Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Sep 13, 2009, 5:04 PM   #11

Default access good point

Yes-- access will be yes and a no at times. Your suggesting at 50-75 feet I will be able to get by with the 85mm f/1.8? Mark showed some shots that backed his claim on the clarity and blur of not using the 200mm f/2.8 in the gym (not enough light). I think he has a valid point with the D300 and going up with the 1.8 or 1.4, but distance will be the challenge or access like you mentioned. At 150-200 feet away what would be the choice for the D90 or D300? I'm sure I'm breaking the 3G's budget at this point. Somethings got to give soon...9/25 is approaching.
TMel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2009, 6:33 PM   #12
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMel View Post
Yes-- access will be yes and a no at times. Your suggesting at 50-75 feet I will be able to get by with the 85mm f/1.8? Mark showed some shots that backed his claim on the clarity and blur of not using the 200mm f/2.8 in the gym (not enough light). I think he has a valid point with the D300 and going up with the 1.8 or 1.4, but distance will be the challenge or access like you mentioned. At 150-200 feet away what would be the choice for the D90 or D300? I'm sure I'm breaking the 3G's budget at this point. Somethings got to give soon...9/25 is approaching.
No, the 85 will only give you good results up to about 25-30ft. I use this lens as when shooting a gymnastics event I'm sitting on the floor just off the edge of the area. So it is good for about the centre of the floor and closer, you will not be able to shoot the opposite corner or even the other two corners if you were positioned the same as me.

If you need 150+ feet then you are looking at 400mm and that will cost an arm, a leg and possibly some other body parts.

You are working in some of the most difficult lighting situations around and adding distance/range just bumps the already high price up.

For focal length shooting ranges take a look at this thread.

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/sp...distances.html
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2009, 10:08 PM   #13

Mark- Great info on the distances...very nice to have for the beginner. Its kind of like having your distances handy for all your irons in golf--pretty important if you want to be close. I think its down to D300 w/the kit lens and grab either the 85mm f/1.4 or 1.8 to start out and save for the extra special down the road. For gymnastics I believe your (Mark) shots were with the 85mm f/1.8 if I'm not mistaken. Quite a price jump to the f/1.4 isn't it?
This hobby can get pretty costly. In fact it is about the most 'focused' a guy can get when you look at $ amounts for the lenses you desire. Thanks again Mark, Terry
Old Sep 14, 2009, 4:19 AM   #14
Super Moderator

Hi Terry,

I'm a Canon shooter and I use the 85mm f1.8. With the first 2 gym shots this is the lens I was using combined with the Canon 1D mkIII, the others are with the Canon 5D and Sigma 120-300mm f2.8.

Mark
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2009, 12:57 PM   #15

Do you think the new D300s is a better choice...I'm always weary of new models. I am going to buy the D300 now I don't know to go w/the D300 (DX)? or just plain D300 or the D300S. I've compared, but me being relatively green do not know a whole lot of diff. Sound w/HD video--I don't think you buy cameras like this to really base your decision on video? I'm almost there. I am buying the 85mm f/1.8 lens.
Old Sep 16, 2009, 1:03 PM   #16

If you're not interested in video then I would say buy the D300 - add the battery pack and you get 8fps. The battery pack is more useful than video IMO. Especially since you seem to agree video isn't a top priority.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2009, 2:52 PM   #17
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMel View Post
Do you think the new D300s is a better choice...I'm always weary of new models...
Notice the control pad on the D300 (no separate center button for AF, making it more difficult than it needs to be for more consistent use of that feature).

The new D300s will have a control pad design that gives you more confident control for forcing focus lock on the Center AF point by pressing and holding a dedicated center button, regardless of focus mode and settings you're using when conditions warrant that kind of action. I use that feature relatively often with my Sony A700, when I want to be certain of AF lock in tough conditions and DOF permits using it while reframing if necessary.

You'll find the same type of design on Nikon's more advanced models like the D700 and D3. So, I'd view the new control pad as a plus with the newer D300s model. It's also got a slightly faster frame rate compared to the D300 (clocking in at 7fps without going to a battery grip).

We'll have to wait on more comparisons in controlled conditions, but my guess is that noise reduction algorithms are improved at higher ISO speed settings (i.e, 4000 to 6400), too. I've also seen it mentioned that AF speed and algorithms should be improved (but, I haven't seen any tests comparing them yet).

Since you asked about the differences, my assumption is that you may have the budget to go with the newer model. You'll tend to pay a bit more for the "latest and greatest" camera in a given market niche. So, from a financial perspective buying an older model can be a better bet.

But, the best choice for you would depend on the price difference between the models, any benefit with the newer model you'd see for the type of shooting you'd do, how long you plan on keeping a camera before upgrading to a replacement model and more. You'd also want to consider what your total budget is for the camera and lenses (a better lens on a less expensive body is often a better idea compared to a newer body with a lower quality lens, depending on the differences between cameras and how you are going to use one more often).

Here's the back of the new D300s. Note the differences in the multi-directional control pad (the newer D300s has a dedicated center button).
Attached Images

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2009, 9:06 PM   #18

Mark-Jim ARGH! For openers that is the best I can say after my wife held both cameras (D90-D300). "This camera is a bit heavy for me I like this one." Well what do u think she was talking about? The D90 over the D300. Not much diff to me, but she is into photos as much as me. Now I know I should say well lets get the D300 then u can get your own D90. But I have 3 kids and a thing called a budget. Not a complete loss-- cause I think I can still get reasonably the same shots with the D90 as the D300. (Also I could possibly save and get my own D300 a yr later)...I would just have to spend more on the glass for inside?...Yes or no or your thinking this guy just is crazy (me). I have been reading around and I think we will still be OK...responses from my buddies out there--please.
Old Sep 24, 2009, 9:46 PM   #19
Administrator

You'd probably be OK with either one. Sure, the D300 has some advantages in some areas (AF System, frame rate and more). But, I'd keep your wife happy if she likes the D90 more, especially since it's easier on the budget. ;-)
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2009, 12:03 PM   #20

Jim - Mark I sent you both thanks, but in case you did not get them. I'm in with the D300 afterall and the 85mm f/1.8 for inside gymnastics. Now to save a little more for my next lens...Here we go again Can't decide what to compliment me new rig with. I'm sure you guys will have no problem spending my money here. Outside wildlife, surfing, and general sports. I have some ideas I'll pick your guys brains a bit. 70-200... Thanks again guys. Terry (under my budget by $700)