Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Sep 2, 2009, 2:24 AM   #1

Default old nikkor to new Nikon d 60

I'm going to buy Nikon d 60 body. I have AF Zoom-Nikkor 28-80 f/3,5-5,6d lens left from old film camera Nikon n 60.
So the question is will it work with d 60? If not, what other Nikon models will it work with?
yiorgos is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 2, 2009, 5:59 AM   #2
Administrator

You could mount it on a D60, but you wouldn't have Autofocus with it (you'd need to use Manual Focus)

The current entry level Nikon dSLR bodies (D40, D40x, D60, D3000, D5000) do not have a built in focus motor. So, you'll need to use lenses that do have a motor built in if you want Autofocus. In the Nikon lineup, that means using AF-S (Silent Wave Motor focusing) lenses to get Autofocus with these bodies. All other Nikon dSLR bodies (D50, D70, D80, D90, D100, D200, D300, etc.) do have motors built into the camera body and would Autofocus with that lens.

That lens isn't worth much on the used market. So, I probably wouldn't base a camera purchase decision over it.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2009, 9:04 AM   #3

Thank you for detailed answer!
Old Sep 2, 2009, 9:41 AM   #4
Administrator

Also keep in mind that you'll have a narrower angle of view (more apparent magnification) using a camera model with an APS-C size sensor. For cameras using a Sony APS-C size sensor (as the D60 uses), just multiply the focal length of the lens by 1.5x to see what focal length you'd need on a 35mm camera for the same angle of view. For example, a 100mm lens on a D60 would give you the same angle of view that you'd get using a 150mm lens on a 35mm camera (100mm x 1.5 = 150mm). For Canon dSLR models using a Canon APS-C size sensor (which is slightly smaller compared to the Sony APS-C size sensor used in your Nikon D60), use 1.6x instead.

IOW, that 28-80mm lens would give you the same angle of view on a D60 that you'd have using a 42-120mm lens on a 35mm camera. That's great if you want a longer focal length, but can present problems when you need a wider angle of view (for example group shots indoors where you may not be able to back up far enough to fit everyone into the frame, or a photo of a tree or buildings where the wide end of the zoom range with that kind of lens may be too long on a camera using an APS-C size sensor if you don't have room to back up further.

That's one reason that kit lenses with models using an APS-C size sensor usually start out at around 18mm. For example, a Nikkor 18-55mm lens on that camera would give you approximately the same angle of view you'd have using a 27-82mm lens on a 35mm camera (roughly the same range you had with your 28-80mm lens on a 35mm camera -- again, just multiply the focal length by 1.5x to see how they compare).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2009, 9:13 PM   #5

To summarize:

1. The lens will work on a D60
2. The lens will allow all basic exposure modes (Auto, P, S, A, & M) to be used.

3. The lens will not autofocus, but the "electronic rangefinder" function should work fine (basically, you play the part of the AF motor by turning the focusing ring and an indicator in the VF tells you when it thinks you are in focus).

4. When used on a DX format camera, like the D60, the lens' focal length range leaves it somewhat lacking as an only lens, though its not unusable for someone not partial to wide angle lenses. It would be better as a companion to another wider lens, either the 18-55 kit lens common on the D60 or something like a 12-24mm lens.
Old Sep 3, 2009, 4:29 AM   #6

Thank you, dwig, now I have enough food for fought. I simply saw a new d 60 body with a substantial discount and was about to buy it. Now Iíll once more weigh all pros and cons and probably buy d 80, or even switch to Canon d 1000 or 450.
Old Sep 3, 2009, 4:31 AM   #7

Thanks a lot JimC. I was told old lens will most likely work differently with new SLR, now I can understand the reason. Some people also state that the quality of photos will be considerably worse.