Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Sep 20, 2009, 1:16 AM   #1

Default Nikon D5000 purchase

Hi All,

I just purchased the Nikon D5000 and took some photos with it. I researched both the D90 and the D5000 and for me, the real difference was the type of lens that the D90 came with with the kit.... I already have the 18-200 VR lens so I didn't see the need there... The specs seemed relatively the same..... now being a newbie to photography (I love taking pics and I have a D40 but I felt that it wasn't enough to get me good shots of stage/sport), should I have gotten the D90 instead..... your thoughts/suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I really liked the way the pics turned out. Almost all my photos on sport mode came out perfectly..... so I was happy about that. I read all the reviews and comments about it, but I guess I just want to hear what the experts will say.

Thanks
kailona is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 20, 2009, 9:59 PM   #2

D90 has lower image noise at 1600 and 3200 ISO for stage/sports than the D5000 according to what I've read in Pop Photo, so is better in low light than the D5000. A faster lens would also help if money's no object.
Nikon D600, D90, D70, N90s, FM2, Canon S3 1S, Panasonic FZ35; Nikon 18-105 VR, 28-70 2.8 Sigma, 35-70 Nikkor, 70-200 2.8 Sigma, 70-300 4-5.6 Sigma, 85 1.8D Nikkor, 55-300 4-5.6 Nikkor, Sigma 17-50 2.8.
Franko170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2009, 5:17 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kailona View Post
I guess I just want to hear what the experts will say.
That statement, by definition, rules me out from commenting, but when did it matter if I know what I'm talking about?

I bought a D40, and in hindsite, I wish I would have spent the extra money on a D90, only because I have a few non-AFS lenses I would like to be able to use (me and MF don't get along so well yet). I think the choice of body is less important to your success than having faster glass. I tried to shoot at a night Padres game, and had just an awful time trying to get anything that was not blurry. I realize that there was some operator error involved, but there is a good reason why the pros spend so much money on fast teles...
F100, N50, 24f/2.8D, 85f/1.8D, 135f/2 DC D, 28-105D, 35-80D, 70-210D,
KDKarlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2009, 5:38 AM   #4

Thanks Kurt... what I meant really was for those who have more experience in photography; "expert" by definition or not....

I was advised in another post of mine that it would be the lens that would make the difference..... so yes, I am trying to save pennies for that perfect lens....

that'll be lots of pennies...... he he he....

I have the D40 too.... but like you was always getting blurred shots. probably by operator error too, but still. The lenses I have though, seemed so heavy for the little camera so that is why I am looking to get one last Nikon which will feel more steady with a heavier lens. I have the 18-200 VR and the 55-300 VR.... both are pretty heavy.

This purchase I am expecting to be my last body. I am really wanting one last lens which will be the one that was recommended on another post... I forget which it was something with 2.8 VR.....
Old Sep 21, 2009, 2:04 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franko170 View Post
D90 has lower image noise at 1600 and 3200 ISO for stage/sports than the D5000 according to what I've read in Pop Photo, so is better in low light than the D5000. A faster lens would also help if money's no object.
I'm no expert but I understood that the D90 and D5000 shared the same processor and sensor, inherited from the D300, so I dont see how one has a different image noise level than the other.
I also have this set up 18-200 plus the D5000 and I get some cracking shots with it and well pleased.The noise levels compared with the D40 is miles better, as I do like to take low light shots without flash. I would like a longer faster lens for bird shots but I dont see that happening, so I have just got to improve my stalking skills.Have a look at this sight for noise level comparisons http://www.imaging-resource.com/IMCOMP/COMPS01.HTM.

Last edited by deadshot; Sep 21, 2009 at 2:12 PM.
deadshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2009, 3:25 PM   #6

thanks deadshot!

BTW, in your low light photos do you use an external flash? which one do you use? I posted a question regarding a dark spot at the bottom of photos when I took pics using on the camera's built in flash and was advised that I should get an external..... I forget what the reasoning was. Do you have the same problem?
Old Sep 21, 2009, 10:55 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by kailona View Post
This purchase I am expecting to be my last body.
Uh, yeah. I said that, right before I started drooling over a D90. And don't even get me started on a D300s, or an FX camera...

F100, N50, 24f/2.8D, 85f/1.8D, 135f/2 DC D, 28-105D, 35-80D, 70-210D,
KDKarlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2009, 7:30 AM   #8

No really.... I did however return my 5000 to get a 90.... I kept reading in posts and on other reviews that the 90 was a more long term body than the 5000... whatever that means... So now I have a 90.... I really like the feel of it compared to the 5000......

this will be my last body, this will be my last body, this will be my last body.... I'll just keep telling myself that

what about the external flash.... which do you use?
Old Sep 22, 2009, 8:09 AM   #9

In regards to sports and low light. One known difference between D90 and D5000 is the built-in focus motor in the D90. I believe (although I'm not a nikon shooter) there is only one short prime lens that is AF-S. So, quite a number of lenses will not autofocus on the D5000. As an individual it's important to know whether or not you will need or want those lenses. For example, if your sports work was going to include basketball, volleyball or gymnastics, the 85mm 1.8 is a very popular lens. That lens won't AF on the D5000. If you use an f2.8 lens you'll need to shoot at ISO 3200-6400 to get fast enough shutter speeds.

One are that is not as well known is the AF systems. It is well documented that the D40/D60 had stripped down AF systems - not just the focus array but the 'brains' behind it. The focus array has been restored in the D5000. What is not well documented is whether or not there is a difference in the 'brains' that does the focusing - specifically predictive focusing which is paramount for sports shooting. It may be the same or it may not. Nikon certainly doesn't say. You'd have to get input from a SPORTS shooter that uses both. If you don't shoot sports and aren't shooting thousands of shots with predictive focus, it's tough to recognize differences. But, it's going to be tough finding those people. Most competant sports shooters in Nikon with experience will be using D300/700/D3 or D90 at the low end. So you've got to find that competant shooter that is also a gear-head that must own a D5000 simply because it exists.

As to sharing processor and sensor and thus noise levels should be the same - that's not necessarily true. While sensors and chips may be the same, image processing algorithms can differ. So there MAY be a difference between two models. Often times the newer model will be better, even if it's lower on the food chain. But, camera companies have a habit of intentionally crippling their lower end bodies in certain ways - after all they want you to upgrade. That's the whole thing. Nikon doesn't want people to be satisfied with the D5000.

In the end, I wouldn't stress over it. You're happy with the quality of the photos you're getting from your new camera. I suggest leaving it at that. There will always be a better camera out there. But it's still only a tool. Would a BMW be better than my Toyota? Certainly. But, I'm still happy with the Toyota - it's a fantastic tool at a good price point.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote