Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Oct 2, 2009, 10:01 PM   #1

Default Just bought new Nikon + Lens... let's see how I done

Well I got this for my wife. We got married a few weeks ago and she is obsessed with pictures. Ended up going through thousands of pictures of our wedding - seems as though the photo obsession runs in the family.

So i picked up a D60 for $364 to the door, plus a "18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G AF-S DX VR Nikkor Zoom Lens" for $297 to the door. Both new and carrying warranties... reputable sellers on flea-bay. Did a bit of research on that and found some snake-in-the-grass sellers. Anyways both came with some cool extras-- so I don't feel too bad about it yet. Total price is $661 so far, and I seemed to have avoided taxes. The wife wanted one of those Rebel XTi kits at costco for $800+9%(ca tax)=872. I figured that (I hope that) I did good by this cost compromise. The D40 and D3000 were options but I split the difference and went with the D60. I also thought about the 18-200mm Nikkor lens but couldn't find it for much under $750. I couldn't bring myself to purchase a kit unit for so much knowing that the lens will disappoint me, even with the 15MP rating on the rebel at costco.

So now I gotta learn to shoot ...Think I'm done buying stuff for now? I hope so 'cause I'm afraid I'm out of money...
Old Oct 3, 2009, 4:54 AM   #2
Administrator

Quote:
...Both new and carrying warranties... reputable sellers on flea-bay.
Welcome.

But, be aware that the price you paid looks too low. Much of the Nikon gear you see on Ebay is gray market (not intended for sale in the U.S.), often with misleading warranty information (1 year USA warranty, etc.), often meaning a store warranty versus a Nikon USA manufacturer's warranty. One exception I'm familiar with is Cameta Camera (they have a good reputation and they're an authorized Nikon USA Dealer selling Nikon cameras intended for sale in the U.S.). But, I'd avoid most Ebay dealers selling Nikon gear (as most of it is gray market and you won't be able to get service from Nikon USA).

Nikon USA will normally refuse to service a camera that wasn't intended for sale in the U.S., even if you are willing to pay them for the service. They will know by the camera's serial number. Nikon Canada has a similar policy (they will refuse to service a camera that wasn't intended for sale in Canada and purchased through an Authorized Nikon Canada Dealer, even if you are willing to pay them for the service).

So, it's a good idea to stick with an Authorized Nikon dealer in the region you live in. You can find a link to list of Authorized Nikon USA Dealers on this page:

http://www.nikonusa.com/Find-Your-Nikon/WhereToBuy.page

Thom Hogan has an article about Nikon's repair policies here:

http://www.bythom.com/warranty.htm
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2009, 5:22 AM   #3

The new wife is the one obsessed with pictures.

The new wife wants a Canon.

The new husband buys a cheaper Nikon.

Doesn't this sound like a plot for a sitcom episode?
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2009, 2:23 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
The new wife is the one obsessed with pictures.

The new wife wants a Canon.

The new husband buys a cheaper Nikon.

Doesn't this sound like a plot for a sitcom episode?

Nope...more like...hubby gonna suffer from that old 'Hawaiian disease' called 'lakanookie'

Most new hubbys get that within the first 2 years...
littlejohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2009, 8:55 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlejohn View Post
Most new hubbys get that within the first 2 years...
Yes, but let's be clear. I don't think that having it happen after just "... a few weeks ..." would constitute any sort of record.
Old Oct 4, 2009, 2:50 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
Yes, but let's be clear. I don't think that having it happen after just "... a few weeks ..." would constitute any sort of record.
naw i assure you that there is no problems with the lady's sex drive

i think that my purchase decision takes into account something quite different than the risk aversion to warranty repair. First, I would bet that there is a 90% chance that this camera will meet its end by getting lost, stolen, or broken in a way that is not covered by warranty within the next 12 months. I'm okay with that. Second, I never tend to deal with warranty issues anyways since (first) we will be on the road for the next year, making warranty repairs difficult and (second) I never tend to gain any benefit from electronics warranty. At worst the equipment will depreciate to a point that it is salvagable.. check ebay- d40 for parts go for $100+ and d60 goes for $150 on occasion. If you kill a $150 point and shoot cam you generally toss it in the trash. In other words, either I lose $150 on the body or at least i get something to take apart for fun...

the seller claims mfr warranty as well.. and has 100% positive---

as for the lens... the seller is out of usa, brooklyn. claims 5 year warranty. Not sure about the details but I could ask.

i think that if the cam and body make it through the year i will be happy. If it doesn't, well... i'll cope. hell, if it gets stolen i can claim the replacement cost by my homeowners for a higher price and make money on the deal . The woman will be happy with it- sold my motorcycle for it so that we can get a cam and a dual sport. that's the compromise!

in all... i'm not very risk averse. where's the fun?! I'm hoping she gets about 50,000 actuations out of it before it breaks and we can throw it away and get something new and improved. At this price point... i'm okay with a total loss, so long as i receive new equipment and get a fighting chance to learn with it.

as for the setup--- i was kindof hoping to get some feedback on my decision. I read numerous couts where people suggested getting the d60 over the d3000 and saving that $$ for a better lens. That's exactly what i did: lost a minor amount of novelty in the d3000 and upgraded the 18-55 to an 18-105 nikkor...

i actually noticed that cameta camera will supply the combo i purchased.... outright... for $667 shipped. I regretted not going with cameta, but I will check the warranty status and cross the fingers. I got more extras, but it is a competitive price-- not deceptively low. Hope for the best
Old Oct 4, 2009, 3:19 PM   #7
Administrator

It's not just warranty repairs. Nikon USA will usually refuse to service a gray market camera, period, even if you are willing to pay them for the service. ;-)

As for models for parts, you'd need to have the expertise, test equipment, Nikon proprietary calibration software, etc. to fix one, depending on what was wrong.

That one of the dealers was located in Brooklyn is usually a bad sign (that's where most of the vendors selling gray market gear are located).

As for the claim of a manufacturer's warranty, did it say Nikon USA Manufacturer's warranty? If not, you may need to send it back to Nikon in Japan for repair if it's a gray market camera.

I think Nikon's registration checks for a valid Nikon USA Serial Number. So, you may want to try that to see if it takes it:

http://support.nikontech.com/app/product_registration

Hopefully, you got lucky. But, there are a lot of vendors around selling gray market gear (and most customers just don't realize it until their product breaks and they try to get it serviced).
Old Oct 4, 2009, 4:18 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewbot View Post
I read numerous couts where people suggested getting the d60 over the d3000 ...
The D3000 has a larger screen and more AF Points, but otherwise they're very much alike. And if you got a good deal, you got a good deal.

Good luck with it.
Old Oct 4, 2009, 5:06 PM   #9
Administrator

BTW, I don't mean to sound like I'm giving you a hard time.

But, so many people run into issues when buying Nikon gear (finding out that Nikon USA won't service it when it breaks, or that they can't download printable manuals because Nikon USA requires a valid serial number from a Nikon USA model for some downloads) that I like to make members aware that many dealers are selling gray market gear.

I've deliberately purchased gray market before. But, personally, I'd shy away from doing that with a more expensive item (and I'd make sure to stick with an authorized Nikon USA dealer when buying new Nikon gear).
Old Oct 4, 2009, 8:42 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
BTW, I don't mean to sound like I'm giving you a hard time.

But, so many people run into issues when buying Nikon gear (finding out that Nikon USA won't service it when it breaks, or that they can't download printable manuals because Nikon USA requires a valid serial number from a Nikon USA model for some downloads) that I like to make members aware that many dealers are selling gray market gear.

I've deliberately purchased gray market before. But, personally, I'd shy away from doing that with a more expensive item (and I'd make sure to stick with an authorized Nikon USA dealer when buying new Nikon gear).
not to be defensive, but the nikon warranties for the products are attached, and make no mention of such denial of benefits. On the other hand, i still haven't seen the items ship, so i'm going to make sure that the sellers know not to ship them if they are not supported by service centers in the U.S.- Absolutely no reason to futz around with grey market parts. We'll see how this turns out

Nonetheless... i wrote the following to one of them, and somethng similar to the other:
"Hello. I won the auction for this D60 camera that is "new in the box." Also, I noticed that the product description mentions that the camera carries the manufacturer's warranty. I assume that this is true based on your stellar feedback count, but I wanted to make sure that I am the original consumer of this item since the Nikon warranty explicitly states that the warranty is non-transferrable. Also, if the camera is sold in a country that was not its intended wholesale destination, or else the camera is not sold by an authorized dealer, this may affect its ability to get service (at all, for cash), let alone get repair under warranty.

Please let me know if there is any question that the manufactrer warranty may not be fully excercised in the U.S. If there is a question, can you please cancel my auction as it is not as described? I would much appreciate it. "
Attached Images

Last edited by drewbot; Oct 4, 2009 at 9:04 PM. Reason: more stuff
drewbot is offline   Reply With Quote