm. Hence, you're going to have a very shallow Depth of Field. See this online Depth of Field calculator for more information:

http://www.dofmaster.com/dofjs.html

Shoot in Aperture Priority mode and use a smaller aperture (higher f/stop number) if you are going to fill the frame that much with a smaller subject if you want more depth of field.
Ok, I'm trying the aperture mode. Had to go up to a much higher no. to see a noticable improvement. Thanks for the help. I'll keep experimenting with it.
sueg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2009, 7:48 PM   #4

Sueg-

You can also select "Spot Focus" so that you can focus on a single spot.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2009, 8:17 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
Sueg-

You can also select "Spot Focus" so that you can focus on a single spot.

Sarah Joyce
That's still not going to help with the depth of field issue that the OP is experiencing. The focus point wasn't the problem...the eyes are sharp. The only way to get the entire subject in focus is to use a smaller aperture.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2009, 9:16 PM   #6

RJ-

You are entirely correct. Using the "A" mode (aperture preference) would allow SUEG to get the aperture smaller and attain a much better and effective DOF.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote