Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Sep 10, 2009, 9:35 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
Now if only I could apply it to, say, 50 photos at a time.
You are not going to beleive this. You can select any or all images in a folder, and apply Axial Color Aberration to them.

As much as I would like it not to happen in the first place, it's nice to be able to fix it so easily.

Have all of you known about this all along?
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2009, 10:03 AM   #32

Sorry to high-jack this tread, but the question of whether the D-90 has CA correction automatically is something to consider. It is not clear is it or is it?

Dpreview, Thom Hogan and others report it as a feature, and show examples. But they say Nikon does not document this. I have NEF photos that show slight CA with my 16-85 lens. I have shot JEPGs that show little, or no CA in similar conditions. This is not definitive, but it is an indication that something has been corrected.

Bottom line, if you see CA in NEF but not JEPG from your D90, it works for you. Now, whether it is real or not is still up in the air.

Garry
GSFinlay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2009, 10:07 AM   #33
Administrator

If TCav gets a chance, that would be something to test with both the D300 and D90 in those conditions (using the same exposure settings), with that same lens. I'm wondering if the D300 could have some lens specific correction information that's missing with the D90 (speculation, but I've never seen the kind of problem in those photos from a D300 before).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2009, 10:09 AM   #34
Administrator

But, again, that crop did appear to be overexposed (blacks turning to gray, brighter white areas blown, with no indication of blocked shadows). So, I'd try dialing in around -1 EV with Exposure Compensation and see if a darker exposure helps the issue.
Old Sep 10, 2009, 11:01 AM   #35
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
If TCav gets a chance, that would be something to test with both the D300 and D90 in those conditions (using the same exposure settings), with that same lens. I'm wondering if the D300 could have some lens specific correction information that's missing with the D90 (speculation, but I've never seen the kind of problem in those photos from a D300 before).
Another theory is that it could be disabled in some modes with the D90 (for example, Continuous Drive Mode) due to extra processing time needed to perform the corrections. Again, that's speculation on my part.

Without testing both a D300 and D90 in the same conditions, using the same settings, with the same lens, there's no way to know for sure what differences there may be in this area between camera models, since AFAIK, Nikon does not admit to the D90 having CA correction built in.
Old Sep 10, 2009, 12:17 PM   #36

Good points. A great subject for study. I'll see if I can force my D90 to JEPG some CAs for us.
GSFinlay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2009, 12:29 PM   #37

I don't know if I can wrestle my son's D300 away from him, but I'll try.
Old Sep 11, 2009, 8:45 AM   #38

Default An update on ViewNX

When implimenting the Axial Color Aberration in ViewNX, the resulting JPEG files are less than half the size of the originals, presumeably because the default JPEG compression is higher in ViewNX than in the Large/Fine images the D90 created, and I can't find a way to change the default. This has two consequences:
  1. The color is slightly more subdued, which isn't a bad idea for my purposes. The lighting is a mixture of sodium vapor lights and sunlight, and the white balance changes from shot to shot (using Auto WB), so the color wasn't great anyway. I tried using a custom preset, and the results were not as good as when using Auto. At least Auto WB could cope somewhat with the changes in color; using a preset would require a lot more effort in PP.
  2. The noise at high ISO wasn't as obvious. My first foray into this was with Auto ISO, which I set to max at 3200 with a minimum shutter speed of 1/250. The shots taken at ISO 800 showed no noticeable noise, but when the ISO got above 1600, it was obvious in the wall panels and the out-of-focus wood grain. The next time I tried this I dropped the max ISO to 1600 and the minimum shutter speed to 1/200. With the High ISO NR on, the results were good, but the rate of continuous shooting suffered.
So I'm going to try again with Auto WB (which should help with the odd lighting), High SIO NR off (which will help with the frame rate of continuous shooting), and apply ViewNX' Axial Color Aberration to deal with the color halos. I'll also add some negative exposure compensation to help with the blown highlights.

Last edited by TCav; Sep 11, 2009 at 8:54 AM.
Old Sep 11, 2009, 9:40 AM   #39
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
When implimenting the Axial Color Aberration in ViewNX, the resulting JPEG files are less than half the size of the originals, presumeably because the default JPEG compression is higher in ViewNX than in the Large/Fine images the D90 created, and I can't find a way to change the default. .
From what I can see of the online docs, if you use the convert files button in the toolbar and select jpeg as the file type, you'll see compression quality sliders. So, you may want to try that and see if it "remembers" the last used quality setting.
Old Sep 11, 2009, 11:08 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
From what I can see of the online docs, if you use the convert files button in the toolbar and select jpeg as the file type, you'll see compression quality sliders. So, you may want to try that and see if it "remembers" the last used quality setting.
I tried that. It didn't change.

What did happen was that it allowed me to select a lesser compression for images that had already been compressed as part of the Axial Color Aberration process. There doesn't seem to be much point to compressing them again, even to a lesser a degree. (Interestingly, the resulting files were actually larger than the original files straight from the camera.)