Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Sep 22, 2009, 10:51 AM   #1

Default Any news on D700 successor?

Has any one heard any news on the D700 successor? Curious to know. I do have a D300. But feel that a compact FF body would complement my FX body with it's greater dynamic range. And possibly 1080p video feature. Hoping to see that implemented in the next D700. So far only the Canon 5D Mark 2 offers this. Surprised Nikon is only offering 720p with select DLSRs.
agc828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 22, 2009, 10:59 AM   #2

I would suspect you're not going to hear anything about a replacement until next year. The D700 is only 14 months old I would think they'll want to release somthing with more enhancements than simply a video upgrade. But I suppose the could do a 700S type of thing where they did something like that.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2009, 12:43 PM   #3

JohnG,

I suspect you're right. Though Nikon did put out a successor to their D40 only a few months later. Any how I'm in no hurry to buy another camera body but was just curious.

And you're also right in that I'd doubt Nikon would release a replacement without offering several other improvements or new features other than the ability to take 12 minute 1080p video clips.

Guess I'll just have to wait for the next PMA.
Old Sep 22, 2009, 1:06 PM   #4
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by agc828 View Post
Has any one heard any news on the D700 successor? Curious to know. I do have a D300. But feel that a compact FF body would complement my FX body with it's greater dynamic range.
If you're shooting JPEG, your D300 has roughly 1 stop better dynamic range compared to the D700. If you're shooting raw, then Dynamic Range is roughly the same between them (less than 1/3 stop benefit to DR with the larger full frame 12MP sensor). The only time you're likely to see better DR with the D700 is shooting raw at higher ISO speeds.

IOW, I wouldn't look at models using the Nikon designed 12MP full frame sensor to offer any improvement in Dynamic Range compared to your D300 (the opposite is likely to be the case unless you're shooting raw and carefully processing your images).

If you want higher usable ISO speeds with faster AF performance, then going to a D700 or D3 makes sense. The Nikon designed full frame 12MP sensor used in these models is fantastic for higher ISO speed use. For most other uses, it doesn't really make a lot of sense to switch to a model using a Nikon 12MP full frame sensor (i.e., if you're expecting better DR in harsher daylight lighting, I'd stick to your D300).

If you want significantly better Dynamic Range (keeping in mind that your D300 has better DR compared to most other dSLR models, as the Sony 12MP APS-C size sensor used in the D300 excels in that area), then you'd need to move up to a D3x in the Nikon lineup (which uses a Sony 24MP full frame sensor). The DR from the D3x is more than a stop better than your D300 (or the D700 or D3 for that matter) when shooting raw.

I think a lower cost, higher resolution model is the next most likely gap Nikon will want to fill in the dSLR lineup above the D300 (since there is a huge price jump if you want a higher resolution model like the D3x, as compared to the Nikon 12MP offerings). Of course, I could be wrong (as that's just speculation on my part).

Sony (A850, A900) and Canon (EOS-5D Mark II) already offer lower priced full frame models with higher resolution (>20MP) sensors; whereas you have to move to a D3x costing 2 or 3 times as much if you want higher resolution in the Nikon lineup. Yes, the D3x is much better in some other areas. But, for most shooters wanting that much resolution, the features in a model like the D3x are probably not going to be a big deal (they're more likely to be interested in resolution and dynamic range).

As for Video, we'll just have to wait and see what they may or may not have planned for future models.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2009, 2:08 PM   #5

Thanks for the information JimC. But as I said. I was just curious.

And for a full stop better DR I would definitely not be shelling out 9k CAD$ for a D3x. Most definitely overkill for my casual/amateur needs. So I suppose I could either just keep waiting for a 21MP D700s or if I suddenly decide I truly need a FF body then I could go with the Canon 5DMK2. Though this would mean investing in new glass. That and the 5D is already able to shoot 12 min 1080p video clips.

For now I'm very happy with my D300.

Last edited by agc828; Sep 22, 2009 at 2:14 PM.
Old Sep 23, 2009, 10:25 AM   #6
Administrator

Note that Thom Hogan posted some interesting commentary with opinions on Nikon's direction on his site. Go to the section titled "Past Peak?" and you'll see it.

http://www.bythom.com/2009%20Nikon%20News.htm
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2009, 11:41 AM   #7

Interesting read JimC. So hopefully we will see a high-rez version of the D700 soon. Thanks for the link.

Last edited by agc828; Sep 26, 2009 at 5:20 PM.
Old Sep 26, 2009, 5:19 PM   #8

Other's think we should have heard something already about a D700x...

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d700x.htm

Hopefully we'll hear something soon...again...not that I'm in any hurry to get my hands on one. Even if it is announced in the coming months it wouldn't be available till probably early Spring. Will be interesting to see what the D700x includes feature wise. Will Ken's predictions ring true?