Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Oct 4, 2009, 10:06 PM   #11
Administrator

If you don't purchase it in the country it was intended for sale in (and they will know by the serial number and will want a receipt), it's very unlikely that Nikon USA will agree to repair it (you'd probably need to send it back to Nikon Japan unless the dealer is the one agreeing to repair or replace it). Again, read Thom's article about it. This is not a new thing. ;-)

http://www.bythom.com/warranty.htm

If you're not buying from an Authorized Nikon USA dealer, I'd suggest avoiding them (as that means the product is likely gray market).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2009, 10:08 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
BTW, I don't mean to sound like I'm giving you a hard time.

But, so many people run into issues when buying Nikon gear (finding out that Nikon USA won't service it when it breaks, or that they can't download printable manuals because Nikon USA requires a valid serial number from a Nikon USA model for some downloads) that I like to make members aware that many dealers are selling gray market gear.

I've deliberately purchased gray market before. But, personally, I'd shy away from doing that with a more expensive item (and I'd make sure to stick with an authorized Nikon USA dealer when buying new Nikon gear).
JimC:
I do appreciate the hard time. I need a kick in the pants. Search for "lopsie f****" in google and you will find a long post in which I dealt with a very VERY popular ebay diamond seller with excellent feedback who sold me a peice of crap diamond. I submitted so many pics and reviews, he bribed me by returning the item and paying me $500 to remove the posts and reverse the feedback by cancelling the auction... I left the "lopsie f****" thread up. I am certain I will deliver a ton of sh*t to these sellers if they're not giving me legit stuff at the same price I can get it from cameta.

Last edited by drewbot; Oct 4, 2009 at 10:20 PM.
drewbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2009, 10:16 PM   #13
Administrator

P.S.

Here's a quote from a page on Nikon's web site about it:

Quote:
Nikon Inc. USA cannot provide service, support or downloads for products that have not been imported by Nikon Inc. USA.

http://instrument-support.nikonusa.c...etail/a_id/331

Nikon Canada has the same policy:

http://help.nikon.ca/app/answers/detail/a_id/5546
Old Oct 5, 2009, 2:30 PM   #14

Thanks Jim - I truely appreciate your help, looking out for someone you don't know. Awesome

I drilled the sellers about the items. Apparently A&R Photo (the lens) insists that the warranty is fully in tact in the USA, and it is not a grey market item.

The other seller was cool- he wasn't sure about it so he refunded me.

I purchased the D3000 body from Cameta Camera for $411 shipped, which places the total around $708.

Closest deal was probably the Costco D3000 with 18-55mm lens at $595 with tax. Essentially a $113 upgrade to the 18-105mm lens which i'm happy about: both because the price differential between the lenses is around $150 and I actually wanted the 18-105mm lens which got decent reviews.
Old Oct 5, 2009, 2:43 PM   #15
Administrator

That sounds like a really good deal.

Cameta sells both new and Nikon factory refurbished gear (sold as "sales demos" if you look at the text in the listings). The refurbished gear is a good deal (you'll find a very low shutter actuation count on the cameras, and the gear will be in perfect, like new condition). The Nikon factory refurbished gear has a Nikon USA 90 Day warranty, but Cameta extends it to one year (and they're an authorized Nikon dealer). Their new Nikon gear has a Nikon USA 1 year warranty.

A number of our forum members have purchased Nikon gear from them (and I've bought some of my Minolta AF lenses from them that I use on my Sony A700).
Old Oct 5, 2009, 2:55 PM   #16

sweet! i definitely went with the new, unused d3000. i have a copy of Adobe Lightroom and a new 24" 1920x1080 monitor.. which is our TV... and some e-books, dvds, and the manuals. Maybe i'll even get a decent picture
Old Oct 5, 2009, 4:16 PM   #17

Relax drewbot:

I have been using Nikon cameras and lens, both film and digital for over 20 years and never had to return one for service. I know I have been lucky perhaps, but heavy use, good care and common sense will eliminate most causes of having to return products for service.
Valleyjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2009, 7:54 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valleyjim View Post
Relax drewbot:

I have been using Nikon cameras and lens, both film and digital for over 20 years and never had to return one for service. I know I have been lucky perhaps, but heavy use, good care and common sense will eliminate most causes of having to return products for service.
yeah i hear ya
'
JimC- I did register the new lens, and it starts iwth the "US" serial number. It seems legit enough at the moment. The body comes tomorrow. I happened upon some dude on craigslist who had a nice lens sitting around that he got on a trade and he's selling it to me for $30. It's a 55-200mm that i couldn't really find elsewhere online. Looks like the '05 type non-vr lens. i suppose i'll get it just to have the 200mm lens... since its so cheap. perfect shape, too