Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Aug 31, 2009, 11:56 PM   #1

Default f-- error on D50 with Tokina 80-200 2.8

I just bought a second hand lens for my D50. The lens is Tokina AT-X 828 AF 80-200 2.8 SD APO. It works good while I continue to shoot. But, I get an f-- error when I set the camera down for a min. I can get rid of the error, if I unlock the lens, and then twist it back on again, as long as the camera is on. It will not reset if the camera is off. I found through some searches that the meter times out for some reason. There is a setting on the D50 menu > pencil > #18 meter off. I changed it to 30 min. Now I do not get the error. I suppose I will get the error in 30 min. Has anyone seen this before? I wonder how much battery the 30 min metering uses?

Last edited by stevem1928; Sep 1, 2009 at 2:08 AM.
stevem1928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 1, 2009, 7:24 AM   #2
Administrator

Are you sure the aperture ring on the lens is at the highest f/stop number (if it has one)? If so, I'd try turning it back and forth just to make sure it's locked in that position OK and making a good connection there.

I'd also try cleaning the lens mount contacts in case a bit of oxidation is keeping it from making a good electrical connection.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2009, 11:38 PM   #3

Jim, Your suggestions were the first things I thought of as well. I tried them. No help. It is really weird how this error is strictly based on time. Now that I have the camera set to meter off at 30 min. the problem doesn't effect me unless the camera is on for more than 30 min with that lens. If the camera is left on for 30 min or more, I have to remove and re-attache the lens with the camera on. I can not do it with the camera off.

I noticed a list of incompatible lenses in the back of the manual. I did not find this particular lens on the list.
stevem1928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2009, 8:42 AM   #4

I have the same issue. When I first power the camera on I get the F-- but after unlocking and rotating the lens back into position it works great until the meter times out. I altered the meter timeout to 30 minutes and verifed the same behavior. I don't know how that will affect battery life now...
lonestardiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2009, 9:44 AM   #5

I just bought a Tokina 100-300mm f/4.0 lens and had some similar problems. On mine, the aperture lock switch was broken and I could inadvertently rotate the aperture ring, at which point my D90 would go haywire. In addition, I could occasionally adjust the aperture to as large as f/1.0! (If only it were so!)

I contacted Tokina's repair at THKPhoto.com (800-421-1141), and learned that there is an inexpensive fix for the problem. Apparently, older Tokina AF lenses can have problems on dSLRs, but they have a fix for it. My lens is on it's way back and I should have it next week. The repair cost about $115. They also fixed the aperture lock switch and included a spare so if it happens again, I can fix it myself.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2009, 10:16 AM   #6

How is THKPhoto's customer service ?
Do they do good work ?
Old Dec 30, 2009, 10:24 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonestardiver View Post
How is THKPhoto's customer service ?
Do they do good work ?
I'll tell you next week.

But if this is your problem, your only alternative is to live with it.
Old Dec 30, 2009, 10:37 AM   #8

It appears to be the only problem...the aperature lock tab is intact and working. I just have to hit the bayonet release button and rotate about 35 degrees and the then back to lock....by setting the meter timeout to 30minutes (max on D50) I don't have the problem unless I turn it off. So for the moment I can live with it.
Old Dec 30, 2009, 11:20 AM   #9

That's the problem I had, and that's how I fixed it (until it happened again.)
Old Dec 30, 2009, 11:53 AM   #10

I just got a rough phone quote for $70 with cleaning and such. Sounds like the lens is going to be making a trip in the near future.