Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Sep 29, 2009, 4:28 AM   #1

Default Nikon D70 bracketing

I am writing an article (using the D70 Lantern guide) about bracketing. One way to bracket, I know, is by using Cam Control (it allows up to 15 shots), but when you set your camera to bracket, I am not sure where to go from here? Has anyone successfully bracketed with it (I am sure they have). Do you have to do anything in particular to know that it is taking the required shots?

http://www.wikihow.com/Bracket-Photos-With-a-Nikon-D70

Here is the article as it stands now. Any help or direction would be greatly appreciated.

Teresa
ttrimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 29, 2009, 10:04 AM   #2

Not sure what you're getting at. Your Wiki gives instructions for setting on the auto bracketing function. Only ever used exposure bracketing. You can also do this manually by using the over/under exposure settings or setting shutter and aperture manually. The point of it is really where there's a large range of shades for dark to light in the scene. The camera isn't capable of capturing a huge dynamic range. With bracketing you take several shots at different exposures. You can use thse for HDR if you've used a tripod and the scene is static. I tend to pick the best exposure and use that. I shoot RAW so with an underexposed shot you can lift some detail from the shadows. I've not really found overexposure useful as if the highlights are blown there's not much you can do about it.

Ken
Nagasaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2009, 11:13 AM   #3

Teresa,

It appears your wikipedia write-up is just a step-by-step of what buttons/dials to use to set up bracketing. I took a look at the D70 instruction manual and it has more information there. In essence it seems like you're writing instruction manual content - but that already exists. The manual is a free download from nikon's website so even if the camera is bought used a person can get a-hold of one.

So, I guess I'm also confused why the attempt to re-write this instruction set when it already exists.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2009, 12:44 PM   #4

Also, why do this for a camera that is 5 years old, and is replaced by what is now a third generation model (d70-D80-D90). As John said, many guides already exist, and likely there isn't a whole lot of people that will even need this info. No sense re-inventing the wheel.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2009, 9:36 PM   #5

It is just another resource, written in a way that anyone can understand it. I have read the manuals and I am still unable to figure it out. Will look up the manual again. It is meant to make it easier...the reason that I am using a 5 year old camera, is because that is what I have. I want to be able to illustrate the article.
Old Sep 30, 2009, 10:27 AM   #6

A scene will have an exposure calculated by the cameras meter say 1/125 at f8. Bracketing you would take a shot at different exposures say 1/60 at f8 and 1/250 at f8. Sometimes these over or underexposed shots produce a better result than the metered value. This is largely due to a wide range of shades and or the fact that the meter assumes that the scene averages out to a mid grey. If there's a lot of black or white in the scene the meter will get the exposue wrong. Bracketing in this case is just a way of ensuring you get the best exposure for the scene. Depending on the bracketing you have set the camera will take a series of 2 or 3 shots. Each time you press the button you get a different exposure until the bracketing sequence is complete, it then starts again from the beginning.

White balance exposure bracketing allows you to set say cloudy at the white balance and have the camera apply this and slight variations to it again so you can look and see which you prefer.

Ken
Nagasaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2009, 9:09 PM   #7

Most of the content on wikipedia is a bit more general, is it not?
Did you see this on wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bracketing
I think setting up bracketing on the D70/D80/D90 is fairly straightforward. If you want to share in an article - maybe focus more on how it will help you and when you should use it - then you can still use the D70 as an example of a specific camera.
cczych is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2009, 12:36 PM   #8

cczych: Could you elaborate a little more on what you mean by that? I am always looking for new material for writing articles on wikiHow. Someone pointed out recently, that since I have a D70 that it might be a good idea to write camera specific articles.